ForumsThe TavernHomework (Not Complaining)

12 2116
ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

I have ADD and want to know how you guys get/got your homework done. When I sit down to start my mind instantly goes blank. This especially happens with my algebra homework.

• 12 Replies
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I could not have gotten through school without lots of Ritalin... I have some pretty wild ADHD myself and I've always had a hard time focusing on anything! I wouldn't be sitting here right now without Ritalin... I'd probably be running up stairs somewhere or throwing something at the wall. =P

ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

Haha! I take Concerta... and a lot of it. Sometimes it just won't do the job. Concerta seems to work fine for me, except for with homework. I guess sometimes I'm just in the zone, and sometimes I just can't even wrap my mind around the idea of getting something done.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

I usually procrastinate for a few hours when I get home from school, and then do it at like 8ish pm.

Pedro97
Pedro97
1,870 posts
Jester

I turn off all the electronic things around me and sit on a quiet place and do it. If the homework is too long or if I have to write a text and have inspiration, I go eat something and then see if I can do it.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I didn't actually do my homework during most of my school career. The only reason I passed in earlier was because I did so well on tests that it brought my grade up to a C average. I eventually had to go to an alternative high school that didn't assign any homework so I could get my 2.5 GPA up to 3.5 when I graduated.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Most of my homework is done on a computer, which is why I probably look like I spend every waking moment here. No, instead I just keep 2 windows open: AG and my homework. I spend 5 minutes here and then 5 minutes on homework.

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

I feel your pain, you should have you parents watch over you. Becasue whenever they do, I am forced to move my pencil on my paper.

If that doesn't work, you should get your own study room like the ones parents sometimes use as an office room. It's the best place where you have your personal homework time and you have less distraction there.

And also try to set a goal, say, if you can finish the first two thirds of your homework before say 7:00pm, you can reward yourself with a 10 minute break or some snacks. You can't just constantly work or you will bore youself to procrastination.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

It's true. Focusing on homework is really difficult. For me, though, the homework is not difficult to do if I actually sit down without any distractions and start - I can usually push through to finish it.

The key is to not have anything distracting you - like an open computer or television nearby. If you must, having some music on may be helpful (if it's not the heavy metal/rock type...)

Doing your homework in a library may help.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I have ADD and want to know how you guys get/got your homework done. When I sit down to start my mind instantly goes blank. This especially happens with my algebra homework.

I don't... I procrastinate until the very last minute and then do it :P And someone else has the same armatar *jumps up and high fives*
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I ussually spend thirty minutes when I get home eating a snack and listening to music, just to relax and take a break from school stuff. Then I start with the assignment I thi k I'll enjoy least, and go from there. That way I get the bad stuff out of the way first, rather than save it for last when I'm most likely to get distracted and leave it.

But the trick is to just not procrastinate. Spread assignments out if you can, so you do little bits over time as opposed to all at once. Then you don't get swamped by a crapload of work.

fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

I wait a little while when I get home. In that time I practise My clarinet or listen to music or get on the computer to get my mind off of school...Then I work untill I get bored and take a break. Then I start up agian... I do this pattern untill I'm done woth my home work...

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

I also have some personal techniques that make homework seem fun or trick my brain.

First, I would imagine that if I don't finish my homework, a burly man will beat the cr@p out of me.

Also, I'd imagine homework like a videogame where I must complete it in order to rescue the princess...or prince in my sake.

If you really need help and can't help yourself over computer games and still live with your parents, get you mom/dad to set up parental controls and block every gamming site and stuff not related to school such as chatrooms, facebook, twitter, etc.

And take my advice on rewarding yourself when you are done/mostly done if the homework is long. You deserve some self encouragement so you don't bore yourself. If you are too bored, you will procrastinate, and if you procrastinate, you will never get your work done. Just be sure to ration your reward (if you decide to stop during your homework)like 10 minutes of break (let your parent/guardian time your break for you in case) and have a quick snack.

And I agree on listening to music, it helps calm your mind. I suggest some upbeat pop that will make you happy.

Showing 1-12 of 12