Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think Obama is so great?

Thread Locked

Posted Nov 7, '12 at 6:16am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,877 posts

Knight

Bailed out banks and the auto industry which is good in the long run. Contrary to what others say the domino effect would have just crashed the economy further. Came out for gays and stood for equality. Reduced taxes on middle class and SMEs. Softened the harsh foreign Bush tone and eon much goodwill. Much more effective in tackling terrorism. Also stepped up through trade war with China which I vehemently codemn but it goes down well with Americans. Mixed track record on immigration. Dubious honor of deporting the most people but also introduced acts that help illegal immigrants integrate into society. Fought for green energy and reduced the oil reliance to a low point in decades.

Posted Nov 7, '12 at 7:43am

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

How he got re-elected after doing such a bad job the first time is beyond me.

that is what the world thought when they voted bush jr. in for a 2nd time.
if obama keeps doing what he is doing now the the last  year of his presidency
the usa debt will lower for a change.
his world politics is much better then that of romney. romney wants the entire world under usa controle. obama is way more open to the rest of the world.
if i really wanted to i could meet obama because he is open for investments from abroad. whit romney that is just out of the question.
we already know obama and he is a nice guy. romney didn't look like a nice guy to me.
everything points at obama did a good job and is liked (outside usa). i would never do business whit a snail as romney.

so i dont think obama is so great. he is only much greater then romney could ever wish to be.

Posted Nov 7, '12 at 8:16am

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

Nobody has yet pointed out that under the Bush administration, the job market in the US didn't just slow down, it shrunk. Obama's administration inherited the situation right at the nadir when things were going into freefall. That situation has not only been rectified, it was reversed. If you do the math, no amount of rhetoric can hide the objective fact that jobs have increased for, what was it, 18 months in a row and the unemployment rate is falling, and that demonstrates dedication to saving the US economy.

The way I see things from over here, that's ultimately what matters for the US at this stage. If you're interested in policy, that is. If you're not, then there's the fact Obama's a freaking rock star. I suspect that's why just about every single country in the world (with two equivocal exceptions that didn't care for either candidate) that was ever asked would prefer Obama as the US president.

Posted Nov 7, '12 at 9:49am

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

I suspect that's why just about every single country in the world (with two equivocal exceptions that didn't care for either candidate) that was ever asked would prefer Obama as the US president.

Ironically, I've heard this is a reason why people -don't- want Obama. What are we, a bunch of 3 year olds who mindlessly do the opposite of what people say simply because we're immature and think it's funny?

As for Obama being a great public speaker, I don't really agree. That halting pattern with the same rising tone before the stop as if everything he says is a question...Is it so hard to say 8 words in a row?

Posted Nov 7, '12 at 10:00am

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,069 posts

Knight

As for Obama being a great public speaker, I don't really agree. That halting pattern with the same rising tone before the stop as if everything he says is a question...Is it so hard to say 8 words in a row?

Honestly, Obama always came off as a liar to me. It's not even what he said that sounded strange, it's the way he spoke.

You ever notice how in many TV shows, they always make it obvious someone is lying by how they speak? Obama just comes off as that transparent to me. : /

Posted Nov 7, '12 at 10:19am

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

Obama isn't a person who likes to speak just to hear his own voice. Of course, it is so easy to insult his way of speaking on the internet, where your views are just words on a lit-up page. Personally, I'd hate being President. I dislike giving presentations and speeches. In my opinion, A: Can't freaking judge a politician JUST by how he speaks and B: He's doing more then anyone who slangs him.

Posted Nov 7, '12 at 10:32am

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

Obama isn't a person who likes to speak just to hear his own voice

That's fine. Just because he doesn't speak to hear himself speak doesn't mean he should speak in that halting manner.

Of course, it is so easy to insult his way of speaking on the internet, where your views are just words on a lit-up page.

It is, but that doesn't mean they aren't true. If you're trying to insinuate whether I'm just saying things because I can, that isn't the case.

A: Can't freaking judge a politician JUST by how he speaks

I don't judge anyone by just a single attribute.

B: He's doing more then anyone who slangs him.

Which is why he's still president, no? :P

Honestly, Obama always came off as a liar to me.

He comes across to me as someone who knows people want to hear the truth, but is intelligent enough to know that not everything he says can happen when he has to convince many other people than himself in order to get it done. So, sort of lying, but not...aka, politics.

Posted Nov 7, '12 at 11:38am

handlerfan

handlerfan

192 posts

I think that Obama was the best choice for US President because he had done the job and succeeded to some extent in a difficult situation, and he is aware of what to expect in the next four years. I think that Romney was out of touch with political reality with some of his promises. I percieved that he was going to increase defence spending, building ships the Navy did not need, and reduce taxation at the same time.
I'd rather have a US President with his feet on the ground than one living in cloud cuckoo land.
It doesn't matter now whether Romney would have come good on his promises or not. The election is over.

Posted Nov 7, '12 at 12:15pm

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,069 posts

Knight

He comes across to me as someone who knows people want to hear the truth, but is intelligent enough to know that not everything he says can happen when he has to convince many other people than himself in order to get it done. So, sort of lying, but not...aka, politics.

Not even that. Obama feeds everyone this soft soap so he can accomplish his own personal agenda. It's not that Obama wants to avoid making promises he can't keep, he remains vague so he can misconstrue his words to fit any decision he makes.

Soft soap.

Posted Nov 7, '12 at 12:20pm

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,069 posts

Knight

Also, I should add: Obama does seem to be more open now than he was in the past.

At first, Obama was all about being neutral, and how he was going to listen to both liberals and conservatives to solve problems. He stated that he didn't want people to look at him as if he was a liberal, but rather as if he was someone who wanted to seek solutions. Right after he becomes president, he essentially tells McCain to stfu with his conservative views (because Obama won and McCain lost - the reason Obama gave to telling McCain to shut his face hole).

Today, Obama has shown his truer colors. He's openly against the conservative party, and his focus is on class warfare.