Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Louisiana Petitions To Secede

Posted Nov 16, '12 at 2:26pm

VonHeisenbourg

VonHeisenbourg

215 posts

I'm not sure we can properly discuss probability given how speculative we're being at the moment. But perhaps you could tell us if/why you find this to be unfeasible.

I don't think unfeasible is the right word to use in this context, but ok...

I find it unfeasible for people to go pounding their chests and claiming how American they're because they don't even want to be American any more. Look at the Occupy Wall Street Movement, and these secession petitions. Do you really think that when it comes to be voting time people will be gloating about how American they wish to be after all these protests?

If one has strong views on something (anything really) they will not change because it's time to vote on it.

I once wrote a story based on the idea that the growing discontent against the Howard government might lead to civil unrest/conflict in Australia. Because after 12 years, the youth population was getting pretty angry.

But we just voted that government out the next election. What I'm saying is that you'd have to figure out what the critical mass for escalation into civil unrest might be, and I can't gauge that from here.

Critical mass for escalation into civil unrest?

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by this.

Posted Nov 16, '12 at 6:41pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,673 posts

Knight

I find that to be improbable. If this whole secession business continues unanswered and unresolved, the growing feeling of discontent and resentment towards the Federal Government will only rise and reach a climax, at which point Civil War shall ensue.

I don't find it all that improbable. We already have a pretty good track record of this sort of thing happening.

Do you really think that when it comes to be voting time people will be gloating about how American they wish to be after all these protests?

Yes because it's not the first time this has happened. In fact this was going on in Texas for the last election.

Posted Nov 16, '12 at 7:16pm

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

2,856 posts

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/65386_293455284105628_1361473344_n.jpg
They loved what America was supposed to be, what it used to be. Not what it has become and want no part of what it's becoming.

Posted Nov 16, '12 at 11:27pm

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

I don't think unfeasible is the right word to use in this context

After getting out of bed, I thought about this and couldn't figure out what I was thinking last night. You're right, let's stick to improbable. That'll teach me to post at 5am in the morning.

I won't offer any further feedback on the current developing discussion on national identity, it's going well enough as it is.

Critical mass for escalation into civil unrest?

Think of a nuclear bomb. You need a critical mass for the chain reaction to trigger, and you need a catalyst. I think that's a fairly good (if simple) analogy on how civil unrest turns into protest -> revolt. You simply need enough discontent that people can be galvanised into action given the right circumstances. And I don't know if the numbers cited by these petitions is anywhere near "enough" for that kind of thing.

Posted Nov 16, '12 at 11:37pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

They loved what America was supposed to be, what it used to be. Not what it has become and want no part of what it's becoming.

Conservative much? I'm about as conservative as it gets and even I think that's a bit much. Just because Obama was elected doesn't mean the country will sway into a pit.

While I'm fed with the ton of regulations that democrats have been putting upon our meant-to-be "Leave Alone" economy, some of them have been put to good use. For example, cutting taxes for small business is a fantastic idea, and you can't argue that without sounding like a moron. The idea is awesome, but the effect of the idea (increased national debt) may not be so amazing. If republicans and democrats would work together to fine-tune these ideas we would have a much better system going, but instead it's so partisan that we're at a horrible standstill, and overly-conservative people aren't going to help one bit. In reality, many of the foundations for the country were made up 200 years ago, and several of them need severe updating.

Posted Nov 17, '12 at 1:14am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,277 posts

On the plus side of things...there is a petition to deport all of the people that signed these secession petitions that is almost to the 25,000 mark (or has passed it..haven't checked on it today)

Only 3 or 4 of the state seceding petitions have more than it

Posted Nov 17, '12 at 9:37am

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,070 posts

Knight

Conservative much? I'm about as conservative as it gets and even I think that's a bit much. Just because Obama was elected doesn't mean the country will sway into a pit.

I feel some of the people have made light of everyone's reasons for signing the petition, that's all. I'm not saying secession will work, or that we should secede, just that we need to keep real.

Posted Nov 17, '12 at 5:09pm

SSTG

SSTG

10,885 posts

Knight

On the plus side of things...there is a petition to deport all of the people that signed these secession petitions that is almost to the 25,000 mark (or has passed it..haven't checked on it today)

Good idea, let's deport those traitors. True patriots stay no matter what and they try hard to change things they don't like, they just don't give up like losers or quitters.

Posted Nov 17, '12 at 5:35pm

ellock

ellock

277 posts

Ok, so I think this whole thing is symbolic to show Obama how upset people are. 20 states in total have signed similar petitions. I think Texas has around 80,000 signatures. The problem with this is that they do not really have enough people to do such a thing. Plus, the Obama administration is not going to address anything with under 25,000 clicks within the first 30 days of the post. Also, the states do not have the right to secede without permission from the president so it will be hard for them to pull that off.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._state#Secession
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/20 … ral-money/

Posted Nov 17, '12 at 10:18pm

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,070 posts

Knight

Good idea, let's deport those traitors. True patriots stay no matter what and they try hard to change things they don't like, they just don't give up like losers or quitters.

I hope that was sarcasm. If not, the following applies.

I suppose they wouldn't be patriots if they seceded, but you're really bashing them using semantics. When people from Texas act patriotic, it's because they believe in certain principles. To suggest they're being unpatriotic is to COMPLETELY miss the point, and to attack them on something that honestly doesn't matter.

"Oh, they called themselves patriots, then threaten to secede, therefore they're position is wrong," is fallacious in itself. Whether they consider themselves patriotic or not doesn't prove or disprove whether secession is proper or not.

You then explained that they should remain a part of America and try to change things from the inside rather than secede. Now, this may or may not be true, but you made this argument as if it's founded on ethics, which is something I strongly disagree with.

Reply to Louisiana Petitions To Secede

You must be logged in to post a reply!