Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Black Belts (or other martial artists)

Posted Nov 11, '12 at 2:33pm

Blackbeltr0

Blackbeltr0

802 posts

I have just received my 2nd degree black belt I teach classes and do weapons

Please tell me what Belt (rank), and Martial art you train in.

Black belts (do you teach classes?)

Posted Nov 11, '12 at 5:03pm

GhostOfHorror

GhostOfHorror

900 posts

I used to do Judo when I was younger.
I got to orange or green, I'm not too sure.

Posted Nov 11, '12 at 6:51pm

thepunisher93

thepunisher93

1,863 posts

I am mastered in the ancient art of Origami.

Posted Nov 11, '12 at 7:01pm

idigit

idigit

261 posts

Taekwon-do

black belt

stopped after 6 years because of too much school work

taught a little bit

some weapons

Posted Nov 11, '12 at 7:30pm

Blackbeltr0

Blackbeltr0

802 posts

I am mastered in the ancient art of Origami

ahh... lol wow that was ...cool ok

idigit
WOW Great job my fellow Tae Kwon Do Black Belt

GhostOfHorror
Great job i like judo too

Posted Nov 12, '12 at 5:32pm

Blackbeltr0

Blackbeltr0

802 posts

Anyone else :) i know there has to be lots!!

Posted Nov 12, '12 at 10:02pm

Sengokura

Sengokura

505 posts

I almost became a black belt but i had to stop cause of another sport and school work. I did teach classes to younger kids. Generally I usually helped in classes and rarely taught them

Posted Nov 12, '12 at 11:15pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,436 posts

I got to either green or blue in taekwondo over a summer, but then school started so...

Posted Nov 13, '12 at 7:55am

Strop

Strop

11,085 posts

OP (original poster): what style TKD are you, WTF, ITF or something else? Do you compete in Poomsae or sparring?

After a dozen years of farting around and doing various martial arts but never grading in any of them, I decided I should commit to learning one (or many) of them, so I picked up WTF TKD. Work is slowing my progress down considerably so I don't intend on grading for 1-dan until at least 2015. Also I started competing in sparring tournaments but again work gets in the way, so I'll come back to it later, but I feel that as far as tkd is concerned sparring is important to sharpen one's technique. One can really tell the difference between the black belts who do spar competitively, and those who don't, by the sharpness of their technique, and their sense of space.

Funnily enough I kept getting busted for using karate stance (because of my prior karate experience), and my opponents get dreadfully confused by my habit of parrying every strike instead of dodging (because of my prior kung fu experience). Which makes me think, a long long time down the track, once I feel I have attained a basic level of competency in TKD, I should probably do the same for karate and kung fu, though I feel those will be much harder than for TKD.

Posted Nov 13, '12 at 9:04am

fantasy4life

fantasy4life

1,937 posts

I was a blue belt in Tae kwon do. I remember having to memorize each individual form, I actually have a pretty good recollection of how to do them still. But I never escalated above the blue belt, just wasn't for me.

Reply to Black Belts (or other martial artists)

You must be logged in to post a reply!