jostar11

14 posts

this is great

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 4:08pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

3,115 posts

Review, Mark III

CoolioDJ, a game that at a glance looks stupidly simple, is in some ways quite meritorious, but also deserves some degradation. The controls are simple and are easy to learn. There are several songs available for you to play, and each one has a differing amount of difficulty. The way the developer implemented the difficulty ramp by releasing notes closer together on harder songs is interesting. However, there exists no indication that the game saves your progress: this is shown through the achievements blanking out upon each reload. On the jam session, you start out with basics and move on to harder and harder songs. This game has some great things going for it, conversely though; it has some things that aren't so great.

Of the cons for this game, perhaps the worse is if you have a trackpad. So if you are using one the game's difficulty ranges from really hard to impossible compared to when you use a mouse, where it ranges from easy to hard. The game itself is also really easy to master, so perhaps making the disks run on separate controls would be a good thing to add. The jam session should have more songs in it, possibly every song, because it is too short. And when I looked at the requirements for the songs, I found one to be ambiguous as it says achieve rock master in jam session, which could mean on every song or on one song or anywhere in between.

Overall, considering both the good and the bad found in this game, it still gets a high grade. I think I was a bit premature in my rating of eight and a half, and after thinking I believe it deserves a solid score of eight because of elements that should be added. Missing elements include, but are not limited to: a pause button, the ability to quit between songs, and the ability to submit scores for individual songs. With all things considered, this game is worthy of being recommended to friends when they have time to spare, or have nothing else to do.

p.s. Gantic, maybe you should put what game the members are reviewing in the roster, so people don't do the same thing and/or plagiarize ideas.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 7:04pm

Gantic

Gantic

10,061 posts

@jostar11 If you want to start, pick a game, play the game, write your review, and post your review to this thread.
@Jacen96 Fix this and you're done: "This game has some great things going for it, conversely though; it has some things that aren't so great." Replace the comma with a with a period, capitalize the "conversely", and replace the semicolon with a comma. You're not using the semicolon correctly here.
I'm not worried about people choosing the same game. There will be trouble if reviews read similarly, but eh, it's not like they're going to get anything short of a warning.

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 8:09pm

daleks

daleks

3,706 posts

You now also qualify for SIPPYCUpS+ Premium Advantage!

Have you started this yet Gantic? And if the answer is yes what is it?

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 8:20pm

Gantic

Gantic

10,061 posts

@daleks See page 12.

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 9:30pm

soccerdude2

soccerdude2

1,715 posts

I may have missed some changes, or maybe not.

Do you have anything substantive to back up your statements or are they just based on a certain style of gameplay that is more often seen?

I would say it's mostly based on the style of gameplay seen which excludes certain units, structures, and governments but also overuses some too. But without reading the GCD I would have never thought about them. Should it be mentioned in my comment?

--

In my opinion, this is the best and most entertaining strategy game on Armor Games. There are countless strategies, builds, and different ways to play the game. I've been playing the game ever since it came out and I still haven't gotten tired of it. To add to that, updates have been added to the game which have brought more units, more buildings/upgrades, and ways to add friends/have friendlists.

One drawback to the game is its campaign. It only has six missions, and even these are basically just tutorial missions that give you a feel for the game. This usually would be fine except for the fact that there is NOTHING else added in the campaign, which leads to the idea that this game is mostly meant for multiplayer. Quick play mode is decent; it is hard at first, but as oneâs skill increases, it slowly gets easier and easier to beat the harder difficulties, which is what I think it should be.

Now to the multiplayer aspect: the multiplayer here is truly incredible. You can choose to play with players and/or a CPU as 2v2, 1v1, and 1v2. The multiplayer seems to lag a bit if you choose to play make-giant-armies-and-wait-for-the-other-team-to-attack style, but if you play a higher level of skill focused on pinning and controlling the field like most pros, the game doesnât really lag unless you have a crappy connection.

A major drawback that many people have complained about is the many hackers and glitches in multiplayer. One way I found to help make this not as annoying is to play with people you know, and to not play with guests. I know Krin has added a lot of patches designed to eliminate hackers. Although hackers have always ways around these, I applaud these anti-hacking efforts. A slight problem with the CPUs is that is seems they draw on an infinite amount of resources and are preset to strategies that confine them resource-wise. This is fine, but however hard CPUs upgrade much faster than a normal player. It seems like Krin made them to be very good at macro so he wouldnât have to worry about them being able to micro well. Because of their weakness in micro, I can still 1v2 them easily and win. Additionally, there are some bugs in the game that can be exploited. When canceling a command at the very last second, the command goes through yet you still get a refund. This gives you no resource loss but still a unit deployed. Another is that it seems when clicking an influence unit many times in rapid succession you suddenly are awarded 200 influence.

Finally, the game is slightly imbalanced in some ways, pertaining to units, resource structures, and governments. Communist is slightly weaker compared to the other governments. Special forces massed destroy forge. Tier 3 Forge is very weak compared to tier 3 Post. Hospital and War Sanctum have a lot of extra uses, which gives them an advantage over Generator and Solar Grid. Groditz are weak and rarely used. Marines are too useful for their price. The armory has lost its use in high-level games. These are some imbalances, others can be seen in the General Colony Discussion with some digging. Even so, these imbalances donât amount to that much, as you can still have very closely matched games with two very different strategies that rely on different units. Colony is a great game that has kept me entertained for all these years with its excellent multiplayer and superior gameplay. Keep up the great work Krin!

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 11:29pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

3,115 posts

My review is up on CoolioDJ, should be easy to find since there has only been 5 comments since I posted the original form at the beginning of last month (you can delete that version now.)

p.s. soccerdude, that review is a mouthful, not surprised you did one of krin's games.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Nov 22, '12 at 7:42am

phoenixzed

phoenixzed

15 posts

so i will get merit if i comment there.ok

Posted Nov 22, '12 at 11:17am

jostar11

jostar11

14 posts

here is my review from the game into space 2

Do you know what I am so over? The moon. It's so two years ago even Hot Topic doesn't care anymore. Now, Mars... yeah, baby, Mars is red hot!... or, uh, red anyway. The point is, everyone knows that Mars is the place to be, and in Barbarian Games' latest launch game Into Space 2, you're going to get us there. Using the [WASD] or [arrow] keys, you'll guide your rocket once it takes off, nabbing pickups to replenish fuel or repair damage, avoiding obstacles that'll bust you up, or zipping through gates to get a little boostie of speed. Once you run out of fuel or take too much damage, you'll fall back to the ground and be given cash to spend on upgrades depending on how far you got and any extra coin you managed to grab. In the sky. Look, don't look a magic-floating-sky-money-horse in the mouth, buddy. Just keep flying until you reach Mars.

Like the original, Into Space 2 takes a simple concept and makes it stand out from a sea of other similar games by piling on tons of upgrade options and more realistic controls. Steering your rocket takes some getting used to, and you'll definitely have to spend a few test-flights grinding enough cash until you can afford to get better parts for your rinky-dink spaceship. The addition of missions to unlock more upgrades and rewards helps to alleviate some of the sense of repetition by giving you other goals to work towards, especially since they actually almost feel like separate minigames rather than just arbitrary checkpoints you would have gotten while playing anyway. The end result is a launch game that feels a bit meatier than most, but might be a bit too fiddly for some players looking for a simple bombastic arcade fix. The greater depth is something you don't see a lot of in these types of games, however, and if you're looking for the sort of casual gameplay that encourages just enough higher brain function beyond "smash this button, like, a whole lot", then this might be your ticket to ride.

Posted Nov 22, '12 at 12:48pm

xerox

xerox

513 posts

I am going to do a review about other game, but i need someone to ProofRead it !!!!!!!!!!!!