ForumsProgramming ForumNeed help with Language selection

7 5495
onark
onark
7 posts
Nomad

I've been using python for 2d games for 2 years and I've heard of flash develop
Here's my Question:
Whats the difference between flash develop and python, which language should I use for action scripting, and why?
Thanks .

• 7 Replies
onark
onark
7 posts
Nomad

Oh yeah, and what is the best action script language for creating games?
and why?

pirateplatypusgames
pirateplatypusgames
37 posts
Nomad

I think you mean ActionScript, not "action scripting". I'd recommend ActionScript 3 as AS2 is rather quite old. I assume you're fairly comfortable writing code since you've been using Python for two years. I'd recommend looking at the AS3 Livedocs. You can use Adobe Flash (IDE), Flash Develop, or the Flex SDK to compile your code. My personal preference is to code in a text editor and compile with the Flex SDK.

onark
onark
7 posts
Nomad

^^thanks for the help.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Flash develop is like Adobe Flash Professional light edition. It's a free of Flash alternative without all the bells and whistles but you can publish swf files and use action script 3.

Flash develop is not a language thus the language choice would be here python vs actionscript 3. Personally I would go with flash develop but neither of these options is good for making games if you want anything beyond experience. But I assume you want to make something for the web so I would go with Flash develop here especially if you don't want to pay for the full version of Flash. But then again Flash slowly being replaced by HTML 5 a much faster and open way to make online content now. You could either learn something that might not be here long or start something new that hasn't been develop far enough to be as good at making games yet.

Oh yeah, and what is the best action script language for creating games? and why?

There is only one actionscript (ignoring updates) and obviously here the newest one has the most features and fixes, so is the best. But you could get away with actionscript 2 without much of a problem.

My personal preference is to code in a text editor and compile with the Flex SDK.

Sublime is the best in my honest opinion. Notepad++ is chunky.
WhiskeyedJack
WhiskeyedJack
80 posts
Shepherd

I would highly recommend FlashDevelop to code in. I set up my FLAs in flash and then do all the scripting in FlashDevelop, the code completion features alone have saved me vast swaths of time. (Especially being able to avoid calling a variable you defined but accidentally misspelled somewhere)

WhiskeyedJack
WhiskeyedJack
80 posts
Shepherd

There are also pretty huge differences from AS2 to AS3 (take it from someone who learned AS2 and is now figuring out how to do the same things in AS3). while AS2 is a straight-up scripting language (quite similar to the stuff I've seen in the Elders Scrolls modding tools) AS3 makes the push towards Object Oriented design, and is therefore a little closer to the mainstream programming languages.

pirateplatypusgames
pirateplatypusgames
37 posts
Nomad

Sublime is the best in my honest opinion. Notepad++ is chunky.

I've heard good things about Sublime. My editor of choice is Kate (I don't even know if Sublime has a Linux version).
Showing 1-7 of 7