ForumsArt, Music, and WritingWorking Title - It's a Salvidious Game

202 69705
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Welcome folks.

This weekend I was fortunate enough to meet up with a couple long-time friends. For months I've been trying to get a hold of them, and now that I have we'll start on our first flash game for AG. Before we actually start making the game, we'll need to learn some fancy flash code stuff so we know what we're doing. I know bits and pieces, but not enough to make a half-decent game. We have 9 months to get the game's blueprints done, but we'll have to balance school as well. Production will take a month, or maybe two.

Anyway, I'll be doing general bug testing and graphic work, while the other guys will be doing the other stuff. Sounds like we have everything covered, right? No. We need a story. I want to include some interesting characters from the site, but we need help. I'll be popping in every once in a while to write bits and pieces because the main story will most likely fall into my lap.

The guys liked my username so much we're naming our baby production Salvidious Games. Do me proud, and be in a game.

So, to start things off, I'll need a setting. Throw your ideas out there; I need places, times, the whole shabang. I also need an exciting plot. In the plot, we need characters. Nominate yourself as a character, give some traits. Write a book.

Get going folks!

• 202 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Triple 70, I just got word that we can put you in somewhere. So, would you like to be a character, or what?

I was going to post the teaser and story, but I was advised not to by my boss. :P
Apparently he doesn't think it's good enough. He wants to something like a stop-action movie, much like a Tim Burton movie, or one of Nick Park's claymation films.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Here's a major update for pickpocket.

pickpocket will be one of the major characters throughout the game. He will have the most variety of skills, with the exception being The Gentleman (I have something special planned for him). pick will be featured in levels alongside teammates, and levels where he is by himself. The levels in which is he is by himself will be played almost identically like that of Exit Path - go through the obstacle course and escape. The exception being that pickpocket will often have to hack into a computer somewhere.

Here's an example:
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg606/Salvidian/leveldesign_zps3e098eb2.png
Link (This is the tutorial's actual level design)

pickpocket will spawn near the wall opening on the left side of the screen and will have to travel to the box with the white border and red center while avoiding the red lasers traveling from the turret. He can then choose to go up through the upper exit or through the exit on the right side of the screen.

While traveling with his teammates, pickpocket will be able to heal teammates slightly, use karate-like skills to kill, and even have the option to hack robots. When hacking robots, a sequential button pattern will appear. The player will have to press the buttons shown in a specific order before time runs out or pickpocket will receive major damage. When the robot is hacked, the robot will either break down or shoot lasers in random directions, thus harming both the team and the robots. We considered giving pickpocket the power to literally control the robots, but that's a whole other thing itself.

I know, I left that a little vague, so feel free to ask any questions you might have. I'm not going to reveal any story yet. :P

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Coolness! Good ideas! If I may add a suggestion for pickpocket, do you think it would be good if he could turn invisible? It would be the same sort of concept as zero from borderlands 2, except having no decoy. This could make for some interesting obstacle levels. It could make the game more interesting... But I'm not sure if that would fit well in the game. I think I mentioned this, but if there is a money system, pickpocket could gain maybe 5% more money. Just to add to the character some, what you have so far seems great though. The things I thought of just help re-enforce the entire thief thing.
I hope I'm not being rude, if I am that wasn't my intention.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Oh jeez, I completely forgot to paste an entire paragraph from MS Word.

pickpocket will also have the feature to turn completely incognito, either by standing still for lengthy periods of time, or by hiding inside of platforms. Doing so will shield pickpocket completely from enemy eyes. If the player chooses to stand still, moving will cause pickpocket to be visible again. If the player hides in a platform, the player can move pickpocket through platforms. Hiding inside of platforms will be limited though, and we're thinking of giving damage to pickpocket if he travels too far while hidden in platforms.

Hope that answers the invisibility question. As for in-game currency, I wouldn't count on it. At all. We'll have an upgrade system that relies on spending experience points (like Sonny), but we won't have anything with currency. pickpocket will have the power to hack into "bonus" computers to gain extra experience points, so I guess that's sort of close.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Pickpocket, you sound like a total ****** in this game.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Here's a major update for killersup.

Killersup will be one of the most interesting characters to play. He offers the player the opportunity to use him as a tank, a helicopter, a turret, a boat - the ultimate vehicle. Not only that, but killersup will also have the power to revive fallen enemies in battle with completely restored health. Killersup is essentially a transformer. However, killersup will also be able to be controlled by the robots. At some points in the game, he will be up for grabs - if a robot reaches him first, he's theirs. At others, he will only be controlled by one team or the other. Skele will be operating him when he is on the rebels' side.

Killersup won't have any missions by himself - he will always be in team missions. Otherwise, separate members of the team may get him (Or... steal him from the robot base *wink*), creating a mission by themselves.

Killersup will be voice acted by one of my friends and will have very little dialogue. Merely recording some robotic speak should suffice.

I don't have a level design for killersup, and might not ever because he might have to be constrained to story cut scenes. However, I do have a basic storyboard fro him while he's transformed into a robot:
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg606/Salvidian/killersup_zpsae85aae7.png

Killersup is a character still under heavy development. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Here's a major update for daleks.

daleks' levels will primarily be played like a "get as far as you can without running out fuel" type game, much like Earn to Die. daleks will be forced to run as far as he can, smashing through robots, buildings, and whatever else is in his way to get passed. daleks' levels will be played as a novelty - almost like a minigame - completely separate from the main story. However, daleks will encounter the main characters throughout the main story, and, while the player will never play as daleks with the team, daleks will be seen in cameos.

daleks will continuously travel throughout the world and will see cameos of main events in the background. He'll start at the robots' lab and will escape after being created by the robots' experiments, with the first level being, obviously, breaking out of the robots' lab. Like games like Earn to Die, daleks will gain experience points for knocking down enemies and getting farther and farther, so he will be able to get faster and faster.

Here is an extremely basic level design:
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg606/Salvidian/daleksleveldesign_zpsddaba206.png
The black boxes represent enemies.

daleks will be voiced by me, but probably won't sound anything like me after I finish editing the sounds.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

pickpocket will also have the feature to turn completely incognito, either by standing still for lengthy periods of time, or by hiding inside of platforms. Doing so will shield pickpocket completely from enemy eyes. If the player chooses to stand still, moving will cause pickpocket to be visible again. If the player hides in a platform, the player can move pickpocket through platforms. Hiding inside of platforms will be limited though, and we're thinking of giving damage to pickpocket if he travels too far while hidden in platforms.

Lul

steal him from the robot base

Question- do you have a character? And who is playing me? I must ensure that he captures me to perfection.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

My boss/foreman is doing Ernie (ironically).
Our main coder is doing Skele.
Our main beta tester is doing The Gentleman.
Our server guy is probably doing killersup.
I'm doing daleks and probably pang.

I think we're going to have our main coder do your voice. He has a shrill voice, but it isn't so shrill that it's annoying.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Our server guy is probably doing killersup.

Nothing against homosexuals, but does it have to be a guy?

he might have to be constrained to story cut scenes.

How about the player takes control of Killersup. They need to get from one side of the stage to the other. They will have to transform into a helicopter to get over mountains, and tanks to destroy barricades, ect.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Nothing against homosexuals, but does it have to be a guy?

Haha, I see what you did there. You know what I mean, or at least I hope you do.

How about the player takes control of Killersup. They need to get from one side of the stage to the other. They will have to transform into a helicopter to get over mountains, and tanks to destroy barricades, ect.

Things regarding your character are up in the air right now. I know I said you'd be able to do all that whimsical stuff, but the extend of your abilities goes as far as the coder's programming ability. I don't know if he'll be able to devote all of this time to one character. The time it would take to make you be able to do all of this stuff is equivalent to creating the code to make 5 new people playable.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

I know I said you'd be able to do all that whimsical stuff, but the extend of your abilities goes as far as the coder's programming ability. I don't know if he'll be able to devote all of this time to one character. The time it would take to make you be able to do all of this stuff is equivalent to creating the code to make 5 new people playable.

That is understandable. No problem.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Question...how will this be played as an MMO like you said you all were going for? As you are telling us about the characters and all..it seems like it'd be hard to make it so

Also...gotta be a lil selfish here =p any updates on pang?

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Question...how will this be played as an MMO like you said you all were going for? As you are telling us about the characters and all..it seems like it'd be hard to make it so

The MMO game will be played in a few different ways. We're planning on having the game be played like a lot of popular games on here.
-Control customizable pickpockets in a game similar to Exit Path.
-Battle customizable killersups in a game similar to SSL.

The rest of the characters will probably have their own unique game, but we haven't gotten that far yet. We still need to decided what to do with the rest. We're also planning on having either team-based games so that you can play through the entire storyline with friends controlling certain characters, or we're planning on doing a team vs. team type of ordeal similar to The Last Stand: Dead Zone.

Also...gotta be a lil selfish here =p any updates on pang?

I'm going to be a little busy today, so the rest of the characters will probably be done tomorrow.
70_70_70
70_70_70
393 posts
Peasant

@Sal: tks for letting me into ur nice game, and sr for the late respond but I have been quite busy those day,
but anw, here is the sample pic I drew for my character

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u558/70_70_70/TRIPLE7THESLOPMACHINEXD_zpsc5579f7c.png

Showing 91-105 of 202