ForumsThe TavernWhat language is best to learn in Highschool?

56 8534
tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

This was a really big concern to me when I started high school. What language is the best to take, and will be the most useful in my daily life and also a job or getting into a good college. I eventually decided to take Spanish out of the choices of french, German, Chinese and Spanish of course. Living in California, and a part of California that is mainly Hispanic I thought that Spanish would be the best choice because I could communicate with the majority of people who spoke another language besides English. I was also concerned if colleges preferred one language over each other, and if my dream job in the future required a different language than Spanish. So far, the extent of my newly learned language was when I ordered a taco in Spanish at my local Taqueria. What language did you guys choose in highschool, or are thinking you're going to take?

• 56 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Chinese. Get onto the bandwagon.

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

Yeah. allot of the words are really similar to English. Conjugating verbs is really hard for me though =P

The Spanish language has a lot of different verb tenses and that can be a bit complicated if your first language is English because... well, conjugating verbs in English is extremely easy, at least from my point of view :P
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

As far as easy goes then latin (if available) or spanish (very similar languages I've been told), I took two years of latin and it wasn't too terribly hard. As kegaumongo said with Spanish the verb conjugation was hard and so was word order.

MagicTree
MagicTree
749 posts
Nomad

Ima do Spanish. I already know some Japanese but in my secondary school there is only French & Spanish.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

I would take either German or Latin. Latin really helps with understanding words, SATs, and all that fun stuff.

German seems like a pretty easy language to me, and Germany is basically the powerhouse of Europe right now.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

You even get little red books to write your notes in!

I have one Latin credit, and two Spanish credits. Next year I will take two credits worth of Mandarin, and I plan on majoring in Mandarin during college.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I'm planning on doing german. My dad speaks german fluently so he could help me out...

Chinese... I dunno if i'm gonna do that again. I did it in what second grade? (so long ago xD) But it was so freaking hard i just quit. And it sucked cuz all the people in my class were fluent in chinese >.>
AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Why is there so little to no Italian takers?
I took Italian, because I figured it out this way, if I was to go to either Italy or Spain, I would choose Italy.
I can understand Spanish here and there since they are quite similar.
My parents thought it was idiotic considering Spanish is used more. .-.

I understand Latin too. Like the roots and what-not.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Why is there so little to no Italian takers?
I took Italian, because I figured it out this way, if I was to go to either Italy or Spain, I would choose Italy.

Because outside of Italy, it is of little use. Anyway, the economy in SE is in shambles, making it even less of a priority to learn.

Chinese... I dunno if i'm gonna do that again. I did it in what second grade? (so long ago xD) But it was so freaking hard i just quit. And it sucked cuz all the people in my class were fluent in chinese >.>

Oh yeah, I forgot people need to learn the writing system too...
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Oh yeah, I forgot people need to learn the writing system too...

... They were good at writing too :P I just sucked at all of them except speaking a bit... lol.
tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

I couldn't imagine learning the Chinese or Japanese writing as my second language. That would be just too hard.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

As far as easy goes then latin (if available) or spanish (very similar languages I've been told), I took two years of latin and it wasn't too terribly hard.

Diod you just learn words and root-words...or how to write out sentences and paragraphs with 'em? (like using Direct Object, prepositional phrases, nominative usage, etc)

German seems like a pretty easy language to me, and Germany is basically the powerhouse of Europe right now.

When reading German...I can figure it out fairly well...when listening to it being spoken (German Grandma) I just go "aduuuhhh O.o"
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

@pang: air was awhile ago, but I think that we did do direct objects etc. But with Latin there are no paragraphs, or even sentances, it's an old dead language with no sort of punctuation.

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

At highschool i learnt arabic. Its a most in Israel. A group of peoples tried to open french class, but there were not enough peoples for it.

Choosing is mostly depend and wher you live. For teh averge USAian spanish is a good choise. learning the major ones will help you anywher - spanish, russian, french and english.

BurnKush420
BurnKush420
100 posts
Nomad

im taking spanish right now just because i live where there is a lot of mexicans and most colleges require/prefer at least 2 years of language class

Showing 31-45 of 56