ForumsArt, Music, and WritingWorking Title - It's a Salvidious Game

202 69721
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Welcome folks.

This weekend I was fortunate enough to meet up with a couple long-time friends. For months I've been trying to get a hold of them, and now that I have we'll start on our first flash game for AG. Before we actually start making the game, we'll need to learn some fancy flash code stuff so we know what we're doing. I know bits and pieces, but not enough to make a half-decent game. We have 9 months to get the game's blueprints done, but we'll have to balance school as well. Production will take a month, or maybe two.

Anyway, I'll be doing general bug testing and graphic work, while the other guys will be doing the other stuff. Sounds like we have everything covered, right? No. We need a story. I want to include some interesting characters from the site, but we need help. I'll be popping in every once in a while to write bits and pieces because the main story will most likely fall into my lap.

The guys liked my username so much we're naming our baby production Salvidious Games. Do me proud, and be in a game.

So, to start things off, I'll need a setting. Throw your ideas out there; I need places, times, the whole shabang. I also need an exciting plot. In the plot, we need characters. Nominate yourself as a character, give some traits. Write a book.

Get going folks!

• 202 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I won't be able to do the major update until Thursday. The boss Ok'd an update last night, but while I was typing it up the Internet was shut off as a precaution for the coming 50 below 0 temps. Till Thursday!

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Also, I've set everything aside Thursday and the whole team will answer any and all questions right here. Feel free to ask any questions from now until then. We need to get the updates caught up and want to clear up the confusion on anything.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Where do you guys live? What are your social security numbers?

But seriously. What made you guys think of this? Why do you trust Sal to give us info? Have you ever wanted to kill us for horrible ideas? When do you think the game will be out? Will there be a beta? Will you put it on AG or at least try? Can I see my character art? What program are you programming with? How will the art be, cartoony, realistic, etc? Can you give me a game that the art is like? How did you guys meet? Can we know your names? Who is doing what so I can yell at the proper person?

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

You've seen The Dark Knight Rises...correct?

Pfft, im talking about the old comics. Yes, I saw it.
----
When is the game coming out?
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

Think this might be the first time I've posted on here. Huh.

Anyways, here goes:

- Have you guys finished the Game Design yet?
- Do you have everything written down in a Game Design Document? Any thoughts on sharing it (with proper spoiler warnings for people that care about such a thing)?
- What about a document for the Software Architecture?
- Is there a prototype yet? How far are you in terms of overall progress on everything?
- Have you considered if and how you'll playtest the game other than a beta test? If so, what kind of people are testing the game?

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

From the boss himself:

Hi guys, I'm Paul, the boss, and I've asked Ron (Or Sal as you know him) to post this for me.

- Have you guys finished the Game Design yet?

You bet!

- Do you have everything written down in a Game Design Document? Any thoughts on sharing it (with proper spoiler warnings for people that care about such a thing)?

Most, but we won't be sharing it quite yet. You said it yourself KentyBK, spoilers.

- What about a document for the Software Architecture?

Cody will be getting to that soon. He's been doing most of the actual work while we've been doing conceptual stuff.

- Is there a prototype yet? How far are you in terms of overall progress on everything?

Yes, there is a prototype for most characters' levels. I'll get to you in overall progress later.

- Have you considered if and how you'll playtest the game other than a beta test? If so, what kind of people are testing the game?

We'll be doing a beta test, and then we'll (probably) have a playtest where people will try out the entire game, start to finish. The people that will be testing it will be some guys I know from Kong and some people I've worked with on previous projects. We *might* allow *some* people from AG to try it out too, but that's Ron's decision. Ask him.

Is this your first game you've made Sal?

This is Ron's first game with me, but Cody and Alex have done stuff with him before. Cody used to work with Blizzard, and I think Ron did some stuff with Blizzard alongside Cody a year ago. Alex has made a game with Ron before, but it isn't live anywhere. They never published it.

So any guess to your overall progress on the game, like 30 percent done or how long until it's finished?

In brief:
We have character development finished.
We have the level designs completed.
We have the story done.
We have nearly every sprite done (Ron has been working overtime this week. In fact, he was complaining because he missed you guys haha).
We have a lot of the beta/prototype finished (I will be overseeing the rest of it. Expect the beta to be done as early as NEXT WEEK).
Ron is working on bug fixes and corrections to Alex's AS3.
Cody is currently designing the system for the MMO version.
I'm hiring a sound guy in 2 weeks that will help with voice acting and other stuff related to sound. We're already in touch with him and he's bringing along a buddy that will write the soundtrack. They weren't cheap.
Alex is building the attack system for pickpocket, pangtongshu, Skeleton Pilot, and Daleks.

If I had to give you a percentage, I'd say 37%. We don't want to give much away and Ron hates me for that because he hasn't been able to update the thread with much information. But he's sitting next to me right now bothering me so I will update haha.

-----

So, that was our boss, Paul.

Because our Internet provider didn't turn on our Internet until today, I still don't have most the update. The team will be in the office again tomorrow, and we'll have to postpone the rest of the update until then. Sorry.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Paul came back with more replies:

What made you guys think of this?

Making a game, or the idea for the story?

Why do you trust Sal to give us info?

Ron is a reliable guy. We're also showing this stuff around to other people - not just you folks!

Where do you guys live?

Iowa, my good friend. We have an office in the back of a building in one of the major cities.

Have you ever wanted to kill us for horrible ideas?

Actually, some of the ideas were scrapped, but not out of anger. All of the ideas were tested out in the story, but some of them didn't fly.

When do you think the game will be out?

This summer. July, most likely.

Will there be a beta?

Yes.

Will you put it on AG or at least try?

It will be on Kong and AG, exclusively. We might create an app if it gets popular.

Can I see my character art?

Ron hasn't perfected it. I mean, he thinks he has, but I have to be the bearer of bad news and tell him he sucks at art, Lol.

Kidding, he'll get it up tomorrow or I'll fire him.

What program are you programming with?

FlashDevelop and AFPCS5, with a healthy mixture of some other stuff.

How will the art be, cartoony, realistic, etc? Can you give me a game that the art is like?

The art will be what you saw earlier in the level designs, except for the characters. They will look a lot like John's games.

How did you guys meet?

I was a Junior in high school. The other guys were Juniors in high school. Ron was a freshman. We met at a gaming convention. Other than that, we have been in contact with each other in case we ever need help with stuff while we're working on separate projects.

Can we know your names?

The entire cast:
Paul
Ron
Cody
Alex
Michael
Rachael
John

Who is doing what so I can yell at the proper person?

I am the boss (ME, NOT SAL) so I tell people what to do. I hire people and have highest authority when we decide stuff. I also decide what pizza we order and when our meetings are. I also like cats.

Ron is doing graphics, story, characters, other conceptual stuff, and coding repair.

Cody is doing beta stuff and will create the foundation for the MMO game.

Alex is doing combat and a lot of the coding.

Michael is doing male voice acting and music.

Rachael is doing female voice acting and music.

John is picking the pizza up. We also make him sweep the floor. Actually, John does what's left over.

We work together on everything, so not one person is isolated.

When is the game coming out?

Mid-July. Probably.

And pick and pang are the dynamic duo.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Can we know your names?

The entire cast:
Paul
Ron
Cody
Alex
Michael
Rachael
John

...pics? =3

And pick and pang are the dynamic duo.

Awh yeah >=D *super hi-five with pick*
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

...pics? =3

Creeper.
Making a game, or the idea for the story?

The idea for the story. I assume that the making a game part went with you (Paul) going, "Let's make a game!"
Ron is a reliable guy. We're also showing this stuff around to other people - not just you folks!

I guess Ron is probably semi-reliable. What other people? Like who?
Iowa, my good friend.

Now we are friends! Heck ya. But congrats on the Hawkeyes beating Wisconsin, even though that was a few days ago.
This summer. July, most likely.

So obviously it will come out on the most important members B-day. That member is me!
Kidding, he'll get it up tomorrow or I'll fire him.

See, not reliable. Obviously I would have been a much better choice.*

*If you had picked me you would have fired me in 10 seconds. Actually I probably would have cared and tried really hard.
FlashDevelop and AFPCS5

Uhhh, sure. I know what those are.
They will look a lot like John's games.

Hopefully I don't want to break the computer like when I play John's games. Actually that would be good.
I also decide what pizza we order and when our meetings are. I also like cats.

You lost some respect with the liking cats statement but can gain it back depending on what pizza and where you get it from.
GandalftheGrey666
GandalftheGrey666
1,859 posts
Peasant

Can I be in the game?

No,Gandalf.

That probably be the answer,but really,can I be in the game?I could be a miner coinbox guy(an enemy,of course).With a drill,of course.I'll do my best with this image.Here we go!
http://http://www.retrogamingtimes.com/icons2/21stcentury.jpg
Just put blue stripes and instead of the helmet put the Coinbox from Coinbox Hero and oh yeah,do it more worse.OMG,what just happenned to my grammar?
No Gandalf,I will not put you in my game,you're not cool as others.

But,how can I match with Newyorker pick?I mean,he live NYC!NY is cool.Wait a minute,aristocrathy rules NY,I support democrates.I have feelings too.*sniff* *sniff*
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Creeper.

Just want to make sure it is all legit =p

Can I be in the game?

They are in the middle of making it..it is a bit late now
GandalftheGrey666
GandalftheGrey666
1,859 posts
Peasant

They are in the middle of making it..it is a bit late now

OK,no problem.They were in the middle of making it?I didn't know that,sorry.So pang,you're a samurai?It's NOT pretty cool,I guess.Haha,kiding.That wasn't funny,I know.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Paul:

Stuck at the office for a while. Hit me up with questions!

The idea for the story. I assume that the making a game part went with you (Paul) going, "Let's make a game!"

Pizza discussion over random brainstorms.

What other people? Like who?

Magically invisible people.

...pics? =3

Nein!

---

Sal:

Here's a little sumthin' sumthin' for Daleks.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg606/Salvidian/saleksthedino_zps4b553ec0.png

I'll be getting pictures up throughout the day, and Paul will be around to answer questions.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I got this...

Paul..how are you?

Also..what got you all interested in Sal's game? Did he reach out to you guys himself? Or was most of it just word of mouth?

What gains are expected out of this game? Reputation? Money? Funsies?

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Paul:

Paul..how are you?

Bueno. ¿Y tú?

Also..what got you all interested in Sal's game? Did he reach out to you guys himself? Or was most of it just word of mouth?

Ron and I had been thinking about doing a team-project for months, but we were always busy with other stuff. I finished a little thing I was working on, and Ron was free at the time, so we got together and talked it over. I invited Cody and Ron invited Alex, and we just sat at my place talking about different stuff we could do. Here we are a few months later.

What gains are expected out of this game? Reputation? Money? Funsies?

Rep, hopefully. We're also looking to have features in the game accessible via cash donations, but because Ron is so against that we'll probably just accept said donations in exchange for giving you easy XP.

But, yeah, Funsies are legit too.
Showing 121-135 of 202