Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Louisiana Petitions To Secede

Posted Nov 14, '12 at 5:24am

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

MGW has finally bothered to break the practical aspects of this scenario down. If people wish to ask for evidence of the demographic skew, I'd say finding the religious aspects of demographic slant will be difficult as the US Census isn't allowed to ask about religion, but the rest is probably obtainable. In fact I'd be interested to see it.

not as an anecdotal and untrue statement.

Perhaps you meant "unsubstantiated" or "exaggerated", because that's what my statement is. Not necessarily "untrue". I don't mean to labour a point or split hairs to the degree that you are doing, but I offer a clarification and an admission, and the way in which you address it makes me wonder whether you even know what "anecdotal" really means.

To get this back onto a more productive track, I'm still convinced that internationally speaking, those non-US citizens who were aware of the Romney/Obama relection as a whole tended to prefer Obama to Romney. I can't clearly conclude who you (PanzerTank), as an alleged non-American, would have voted for, but since you clearly have some form of bias affecting your commentary, now would be a good time to invite you to share your views and explore the issue further.

Posted Nov 14, '12 at 8:55am

partydevil

partydevil

5,090 posts

Doesn't quite make up the majority of the world.

it is a very good indicator non the less. a poll in the netherlands showed that 85% of the dutch would have voted for obama.

I took it to mean that you thought most of the world supported Obama

seeing that romneys statement was that he wanted more foreign controle and wanted to spend more money on their foreign military operations. (aka dominating the world)
i can safely say. most of the world is against romney and thus supporting obama.

now if you guys didn't had a 2 party system. then it would just be against romney. and not directly supporting obama.

Perhaps if all seceding states joined together

then they would never need to secede, right?

Posted Nov 14, '12 at 3:14pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,667 posts

Knight

then they would never need to secede, right?

It would still be seceding, they would just be forming their own union.

On another note I recently came across this petition.
Force all states to pay their portion of the national debt before they can secede from the union

I think this one does have a legitimate point. The debt owed is shared by all the states and their share would follow these states even in secession.

Posted Nov 14, '12 at 4:04pm

xoais

xoais

1 post

I highly doubt this petition (or any other pending petition like this for that matter) will receive any credibility in state courtrooms, where a majority of the participants are knowledgeable on the ramifications of secession. Speaking from a personal perspective, I live in a state with a petition calling for secession, and it is fairly obvious that a majority of people that are supporting said petitions have no idea what would occur in the case of the state leaving the union besides the fact that we leave the union. Obviously, we lose all federal programs/funding/protection. We will need a passport to leave. Any and all debts to the federal government will probably have to be paid, including the portion of the national debt owed by that state. The state will probably have high crime rates and low police forces. It would be chaos.

Posted Nov 14, '12 at 5:36pm

PanzerTank

PanzerTank

443 posts

Just as a small note, if my count is correct seven states have now passed the 25,000 threshold and Texas has passed the 100,000 signature mark.

Posted Nov 15, '12 at 1:21am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,667 posts

Knight

Some history on secession.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83856.html

One thing ht annoys me about this secession business is that it's likely in four years when we vote for the next president these same people will be pounding their chest talking about how they are true Americans and patriots.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/65386_293455284105628_1361473344_n.jpg

Posted Nov 15, '12 at 2:53am

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

these same people will be pounding their chest talking about how they are true Americans and patriots.

lol I didn't say it. I was thinking it but I didn't say it...

Or well, I kinda did say it except in a much more roundabout fashion.

Posted Nov 15, '12 at 5:35pm

xeano321

xeano321

2,546 posts

Knight

I'm not too sure why you would want to secede... Doesn't make any sense. People get out of control. They are only thinking about the fact that Obama wouldn't be president if they secede... I don't believe they are considering the fact that they lose the protection provided by the government in the form of the army, navy, ETC...

Also, Louisiana doesn't seem like they would be able to provide a economy large enough to provide the citizens with the same way of life that they are used to.

I don't blame them for wanting to secede, but it seems like a stupid idea.

Posted Nov 15, '12 at 6:24pm

VonHeisenbourg

VonHeisenbourg

215 posts

One thing ht annoys me about this secession business is that it's likely in four years when we vote for the next president these same people will be pounding their chest talking about how they are true Americans and patriots.

I find that to be improbable. If this whole secession business continues unanswered and unresolved, the growing feeling of discontent and resentment towards the Federal Government will only rise and reach a climax, at which point Civil War shall ensue.

Now on a slightly different note:
Ron Paul On How and If Secession is un-American

Posted Nov 16, '12 at 9:49am

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

I don't believe they are considering the fact that they lose the protection provided by the government in the form of the army, navy, ETC...

Maybe the extremist militant Islamist jihad against the whole of the Western world might shift focus.

I find that to be improbable.

I'm not sure we can properly discuss probability given how speculative we're being at the moment. But perhaps you could tell us if/why you find this to be unfeasible.

If this whole secession business continues unanswered and unresolved, the growing feeling of discontent and resentment towards the Federal Government will only rise and reach a climax, at which point Civil War shall ensue.

I once wrote a story based on the idea that the growing discontent against the Howard government might lead to civil unrest/conflict in Australia. Because after 12 years, the youth population was getting pretty angry.

But we just voted that government out the next election. What I'm saying is that you'd have to figure out what the critical mass for escalation into civil unrest might be, and I can't gauge that from here. But this movement has carried on sufficiently long enough and probably grown sufficiently large enough that people who are interested to see what the administration's reaction is have their eyes on the right place.

Reply to Louisiana Petitions To Secede

You must be logged in to post a reply!