ForumsThe TavernWhat language is best to learn in Highschool?

56 8516
tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

This was a really big concern to me when I started high school. What language is the best to take, and will be the most useful in my daily life and also a job or getting into a good college. I eventually decided to take Spanish out of the choices of french, German, Chinese and Spanish of course. Living in California, and a part of California that is mainly Hispanic I thought that Spanish would be the best choice because I could communicate with the majority of people who spoke another language besides English. I was also concerned if colleges preferred one language over each other, and if my dream job in the future required a different language than Spanish. So far, the extent of my newly learned language was when I ordered a taco in Spanish at my local Taqueria. What language did you guys choose in highschool, or are thinking you're going to take?

• 56 Replies
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I took Spanish because I live in California in an area with a lot of Spanish-speakers, and it's a very easy language to learn... I was so good at it that I decided to continue through college and now I'm a pretty good speaker myself! =)

tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

I took Spanish because I live in California in an area with a lot of Spanish-speakers, and it's a very easy language to learn... I was so good at it that I decided to continue through college and now I'm a pretty good speaker myself! =)

How many years did it take you to become fluent?
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

it's a very easy language to learn

Says you. I sucked at it.

Spanish is a pretty big one to learn. Probably the most useful. I would put Chinese next, but that is pretty much if you want to go into bushiness. Same with Japanese. The only other one I would consider would be French. I would go with Spanish if I were you.
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

How many years did it take you to become fluent?

I took Spanish III senior year in high school and I did amazingly in that class, which focused mostly on speaking, and then I went on to take it for two more years in college. I couldn't speak fluently outside of class until that final year.
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

Well I already know Spanish and English, but I would still say after English, Spanish would be the best choice.. Then maybe some European languages such as French, Italian, German, etc. But yeah English and Spanish are probably some of the most important languages in the world especially when it comes to business and stuff.

You could also learn Mandarin... If you dare.

idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

Japanese. it is what i take. or Mandarin. Or German. Those three ill be the major economic powerhouses in the coming years.

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

Yeah Japanese too.. that's a big one. So Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin, French and German. Yup those are the top ones I think.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

What language did you guys choose in highschool, or are thinking you're going to take?

I didn't take any languages in HS, but I took 2 years of Spanish in MS and remember most of it (and a few words of German over the years). For international auxiliary languages, I think Arabic would be neat, but Spanish and Mandarin will likely be the most useful in the future. Go for (at least) one of those.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I took Latin my Freshman and Sophomore years (would have continued...but there was only 2 years of the class).
An incentive..apparently people that take Latin class on average do better on their ACT's (or so my counselor told me >_&gt

In my opinion...I would take German. But that is just my preference

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

depends what you want to do. as said, chinese would be best if you want to do business. if you want to do something with europe id say german.

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

My school offers three languages: German, Italian and Japanese. I chose to take Italian and I currently only know bits and pieces. Currently in my position it would be best if I learned either Japanese or chinese however because I didn't think it through I decided to just go with the language that I knew the most of (Which was italian) because my parents were born in Italy and they switch from english to italian sometimes.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

Our school only does two foreign languages, French and German.
Even though most people by the end of school are better at whichever they keep on then Irish, Irish is a compulsory subject.

I kept on French and German, which I'm regretting, not because either subject is hard but because I'm unable to learn since my French teacher is thicker than a ditch.

landmaster2000
landmaster2000
135 posts
Shepherd

Besides English, I know French pretty well and Spanish alright. Learning Japanese. I'd say those 3 languages are pretty sweet.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

i wish our schools would offer more languages. except for english and hebrew we HAVE to study arabic. in some schools (not mine :/) you could choose between french and arabic.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

What country do you live in, rabbit?

Showing 1-15 of 56