ForumsWEPRWhen we Left Earth: The NASA Missions.

4 2791
Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Did anyone see this last night on Discovery? I plan to go to college and study astronomy, so of course I watched this! Although, space launches don't have much to do with actual astronomy XP

Here is the home page for this episode. [url]http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/nasa/nasa.html[/url]

Now this whole thing was about the missions to the moon in the 60's. It told many stories of the different events, including one, where 3 astronauts died before lift off. The astronauts were put into their pod, and they only put pure oxygen into the pod. That caused a reaction with a wire under the seat, and it all went up in flames.

This thread is to talk about what you thought about it, (if you saw it) or to talk about the missions in general

• 4 Replies
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

I didn't see it, but I am definitely interesting in the subject. I maxed out all the Astronomy I could take for my majors. I loved it. We just didn't have the option to major in it and I tried physics for 1 semester...and that didn't end well.

Anyway, I am up and down about NASA. My grandfather has worked a bit with them. He moved from Spain to California to work for Lockheed and then to Texas when it moved again. I have heard many, many, many stories that would change the views on government run space programs. I personally think it should all be privately owned.

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
585 posts
Nomad

Asherlee, I think the reason it isn't privately owned is because when we started the missions to the moon, part of our intentions were to beat the Soviets there. It was the Cold War and it was an American interest as a whole country to rub it in the faces of the Russians. This way, one company doesn't get credit, but instead the country does.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Ye but now the cold war is over ninjacube so NASA doesnt have to represent the whole of US. Also Asherlee i don't know too much anout NASA but i would have thought it being government funded would give it more money to run things.

Erako
Erako
121 posts
Nomad

Oh yeah! I remember reading about that really cool astronaut Gus Grissom and his two other team members who exploded...that was awful...

Showing 1-4 of 4