Forums

ForumsNewcomers Forum

SIPPYCUpS: the comment merit guarantee!

Thread Locked

Posted Nov 17, '12 at 11:57pm

Gantic

Gantic

9,717 posts

Blah. Should have checked my profile first. Anyways... two down, two million more to go.

Better hurry. This offer might not last forever. ;)

Posted Nov 18, '12 at 1:32am

IAgreeWithYou

IAgreeWithYou

531 posts

Seems most things that are wrong are in the 6th paragraph. Maybe just a coincidence? Also, I thought my comma splice was actually used at a correct moment? My english teacher hates me using them but I'm pretty sure they are allowed to be used in some cases. Is this one of those times? I'll change it if it is actually wrong.

Also, my end score is weighted. I may think that the story and art has a bigger impact so my score would go up. I think I mentioned somewhere that I did like this game but I didn't know why. That's why it was a little higher than what it would be if it was rounded off.

I can't believe I misspelled amount *facepalm*

Sometimes I feel like the games that make it on to armorgames aren't as great as what I would expect. This game obviously has had several hours put into the game but I feel as if it is rushed and needs several improvements. However, I believe that this game should have a higher rating than it does because the game is actually quite interesting once you get it down to the core. Just needs a bit of spit and polish.

The first thing that really makes me like this game is actually the storyline. Those of you that have played the game are probably really confused and thinking, "The story? Are you joking? This is possibly one of the vaguest stories I've ever seen and you're saying it is good?" OK, fair enough. It isn't exactly the most gripping storyline and it looked like it was made in a "Spur of the moment" sort of way but the basis of the story really felt like a great story to me. However it did leave many questions unanswered such as, "What was the point of the bomb?", "Why is the daughter needed?" and "Why are there zombies?" These don't have a huge impact on the story but it could have been easily explained. The storyline really dips because of a huge flaw in the game, interacting basically is not possible with people while you are actually playing the game. It could have made it a little more fun to talk to people who gave us more about the story. Otherwise the people serve no purpose other than art. At the end of the day the storyline (despite being vague) did give me a reason to replay the game if I failed. I think the story wasn't horrible but if you expanded on the original idea, you could be on to something.

Storyline: 6.8/10

The gameplay really does let the game down though. I will admit that I enjoyed it, but looking back it was probably the easiest to finish game that I have ever played. There is a total of 11 zombies that you need to kill (Yes I counted). This takes away any sense of achievement from finishing the game. It's not one of those games that is short, but once you finish you have that, "YES!" moment. It's just a bit "Meh". The zombie dies instantly upon shooting it as well, I don't think I died in the game once from just zombies. However, this is understandable due to the game only being one or two minutes. Overall it isn't a disaster but it really needs to be MUCH harder because that would make the short game feel much longer than one minute.

Gameplay: 3/10

The animation/art was my favourite part of the game. I like how the zombies in the game look scary despite the cute looking art. The NPC's and yourself also look very nice and bring a lot to the table. As I have no idea on game design I can't say this as a definite but I think if the time spent in art was moved over to gameplay, this would be a good game.

Graphics/Art: 8/10

The biggest let down for me was definitely the time spent in game. The game can be finished in no time at all. I don't think I would have spent more than 1 minute on this game if I wasn't reviewing it. There's only one way to improve the replay value of a game and that is to add more levels, NPCs, zombies, etc. If you spent just one month more on this game I could have had a really great time.

Amount of time spent in game: 1/10

I can't say really anything about the controls. This is because there are barely any buttons that you even need to use. The controls are placed well but the only problem I did have is that the skip button was a tad annoying to press. I personally would have made "1" or "Z" the skip button. This isn't that big of a deal but it is still important. Customisable controls wouldn't be half bad either.

Controls: 9/10

In the end I must say I did enjoy this game. Maybe because I haven't played a flash game in a while or possible because the game was actually well made. The game doesn't give an impression of a huge amount of time being spent on it though and I actually don't think the game should have made it to Armorgames because it lacks all the important elements of a good game.

Overall: 6/10

Posted Nov 18, '12 at 1:33am

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

4,621 posts

I would like to give many thanks to Gantic (and Patrick a little) for all the help he's given me.

And what's this about a "SIPPYCUpS+ premium advantage"?

Posted Nov 18, '12 at 1:34am

IAgreeWithYou

IAgreeWithYou

531 posts

*I ended up changing the comma splice anyway because it did seem awkwardly placed when I read it again.

Posted Nov 18, '12 at 12:22pm

kegaumongo

kegaumongo

1,863 posts

Here's my review of the game Swarm Control. Let me say that my knowledge of the English language isn't as good as I'd like it to be, so the text is likely to have some grammar mistakes and weirdly constructed sentence. Sorry, this is the best I can do. I'm sure that SIPPYCUpS will help me somehow...

When I played this game for the first time I thought it was promising. After playing some levels, I still think it is awesome, but I have the feeling I'll never be able to complete it. Though I don't usually give up so easily, in this case I'll gladly make an exception. I know it's just a matter of strategy, but I'm tired of failing. The last time I played the game, I found myself on the floor in a corner crying like a baby.
First off, the concept of this game is really innovative and it's rather different. I never thought I would play a defence game showing a war between bees and bears. This game is full of humour, which is something I always enjoy, and it is actually a breath of fresh air compared with the rest of the games of this genre. In addition to this, the intro is hilarious and it's a smart way to tell us the story. It was so convincing that after watching it I thumped the table with my fists and shouted out loud "Let's get rid of these annoying bears!". Luckily, I was alone because that could have been really embarrassing. My only suggestion is adding a replay button in the main menu so we can watch it again.
The graphics are very stylish and quite detailed, especially the bees. Although the background is slightly different in each season, it is actually a bit plain and it could've been worked out a bit more. However, I think the pastel colours are nicely chosen.
The simplicity of the controls is amazing. On one hand, you have a good control of the bees and they can be easily directed to targets. I like that this game is exclusively controlled by mouse instead of using awkward key combinations which would plunge me into such despair that I would eventually end up smashing my hands, and even my face, against the keyboard several times. On the other hand, it is a big disadvantage when placing traps because you're so busy with the management of the hives that you don't have enough time to lay down useful defences. Actually, I don't know how this issue can be solved. Maybe using hotkeys for placing traps could work.
The sound effects are well chosen. I didn't expect that the slow paced music suited this frantic game, but it does fit properly. However, the music in the Honeycomb Network... it seems familiar to me. I'm pretty sure it is from Arcuz 2. This doesn't bother me at all, but every time I listen to it I have a strong urge to unsheathe my sword and start killing creepy creatures. Although it is too dramatic for this funny game, I think that could've been deliberate in order to exaggerate the drama of the story.
In my opinion, the main issue with this game is the difficulty. Honestly, the first levels are really easy to beat and I did that without using any trap, but then it seems to increase exponentially. It is easy to be overwhelmed because, in less than a second, you are overrun by the bears much faster than the bees can regenerate which leaves you completely defenceless and totally frustrated. Besides, this frustration increases when you realize that certain bees are useless against some bears and some bears are virtually immune to all bees except to the ones that hurt them. This forces the player to be constantly changing the hives to repel a specific kind of bear, which is actually an appealing concept, but it can also be a real pain. I think this game would've been much better if the difficulty curve had been less steep or/and if it had had different difficulties: an easy mode to get used to the mechanics of the game, a normal/hard mode to test your strategy skills and even a survival mode for the more experienced gamers.
Overall, this is a cute defender game with some nice twists. Unfortunately, I'm so infuriated and so frustrated that I don't feel like playing it again and trying to beat it. I'm sorry, but it really gets on my nerves. That being said, I think it deserves a reasonable 7'5/10.

Posted Nov 18, '12 at 12:26pm

kegaumongo

kegaumongo

1,863 posts

I think I should've added some space between paragraphs. If it's too difficult to read, I can post it again.

Posted Nov 18, '12 at 12:41pm

toprichieboy

toprichieboy

82 posts

Colony is a rts (real time strategy) game that has single player campaign, and also features multiplayer. This game is very easy to pick up, yet requires skill to win. Any person would be able to do the builds: ie, bank, outpost, but the real game decider is your ability to micro manage resources, units, and develop strategy.

Storyline 8/10
You begin with a short tutorial, which offers you some insight to the world of Colony and its controls. On the first mission, you are investigating the lack of communication from Bjorn's settlement. As you send your first units, you discover that they are retaliating against you!
As you steadily progress to the last mission (6), you will play all the different factions that are trying to take control: Facist, Capitalist, and Communist. (Later Monarchy was added in an update, but this was never applied to the story) Overall this is a very nice campaign except it is a little short and no reason to replay it. 8/10

Graphics/Sound 10/10
These graphics are masterfully done. The sound matches your mood and alerts you when buildings are finished. Loading screens are informative, and do not last a century. Great work Krin!

Multiplayer 10/10
Here's where the real fun comes in :). Multiplayer features different chat rooms (lobby, afk garden) and different "modes." These modes, such as Earthquake, present the player limited options to building. For example, in cold war the player is not able to produce missles. You also have the ability to choose your government, like facist or communist, and that gives you a perk in resources. The ONLY major problem in Colony is the amount of hackers/glitchers. If it was included in the multiplayer score, I would have given it a 5/10. Hackers/glitchers are very annoying. Because it is not really "part" of the game I have not included it. I only hope Krin can get out an update to fix this part.

Gameplay 10/10
Easy to pick up, hard to master. Usually your strategy coincides with your government. There is probably a thousand different ways to play so I am not going to go in there. 10/10

(What things Krin should do if he updates)
Upgraded units
Upgraded defense structure
fix glitchers and hackers
fix glitches, Unkillable unit, land based units attacking air
Stop the rank reset
A new government
Make hotkeys posted on the tutorial so we know which hotkey is which.
3v3's
Great game 9.5/10 Has replay value in multiplayer. Able to make friends on chat. In my opinion, best game on armorgames.

~toprichieboy

Posted Nov 18, '12 at 1:37pm

Gantic

Gantic

9,717 posts

@ImTheMostManlyMan SIPPYCUpS+ Premium Advantage does not exist yet because I didn't figure anyone would finish within two days.
@kegaumongo Except for the first five comments that show up below the game, that's how it will look in the comments, with no spaces between paragraphs.

I'll get to the reviews later.

Posted Nov 18, '12 at 7:03pm

R2D21999

R2D21999

14,622 posts

Knight

I have a question, my game has 3 seperate people to choose that take 3 seperate paths on the game, do I have to put all of the paths that they all take, or just one?

Posted Nov 18, '12 at 7:34pm

Gantic

Gantic

9,717 posts

Rule of thumb: If you've got something to say, you should explain it. If you can't explain it, you don't need it. If you don't have anything to say, don't add it.

REPLIES:
@IAgreeWithYou A comma splice is alright is certain situations, but largely not accepted in English, especially for longer sentences.
@R2D21999 You're not supposed to be writing a game summary or walkthrough. Is it vital to the game which character you pick? Why not play all three?

REVIEWS:
@IAgreeWithYou Okely dokely. Pass Go. Collect your $200.
@kegaumongo Done done done doooone. Done done done dooooone. I thought some Bee-thoven was appropriate for the situation.
@toprichieboy You review should be more about what you thought about the game and less about what the game was about. Also, why should some of your suggestions be included and what would they entail?

ROSTER:
70_70_70
colony101
danielhuy
EmperorPalpatine
GhostOfHorror
Jacen96
pangtongshu*
R2D21999
royalguy
Runescape124
soccerdude2
TheRed555
toprichieboy
trying
VonHeisenbourg
vinster132
xeano321
xerox
xXxDAPRO89xXx
*Ineligible for SIPPYCUpS merit guarantee.

SIPPYCUpS Graduates: IAgreeWithYou, ImTheMostManlyMan, kegaumongo, Patrick2011