Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Obama, 2012-2016 President of the United States of America

Posted Dec 21, '12 at 12:33am

404011xz

404011xz

218 posts

You ever hear of a man called George Washington Carver? A brilliant man he was. He found thousands of uses for peanuts. If something as simple as peanuts could be used in thousands of different ways then I believe other agricultural products can also be used to such effect. I agree with hand, money is only as valuable as we say it is. If you think about it all it is good for in reallife is starting a fire. Back in the old day they used to barter for everything. Why can't we simply do that again? Seemed to work back then, and now we wouldn't have to deal with banks and such. The government would simply run on shiny gold that people value for some reason.

Posted Dec 21, '12 at 1:01am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,871 posts

Knight

George Washington Carver

How does this even relate to the discussion? If you're point out that Americans used to be industrious entrepreneurs, no one is denying that. But this was in the past. America lost much of its glimmer and decreased in productivity per worker during the 70s and 80s.

Back in the old day they used to barter for everything. Why can't we simply do that again? Seemed to work back then, and now we wouldn't have to deal with banks and such.

Because bartering is awfully inefficient and a hassle. Money is a common medium which we can value all goods fairly and to the best estimation. Say if I traded 1 apple for 2 oranges. And that 1 orange can be traded for one pear. But if 1 apple doesn't get bartered for 1 pear, then there is a breakdown in the system. Money ensures that no such cheating can occur.

And with transactions on the scale today, you'll waste hours of time counting those apples. Nightmare logistics.

Another reason is that now we increasingly shift to service sectors, which have very intangible and debatable values. A modern society cannot run of that.  For instance, I am a factory worker at a power plant and my work is to provide maintenance for the wiring. What would they give me in exchange: some of the electricity I help to generate? Fine, but how do I now go and exchange it for the hundreds of things that I need or want: food, clothes, education for my kids, gasoline? I'll have to find people one by one, who are willing to supply me such goods at the amount of electricity I'm willing to give (Assuming of course, electricity can be bottled up, which it can't.). Then the negotiations begin, which takes up valuable time. Money ensures a fixed price.

The problem with the barter system is that the demand of goods fluctuates greatly, but the value of money stays much more constant. Finding a market equilibrium, or barter point for 2 goods without money involved is going to be a tremendously hard task.

Posted Dec 21, '12 at 7:37am

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

The government would simply run on shiny gold that people value for some reason.

you mean salt. befor there was money the most valued resource was salt.

Posted Dec 21, '12 at 7:51am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,871 posts

Knight

I like your sarcasm Party.

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 12:52am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,275 posts

He found thousands of uses for peanuts

So that is what 100 is called now-a-days?

Posted Dec 23, '12 at 12:54am

Demarius

Demarius

163 posts

Obama is probably one of the best presidents we've had in while. Thank God Romney didn't win. This country would have gone to hell if that happpened.

Posted Dec 23, '12 at 4:02am

handlerfan

handlerfan

192 posts

I think that the problem with barter is the short shelf life of some goods. For example, if we arranged to trade a bowl of soup for a wild flower, the bowl of soup might be cold by the time a wild flower could be found.

Posted Dec 23, '12 at 4:16am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,871 posts

Knight

I think that the problem with barter is the short shelf life of some goods. For example, if we arranged to trade a bowl of soup for a wild flower, the bowl of soup might be cold by the time a wild flower could be found.

That's one of the problems.

Posted Dec 24, '12 at 1:20am

handlerfan

handlerfan

192 posts

I went with what sounds good rather than what is precise again
I imagine that it's a good time of the year to be President with the good will spirit taking hold of the country. I wish Obama a Happy Holiday.

Posted Dec 25, '12 at 10:02pm

lol7776

lol7776

36 posts

Do  I have to comment? :(

Reply to Obama, 2012-2016 President of the United States of America

You must be logged in to post a reply!