Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Louisiana Petitions To Secede

Posted Nov 12, '12 at 11:39pm

dair5

dair5

2,479 posts

Are any of these petitions taken seriously by anyone? I haven't even heard about the petition in mt state until now and it probably won't even get far. Also, 25,000 seems like a really low number for some places. It's not even 2 percent of my city. It seems to me like nobody but the petitioners are actually serious about this. And considering they're asking to secede I feel that we should be. At least a little. Does anyone know if this has ever happened before?

Posted Nov 13, '12 at 12:10am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,667 posts

Knight

Does anyone know if this has ever happened before?

No this isn't the first time this stunt has been pulled. Texas even has it's own wiki page on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Secession_Movement

Posted Nov 13, '12 at 12:20am

PanzerTank

PanzerTank

443 posts

Taxas has now reached over 55,000 petitioners.

Texas

Posted Nov 13, '12 at 6:07am

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

Honestly, calling the people who want to secede butthurt is a pretty lazy argument. [butthurt = mad] I mean, obviously they're mad, otherwise they wouldn't want to secede.

Sure okay, let's acknowledge this. I also want to see how far this goes. It'd almost be amusing (because I don't live there), to see how a presumably legit election causes civil unrest on this scale. I'd be amused to see a symbolic failure of the democratic institution in the process of observing its own ideals, no less in a country that presumes to export its democratic model of governance to other nations. It'd be amusing that a country that's used to running the show becomes its own spectacle in this manner.

And pretty much the rest of the world thinks the same thing. So really, yes, butthurt might be a lazy way of putting it, but when that's what most of the so-called free world thinks, does the laziness matter?

Posted Nov 13, '12 at 6:56am

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,069 posts

Knight

And pretty much the rest of the world thinks the same thing. So really, yes, butthurt might be a lazy way of putting it, but when that's what most of the so-called free world thinks, does the laziness matter?

An appropriate response to "They're just butthurt," or, "They're just mad," would be the following.

No, they aren't 'just' mad. They believe the government is running off course, and they believe it's their duty to keep the government on track. Of course they're mad, but to suggest that anger is their only motivation completely dodges all ideology those people hold.

Posted Nov 13, '12 at 7:09am

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

It's like you didn't even read the rest of my post, Nemo D:

Posted Nov 13, '12 at 8:19am

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,069 posts

Knight

It's like you didn't even read the rest of my post, Nemo D:

Sorry, I really have nothing else to comment on. What you say makes sense.

It would be interesting to see how the government reacts to seceding states, except the states need the government's permission in the first place. It's not going to happen unless the federal government is okay with them leaving.

It's an interesting idea though.

I just have a pet peeve when people use the word butthurt. It works great for trolling or at times when you don't need to really back anything you say up, but when it comes to discussion debatable topics, I avoid it, because it's not a proper argument - and when used alongside a proper argument, it's redundant.

Posted Nov 13, '12 at 12:44pm

PanzerTank

PanzerTank

443 posts

In other news 5 states have reached nearly/slightly above 20,000 signatures in their petitions, Louisiana has reached 28,000 signatures, and Texas has reached slightly above 78,000 signatures.

Oh and there is a petition that has above 33,000 signatures for a recount of the election.

White House Petition Site

Posted Nov 13, '12 at 1:57pm

SSTG

SSTG

10,761 posts

Knight

How about all those whining people move in the same state and then we replace them with people who have an above average IQ . This way, there will be more Blue states. Problem solved.

Posted Nov 13, '12 at 2:42pm

PanzerTank

PanzerTank

443 posts

How about all those whining people move in the same state and then we replace them with people who have an above average IQ . This way, there will be more Blue states. Problem solved.

This reminds me that there are actually two petitions with about 1500 signatures that are asking to deport everyone who signed the petitions and to remove their citizenship and exile the petitioners lol...

Reply to Louisiana Petitions To Secede

You must be logged in to post a reply!