Forums

ForumsProgramming Forum

[GUIDE] How to make Games for free

Posted Jul 10, '14 at 9:12pm

weirdlike

weirdlike

633 posts

Knight

Unity is not free which is opposite of this thread. I would look more towards MonoGame.

As for flash I think it still has room, I mean there are still java games out there, and people were saying the same thing about java.

Posted Jul 10, '14 at 9:34pm

leoxs

leoxs

3 posts

well, unity is free is you win less than $100.000, I'm not thinking making that money haha
I will look monogame, thanks.

Posted Jul 11, '14 at 5:35pm

KentyBK

KentyBK

555 posts

Ultimately, the tools you use don't really matter as long as you can finish something with it. For someone that's trying to get into game making (which is who I tried aiming the thread at), it's more important to get some experience first, both in general programming and the game dev specific things.

Although I think it's a good idea to also look into other options that aren't Flash-related. Methinks I should update the OP a bit in the future.

One word on Unity: It's different from something like MonoGame in that's it's a full engine for making games, rather than just a code library. As such, the learning curve might be a bit higher, especially if someone has no previous coding experience, which is why I didn't initially list it in the OP.

Having said that, I do think it's a good idea to atleast try out the free license and see how comfortable you are with it (even if it's a bit limited compared to the paid licenses). Both Unity and MonoGame use C#, so you can apply your learned coding experience pretty easily.

Posted Jul 13, '14 at 11:32pm

Planemaster13

Planemaster13

25 posts

If anyone's having trouble with learning to code, try using Scratch [url=scratch.mit.edu]. This only applies if your trying to learn java since scratch is a visual programming version of java witch will lay out the concepts. it's relatively easy to use and you can learn the advanced concepts of it in a month or two.

last edited Jul 13 2014 11:33 pm by Planemaster13

Posted Jul 16, '14 at 4:56pm

09philj

09philj

1,251 posts

Posted Jul 19, '14 at 8:16am

Planemaster13

Planemaster13

25 posts

Ok, thanks :)

Posted Sep 22, '14 at 6:01am

AppuArmor

AppuArmor

1 post

go for stencyls but I would suggest build box to create games. its like a power -point tool. Just pick and drop and your game developments half way there !

Posted Oct 29, '14 at 5:52pm

bigattck

bigattck

4 posts

i think the list needs a new free editing game tool. i suggest Ren'Py a novel making software that anyone can learn basic coding and make a game at the same time. its 100% free even for commercial use, It supports Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and Android.

http://www.renpy.org/

Posted Oct 31, '14 at 3:05pm

Aumir

Aumir

1 post

Thank you very much for this guide, I hope I finally have some free time to try to make something... XD It is a shame we can't give you upvotes or something!

Reply to [GUIDE] How to make Games for free

You must be logged in to post a reply!