Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Obama, 2012-2016 President of the United States of America

Posted Nov 6, '12 at 11:49pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

What are electoral votes? I thought the total amount of votes were what counted most?

There has been talk of doing away with electoral votes - which makes sense, since it's more of a direct democracy that way - but apparently electoral votes are easier to exploit, so they keep it.

They should probably do away with the electoral vote and the two party-system.

Posted Nov 6, '12 at 11:51pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,155 posts

What are electoral votes?

Electoral votes are the points you win when you gain a majority of the vote in a state. If you win 51% of the votes in a state, you win all of the points of that state, since the USA adopts a "winner takes all" policy in regards to the Electoral College.

I thought the total amount of votes were what counted most?

Popular vote more often than not decides the president, but there are rare times (like this one and in 2000) where one may not have the majority vote, but have more electoral votes than the opponent, which trumps majority vote in priority. It's silly, I know.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Let's keep things nice and easy, guys. We're all a big happy family in here.

Posted Nov 6, '12 at 11:52pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,236 posts

Right now, based on how many voters have reported, Obama has won, but there are some states (ohio) with only a small difference, and the remaining voters (if they vote), could still turn the tide.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Nov 6, '12 at 11:55pm

SSTG

SSTG

11,059 posts

Knight

And honestly give me one even remotely ok reason as to why you honk he doesn't care about anyone but himself? Is it because he doesn't agree with your black massiah?

Man why are you so racist?
Blame the Tea Party for dividing the Republican camp.
Have you ever thought that people are scared about the future so they decided to stay with Obama instead of taking a chance with an hypocrite who keep changing his opinion on everything?

Posted Nov 6, '12 at 11:55pm

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

2,962 posts

It's silly, I know

No, it's idiocy to allow a loophole like this so that we are forced to get a president even though most of the voters didn't want said candidate as president. Or at least they should make it by county and not the whole state, that could have really changed things in places like California where Romney would have won in at least some counties and other places, popular vote should be he way if works not maybe the popular vote will win maybe it won't.

Posted Nov 6, '12 at 11:57pm

VonHeisenbourg

VonHeisenbourg

215 posts

Electoral votes are the points you win when you gain a majority of the vote in a state. If you win 51% of the votes in a state, you win all of the points of that state, since the USA adopts a "winner takes all" policy in regards to the Electoral College.

Ah I understand, so that is kind of like Alabama has 9 electoral votes and the first president to reach 270 won? Is that what that thing where it says stuff like Romney: 84 and Obama: 64 with a big 270 on the top means?

That is kind of ridiculous in my opinion, ah well, but then again I'm not American. Still i think the total votes should determine the winner, and not electoral votes.

It's silly, I know.

Awesome so I'm not alone in thinking this :)

Posted Nov 7, '12 at 12:03am

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,155 posts

Some people are in favor of making the Electoral College more specific, such as giving points based on percentage, or giving full points by district/county, but I don't believe having more specific methods will be any different than popular vote, since they both boil down to "percentages". I'm just in favor of having it scraped altogether. We don't do the same for Governors by giving them points by district/county, we do it the way it was meant to be.

Posted Nov 7, '12 at 12:09am

SSTG

SSTG

11,059 posts

Knight

Anyway it's not over yet, Romney might still win once they count all the votes or the margin might be much smaller. We won't know for sure before a few days.

Posted Nov 7, '12 at 12:17am

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

2,962 posts

Man why are you so racist?

I'm not racist I'm just referring to all he democrats using the race card. Honestly it's getting backwards from what it was, now (some) blacks are saying that everything bad that happens to a black person is because of racism and they're being exceedingly racist whilst getting away with it because they're black.

Have you ever thought that people are scared about the future so they decided to stay with Obama instead of taking a chance with an hypocrite who keep changing his opinion on everything?

Oh ok it's because he's a hypocrite, can you show me him being a hypocrite?
Oh he changes his opinions? Well nobody complained when his opinion on gay marriage "evolved".

So they were so scared of the future that they voted for the worst president in U.S. history? Well if the people are that stupid then they (those who voted for him) deserve all the crap Obama will be throwing at them. I mean seriously if they were so scared they voted for he worst president ever as opposed to someone they thought might have been a bad president?

Well you have confirmed it, America is a hopeless country full of blithering idiots, led by lying idiots.

Posted Nov 7, '12 at 12:24am

SSTG

SSTG

11,059 posts

Knight

Well you have confirmed it, America is a hopeless country full of blithering idiots, led by lying idiots.

I agree, look at all the red states!

Reply to Obama, 2012-2016 President of the United States of America

You must be logged in to post a reply!