ForumsWEPRHow old do you think the universe is?

219 78522
dr_doughnut
dr_doughnut
72 posts
Nomad

I don't personally believe in billions an millions of years, but I want to know what people think.

• 219 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Also There have never been Unicorn sightings

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa hold up! How has no one used this yet??

Ok..so you are trying to claim that the universe was created by god...god..who you cannot prove his existence of. However, when asked about Unicorns..you say they do not exist solely because there have never been sightings

So..unicorns do not exist because they have never been seen...but your logic doesn't work for god?
404011xz
404011xz
212 posts
Farmer

Kasic, the this topic clearly states how old do you THINK the universe is. I gave how old I belive the universe is. Unless I'm really into the topic then I won't get into it. I was just giving a simple answer as to what I THINK. I don't really inted to stay in this are either. I try not to get in religious arguments, one of the worst kind of arguments you can get into.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

There are other versions?

There are over 35,000 versions. If you want to count each individual belief there are far more than that even.

Fun fact: in 1970 there were an estimated 666 million Catholics.

Gravity has been.

No the theory of gravity has not been proven. It is however supported by strong evidence.

Well He says words. The universe appears. That's how.

"pure freakinâ magic"

Yes but it doesn't make it false.

No it doesn't but it doesn't make it true either.

Also There have never been Unicorn sightings and Bill Clinton doesn't have fairy wings.

Actually there are people who report seeing unicorns. As for Billy boy, just because you never saw them doesn't mean they aren't there nor does it mean they are. The thing is your God claim is in the same boat as unicorns and fairy winged politicians.

No it's called R-E-L-I-G-I-O-N

It's not common sense, it's religion? I guess I can't argue with you there.

It's not a spell. He said "Let Their Be Life." And then he Breathed Life into the clay. Not just "Abracaherpyderp" And he did nothing and it magically happened.

Abracadabra originates from the Aramaic language "Avra Kadavrai" meaning "I will create as my words".

So yes, abracababra.

Heh Heh. I don't know what country you're from but it's "Innocent until proven Guilty" in the U.S

Yes it is innocent until proven guilty, that's what I said. The claim is they are not innocent, but until that is proven they are regarded as innocent. Your statement has us saying something is true (saying someone is guilty) until that is proven false (proven they are innocent, that they didn't do it).

Exactly. The Hebrew Test. I am a Christian though.

the old testament (a good chunk of your Bible) was originally in Hebrew.

You know forget educating yourself on science, start by educating your self about your own belief system.

I told you in my bible it just says God.

That's likely because your version of the Bible (and yes there are numerous other versions) just replaced Yahweh and other terms used with God.

And where is that.

Happy place, Happy place, Happy, place...

ON PAGE 8! Those two links and the super huge wall of text that took three posts to completely copy over just so you could read it!

Had to delete a few choice words there. Let's just say it's a good thing this is over the net instead of face to face or I might get arrested for homicide about now....

Kasic, the this topic clearly states how old do you THINK the universe is. I gave how old I belive the universe is. Unless I'm really into the topic then I won't get into it. I was just giving a simple answer as to what I THINK. I don't really inted to stay in this are either. I try not to get in religious arguments, one of the worst kind of arguments you can get into.

The thing is we don't have to rely on guess work, we have a way of knowing within a high degree of certainty.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Kasic, the this topic clearly states how old do you THINK the universe is. I gave how old I belive the universe is.

I understand that. However, when you state, "I'm not really sure" it seems to me that you would do a little research instead of just coming up with a number.

I try not to get in religious arguments

This isn't really a religious argument, per say. It's more of something that religion wants to have a say on and tries to adapt their beliefs to.

The thing is we don't have to rely on guess work, we have a way of knowing within a high degree of certainty.

If we go from the assumption that the big bang which was the "start" point for our universe was the first. Can't say whether there haven't been multiple crunches or what not.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Magic: Magic Words said, Life happens
God: God says words, Breathes Life into clay figures

1) That distinction between "magic words" and "god words" is purely manipulative; words are words and making a linguistical difference doesn't help the case.
2) Magic is usually usage of the caster's mana/energy that will create the wanted effect. in what way is that different from, say, breathing on clay to transmit god's energy to imbue life?

Well when he said the words. A Big Explosion Appeared that you call the Big Bang. It was actually how the universe was created but God had to be there to cause it.

Why those capitals on the beginning of the second sentence? Anyway..
1) The big bang is thought to be an expansion and not an explosion.
2) The only thing you do is taking the current stance on the matter and put "god did it" before that. It is your belief that god is the cause and this is fine, as it is something we don't know yet; but please accept that god being the cause is your belief, and not an evidenced fact. With all due respect for your belief and your need to defend it, but you should avoid presenting it as a fact, since it's not. Not to everyone.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

But I read it a ton

Including the parts about infanticide, sexism, genocide, and wars all at the direction of your deity? How many of the 600+ laws do you follow?

God: God says words, Breathes Life into clay figures

Still makes as much sense as Ymir creating humans from his armpit sweat (Norse creation story).

Well when he said the words. A Big Explosion Appeared that you call the Big Bang.

How is this not magic?

Also that strangely reminds of the Harry Potter spell "Avada Kedavra"

That was indeed derived from abracadabra.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

but God had to be there to cause it.

and why actually?
why was there any need for a god?
plz. tell me, what about the big bang had absolute need for a god?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

plz. tell me, what about the big bang had absolute need for a god?

He'll say "If not, then how?"
You'll say "We don't know yet."
He'll say "God makes more sense than nothing."
You'll say "It wasn't nothing. It was something. We just don't know yet."
He'll say "Then how do you know it wasn't God?"
You'll say "Why would a god be necessary?"
And it cycles.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Also if God didn't do it, who did?

http://www.barbapapa.fr/image/b-a-r-b-a-p-a-p-a.gif

He'll say "If not, then how?"
You'll say "We don't know yet."
He'll say "God makes more sense than nothing."
You'll say "It wasn't nothing. It was something. We just don't know yet."
He'll say "Then how do you know it wasn't God?"
You'll say "Why would a god be necessary?"
And it cycles.

lets see:
Well because nothing can't have created it.

It wasn't nothing. It was something. We just don't know what.

Otherwise it wouldn't have happened.

so you know exactly how it happened? i'm interested. how did it happen and what is your evidence that it happened that way and not in a other way?

what is your undeniable proof for god?
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Oxygen tank. Astronaut suit.

Next to all the mass in the universe. Gravity = max = you're dead.

Yes that's Innocent until proven Guilty. They're Legally Innocent until there is sufficient evidence to prove they're guilty.

You don't go to court when no one is accusing you. Saying that we have to provide evidence for a non-claim is saying that everyone has to go to court to prove they are innocent if we're following the same logic.

but God had to be there to cause it.

This is what we call a god of the gaps argument. Basically, we don't know, but you're assuming god without any evidence.

Know how many times in history "god" has been the answer to why/how something happened that has been definitively proven? 0.

Well because nothing can't have created it

Following this logic, God would himself need a creator. Saying he's omnipotent simply ignores the issue.

Also if God didn't do it, who did?

Why does there need to be a who?
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

If you don't know what then how do you know it WASN'T God?

plz. reply to the full comments and not only the part that has been guided out already.

i ask again:
-what about the big bang had absolute need for a god?

- so you know exactly how it happened? i'm interested. how did it happen and what is your evidence that it happened that way and not in a other way?

-what is your undeniable proof for god?

-Why does there need to be a who?
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

We've been over this.

We have no reason to assume it was a god, much less -your- specific god. There are hundreds of thousands of different gods over time that have had the creation of the universe attributed to them.

How about you respond to some of our statements/questions, instead of simply avoiding everything?

Harking back to page 8:

"You're the one making the claim that it was God who started it all. Since you assert that, you need evidence."

"Proof for God please."

"What's your denomination?"
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

We've been over this.

We have no reason to assume it was a god, much less -your- specific god. There are hundreds of thousands of different gods over time that have had the creation of the universe attributed to them.

How about you respond to some of our statements/questions, instead of simply avoiding everything?

Harking back to page 8:

"You're the one making the claim that it was God who started it all. Since you assert that, you need evidence."

"Proof for God please."

"What's your denomination?"
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Okay if God didn't do it, WHAT Did.

[url=http://www.barbapapa.fr/image/b-a-r-b-a-p-a-p-a.gif]

The universe created God

so how do we build a god?
(i wanna sell gods i bet i can make a good profit on it.)

if the universe makes a god. then why can't wee see, feel, hear or smell god?

I don't have any.

but at the same time your 100% sure that god made a big bang.
if you can't even proof god yourself. why should we believe this unproven god did it?

But Since you don't have undeniable proof to prove God DOESN'T exist.

your the one making the claim tat he exists and so it's up to you to proof this.

You can't prove that he doesn't exist.

i think barbapapa exists. and you have no proof that barbapapa doesn't.
therefor barbapapa created the universe by a big bang.

The fact that something needs to be created to exist. And something needs to create it.

and why / how is god the only available option?

I never said I knew exactly how it happened.

you know precise enough to say whitout a doubt that "god did it"
and i want to know how you can be so sure about "god did it"
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

@blk, there was more to my post but it isn't showing up at the moment. So...until then, I'll pursue one of the ones you dodged earlier that haven't appeared.

Since you seem to be admitting here that your claim is unsubstantiated then it should be considered invalid.

Earlier you said "I understand common sense though. Something that doesn't have proof to back it up is invalid."

So yeah. What do you have to say about that?
Showing 91-105 of 219