Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

How old do you think the universe is?

Posted Nov 12, '12 at 1:05am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,676 posts

Knight

Coq, right now there is no "proof" but theories.

You do realize that in science that's the highest thing you can have. A theory isn't just some wild guess in science, it has evidence backing them up.

Posted Nov 12, '12 at 9:58am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,026 posts

Knight

I'm gonna take a wild shot at 50 billion years. Just because 17 billion doesn't feel big enough.

Even 1 billion is more time than a human could ever comprehend, what good does it do to throw subjective numbers out in the wild if we have an estimate backed up by evidence?

Posted Nov 12, '12 at 5:59pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,676 posts

Knight

Even 1 billion is more time than a human could ever comprehend, what good does it do to throw subjective numbers out in the wild if we have an estimate backed up by evidence?

Let's try to put it in terms people can relate to.
Let's say we could take each year and store it on a computer. Each year took up 1 megabyte of space. That would mean we would need a computer that had a 13.75 petabyte hard drive, or 13,750 terabyte hard drive.

Posted Nov 13, '12 at 10:43pm

SwordmasterQ

SwordmasterQ

23 posts

The universe is as old as time itself.

Posted Nov 14, '12 at 1:32am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,676 posts

Knight

The universe is as old as time itself.

Using time in such a general sense this might not be the case. For instance if we have multiple universes, time could exist in those other universes "before" this universe existed. Though time in the sense that we know it, this would be the case.

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 6:48pm

ptcdcs

ptcdcs

12 posts

Scientific Analysis ranges between 13.75 Billion Years - 7 Trillion. So it is undefined but very old.

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 11:21pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,676 posts

Knight

Scientific Analysis ranges between 13.75 Billion Years - 7 Trillion. So it is undefined but very old.

Do you have a source for this?

Posted Dec 17, '12 at 2:56pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,026 posts

Knight

13.75 Billion Years - 7 Trillion

That sounds random. Why, when giving a time range, making the minimum so exact compared to the max? Doesn't make any sense and gives me the suspicion you made up the 7 trillion.

Posted Dec 17, '12 at 3:45pm

wontgetmycatnip

wontgetmycatnip

95 posts

That sounds random. Why, when giving a time range, making the minimum so exact compared to the max? Doesn't make any sense and gives me the suspicion you made up the 7 trillion.

There are a variety of ways to measure the age of the earth; as science marches on, we will find more and more precise ways to measure the age of the earth.

Posted Dec 17, '12 at 4:22pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,026 posts

Knight

What I was trying to say is, 13.75 billion - 7 trillion years is (if I get the American system right) a time interval of 6.98625 trillion. 0.01375 trillion more or less doesn't seem worth notifying in any serious proposition then.

Reply to How old do you think the universe is?

You must be logged in to post a reply!