Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Does age matter in relationships?

Posted Nov 11, '12 at 3:40am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,700 posts

16 year old is a senior in highschool (11th grade)

Actually...16 is Sophomore/Junior in highschool

Shakespeare married a woman some years his senior.

After they had a fling...and the two were very much looked down upon for the marriage

As for the OP...I agree with that it depends on situation.
A 35 year old man being with a 25 year old female is fine..but a 15 year old boy being with a 5 year old is not (get what I did there? Matched the age difference =p)

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 2:39pm

fireangle

fireangle

182 posts

A 13 year old and a 16 year old is a little inappropriate, 16 year old is a senior in highschool (11th grade) and a 13 year old is in 8th grade. That isn't really right I think.

A 13 year old can be a 7th grader too. Me and some of my friends are in 7th grade and we're 13... Otherwise I agree with you that isn't right.

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 3:55pm

Kyouzou

Kyouzou

5,231 posts

Age differences become less relevant as you grow older simply because the level of maturity evens out to a point. As a teenager I couldn't have dated someone three years younger, there are too many differences between someone who is 16 and someone who is 13 or 14. Admittedly it happens, but it's still a little strange. On the other hand, some one who is 26 isn't going to be all that different from someone who is 29 or even 30.

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 3:57pm

xXxDAPRO89xXx

xXxDAPRO89xXx

5,365 posts

Depends on the circumstances... If its a year or two no matter. But if it's over like 6-7 years we have a problem... ;P

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 5:16pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,259 posts

Knight

Age differences become less relevant as you grow older simply because the level of maturity evens out to a point. As a teenager I couldn't have dated someone three years younger, there are too many differences between someone who is 16 and someone who is 13 or 14. Admittedly it happens, but it's still a little strange. On the other hand, some one who is 26 isn't going to be all that different from someone who is 29 or even 30.

^this. In young ages, like pre-teens and teens, the expectations and wants are just too different / change too fast for a stable relationship. With age this gets less of a problem, and I think past 20 or something the actual difference doens't play such a huge role anymore. Let's not forget that even until one or two generations ago it was, and still is, quite normal for the husband to be 10-20 years older than his wife. It also really depends on the maturity, which is not directly dependent of the age; some people are generally just more mature than others.

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 5:23pm

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,315 posts

Knight

We've all heard this story about the 72 year old who married an 18 year old girl

Say what?! Who the heck is this?! O.O That is kinda creepy....

It actually depends on the type of relationship you have. Lets say there is a 14 year old dating a 25 year old, if it is a Physical relationship yea you have a issue, if it is just a relationship of interest then I guess it could be ok.... in a way. I personally would find it awkward cause dating someone with a huge age difference can be a bit odd, but if someone loves another then everything else might not matter, including age.

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 7:05pm

Gamer_Cale

Gamer_Cale

1,418 posts

I think that from when your say 0-18 you shouldn't really go out with anyone anymore then 2-3 years older after that up to 10 years different is the most I would say is ok after I think its kind of wrong.

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 1:19am

ironblade41

ironblade41

530 posts

13-16 is weird because of maturity differences and also I think you might be made fun of for going out with a thirteen-year-old. But you be the judge.

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 7:34am

JoshTheBoss

JoshTheBoss

420 posts

intelligence matters, and intelligence comes partly with age. If two people truly are compatible with each other, age shouldn't matter. this rule only applies when both parties are over 18 though. I do not condone statutory ****, even with the smartest of t(w)eens.

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 7:48am

Kasic

Kasic

5,734 posts

intelligence comes partly with age.

Not really. Most of what comes from age is experience and knowledge.

I don't think age matters too much in relationships (except in obviously non-applicable age ranges...). Also, in case you all forgot, there's more to a relationship than sexual things.

The biggest thing with an age gap is likely going to be differences in interests. Each generation kind of has their own thing and while it's not impossible for those far apart in age to be compatible, people who are closer in age are more likely to have more in common (which is one of the most important factors for a relationship).

You have to consider this too, as one gets older, each year holds less importance as it's backed by more. Really though, this topic always comes down to one thing: underage/teen relationships consisting of a substantially older partner on one end.

Reply to Does age matter in relationships?

You must be logged in to post a reply!