ForumsWEPRObama, 2012-2016 President of the United States of America

255 72418
superbobdabest
superbobdabest
305 posts
Nomad

Well he won.

274-203

Romney got more votes but Obama got more elecrol votes.

COMMENT!

• 255 Replies
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

Sure, the economy in America seemed to stabilize, but the other countries involved in the war fell into their own economic hardships. I'm wondering why war only helped America, but no one else.

As nichodemus said, no battles were fought in America. The other reason is everyone who wasn't fighting was at home working in the millions of jobs created to support the military. Of course in the long run that would come back to hurt the US.

As it is, though, we must remember that war is the destruction of lives and resources alike. Imagine all the materials and lives we would still have if we hadn't gone to war. Even if we assume war did bring the U.S. out of the Great Depression, look at the cost.

The war cost both lives and resources yes, but also brought the US great economic power and the baby boom. I'm not saying the war was a good thing, but at the time it did significantly help the US.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Sure, the economy in America seemed to stabilize, but the other countries involved in the war fell into their own economic hardships. I'm wondering why war only helped America, but no one else.

Given how much more reliant we all are (the whole planet) is on a more globalized economy, I'm sure if such events replayed this wouldn't be the result.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

The war cost both lives and resources yes, but also brought the US great economic power and the baby boom. I'm not saying the war was a good thing, but at the time it did significantly help the US.

Was war necessary to helping the US, or do you believe it would have been possible to end the Great Depression and prosper without war?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Was war necessary to helping the US, or do you believe it would have been possible to end the Great Depression and prosper without war?

It would have taken much longer. The US was already beginning to recover.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

I think we could have gotten out of the Great Depression without war, but it would have been much harder. As was shown during the war, we had the capability to build our economy, the only question would be how long would it have taken to realize that without the war.
goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

The War caused capital flight from Europe and to some small extent other areas of the globe. Modern portfolio theory suggests that maximizing relative risk-adjusted expected return drives the choice between domestic assets and foreign assets (flight capital). The domestic determinants of relative expected return include risks, capital productivity, and their underlying determinant, notably the macroeconomic environment.
Hence, simply put, investing your money in Europe was crazy risky, you could lose your money in a blink of the eye, so a lot of people invested somewhere else: mainly the U.S.A.
Now, adding the gold standard of that time, the flight to safety caused substantial gold flows to America. The Treasury Department used that gold inflow to increase the money supply.
The result was an aggressive monetary expansion that effectively ended deflation. Due to this monetary expansion, real interest rates fell precipitously in 1933 and remained low or negative throughout most of the second half of the 1930s. These low real interest rates are closely correlated with a strong rebound in interest-sensitive spending. Thus, from 1933 to 1937, real gross domestic product grew at an annual rate of almost 10 percent, and unemployment fell from 25 percent to 14.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Now, adding the gold standard of that time, the flight to safety caused substantial gold flows to America. The Treasury Department used that gold inflow to increase the money supply.
The result was an aggressive monetary expansion that effectively ended deflation. Due to this monetary expansion, real interest rates fell precipitously in 1933 and remained low or negative throughout most of the second half of the 1930s. These low real interest rates are closely correlated with a strong rebound in interest-sensitive spending. Thus, from 1933 to 1937, real gross domestic product grew at an annual rate of almost 10 percent, and unemployment fell from 25 percent to 14.

Yes, apart from this, I forgot to mention the Bretton Woods system that was only allowed to come into form after the war. The war made it possible, and ended the idea that autarky and currency wars were the way forward.
fracell
fracell
67 posts
Nomad

obama is annoying considering the fact he wants to help the economy but in reality gives most of tax payers money to obamacare

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

No JFK was the best president ever. He sent a man to the moon.

Please tell me that isn't your only reason for saying JFK was the best president ever...
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Please tell me that isn't your only reason for saying JFK was the best president ever...
Fun Fact: People were worried that JFK would follow whatever suggestions the Pope would make, because of his Catholic Religion.

(overcoming this kinda gives him a higher slot on the good/bad president list)

Another Fun Fact: The 2-term/10 year limit for time in the office of the President was officially made law after FDR died during his fourth term (before that it was a tradition.)

p.s. using the above, I wouldn't be surprised if someone compared FDR to Darth Sidious (both went over the standard limit during a war)

~~~Darth Caedus
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

p.s. using the above, I wouldn't be surprised if someone compared FDR to Darth Sidious (both went over the standard limit during a war)

Can you stop with the SW references and comparisons? They seem fascinating at first glance, but do nothing but confuse with superficial reasoning.

FDR never aimed to be a dictator, he was pushed by war circumstances that he didn't create, whilst Sidious did the inverse.

FDR never instigated one man rule, Sidious did.

FDR doesn't have fantastic magical powers, Sidious did.

FDR didn't wield a red glowstick, Sidious did.
JuiceyBox
JuiceyBox
129 posts
Peasant

I personally preferred Romney over Obama. I can't really go to detail right now.

Let's just say that Obama was at a state of majorly changing America. And he didn't do as well.

While Romney was at a state of changing America *slightly*. And he did as well as Obama.

I'll explain.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Can you stop with the SW references and comparisons? They seem fascinating at first glance, but do nothing but confuse with superficial reasoning.
I never said that I would make that comparison, but I am sure some people are of a low enough level of intelligence to make the comparison.

FDR never instigated one man rule, Sidious did.
He did get the Senate's approval.

FDR doesn't have fantastic magical powers, Sidious did.
The force comes from the midichlorian life forms, don't ask how it works.

SW references and comparisons?
Would you rather I made references to the Doctor?

@JB, your comment doesn't make much sense.

~~~Darth Caedus
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

He did get the Senate's approval.

That's completely sidestepping the point. He never did make a move to consolidate his rule into anything that was remotely a dictatorship. Granted, he died halfway through, but he still let himself be constrained by Congress. Sidious never did, but steadily increased his powers.

The force comes from the midichlorian life forms, don't ask how it works.

I'm a bigger Star Wars fanboy than you think I am. It was only introduced as a concept in Episode I, which was what enraged most of the older folks as it seemed just a biological accident and coincidence, compared to the spiritual connection many perceived it to be.

Would you rather I made references to the Doctor?

None, unless really necessary as it just goes offtrack.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Anyway, sorry for the harshness Jacen, real life affects my internet mood. :|

Showing 166-180 of 255