ForumsNewcomers ForumSIPPYCUpS: the comment merit guarantee!

300 30224
Gantic
Gantic
11,751 posts

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/blackcairn/AG/SIPPYCUpS.png

Welcome to SIPPYCUpS, the comment merit guarantee!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/blackcairn/AG/SIPPYCUpSWhat.png
SIPPYCUpS (aka the Self-Improvement Program Promoting Your Comment Upgrade Success) is an introduction to the world of game comment merits. Game comment merits are given to superb game reviews, of which you could be one of many writers! SIPPYCUpS will help you on your way to your very first merit. If you want to earn merits, but don't know where to start, SIPPYCUpS is a good place. You write, we review, you learn! When you complete SIPPYCUpS, you will earn your guaranteed merit right away! And you'll also know what it takes it write great game comments and maybe earn more merits on your own.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/blackcairn/AG/SIPPYCUpSJoin.png
It's easy to join SIPPYCUpS! Just sign up in this thread. SIPPYCUpS is available to everyone who has not already completed SIPPYCUpS, but only users with 0 merits before signing up can earn the merit right away after completing SIPPYCUpS.*

*If users have merits from sources other than game comments, they must link to all comments containing the merits. Should that total be equal to the merit count upon enrollment, that user will be eligible for the merit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/blackcairn/AG/SIPPYCUpSStart.png
Once you are approved for SIPPYCuPS, you are ready to start!
1.) Read Up about merits if you haven't already. Don't worry. It isn't a long read.
2.) Look Up a game you like and play it through. Take notes as you play.
3.) Write Up a review of it. Don't know where to start? We'll help you with that.
4.) Proof Up your review and correct any mistakes. This is an important step.
5.) Post Up your review in this thread. A SIPPYCUpS representative will review your review.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/blackcairn/AG/SIPPYCUpSGrow.png
Once your review has been reviewed by a representative of SIPPYCUpS, you can start improving your review by looking at the suggestions. Do you need to work on your grammar? Do you need to add something to your review? Do you need to rewrite for clarity? Learn from these suggestions! Repeat.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/blackcairn/AG/SIPPYCUpSLevel.png
Once your final review has been approved, you have leveled up with SIPPYCUpS! Now you know what it takes to write a great game comment. Post your review to the game and earn your well-deserved merit. You can now use what you learned to write better comments in the future and maybe earn more merits, and you'll know you earned these on your own. You now also qualify for SIPPYCUpS+ Premium Advantage!

• 300 Replies
xeano321
xeano321
3,087 posts

Hey Gantic, is it alright if I switch my review from Exit Path 2 to Dogfight 2? I feel I could possibly write a better review that way.

Runescape124
Runescape124
3,028 posts

The Arrow of Time
by TheSuperFlashBros

Gameplay

How to Play
The game is very simple to play: You use your mouse to draw back the bowstring to power up your shots, and you release the bowstring to fire. If you are using a mouse pad, you can chose a setting that allows you to just click and hold to build power. You move your mouse (or your finger on the mouse pad) to aim around the screen. The game is very easy to get the hang of, but it all goes uphill from here.

Power Ups

As you destroy enemies, you gain points in the form of flashing white balls. You can use these points to buy various types of arrows in the shop after each wave. You can also buy extra turrets to fire from, an automatic turret that fires regular arrows at the closest enemy, two different types of shields, and a cloaking device to make the castle invisible for a few seconds. For the arrows, you can combine the various types for super arrows, like a Lightning and Piercing Arrow, that will strike lightning down upon the foe that is pierced several times. Or maybe a Fire and Explosive combo, blowing up your enemies and setting them on fire at the same time.

Eras, Levels, and Enemies

As you play the game, you will play through various eras of humankind's past (and possible future). To complete an era, you must simply play through three normal levels and a single boss level. As you play through these levels and eras, you come across some many, many different types of enemies, but as you might notice, some are quite similar across eras:

Helicopter: Very agile flying machine, shoots arrows/bullets
Plane: Will fly straight at you, shoots arrows/bullets
Balloon: Much like the Helicopter, but much bigger, drops bombs
Missile: Will fly straight at you, explodes on impact
Bomber: Much like Balloon, but flies in the upper reaches of the screen, drops very powerful bombs
Boss: Toot's his name, giant machines is his game, weapons and flying patterns will vary per era.

As you progress through the levels and eras, these enemies will become increasingly tougher, faster, and will dish out more damage.

Artistics

Music

The music in the game, created by Evan Merz, is very beautiful sounding, with various instruments used per era, like jazz instruments used in the era, World at War, or the violins used in The Beginnings and Victorian Age eras. You can download this beautiful music from TheSuperFlashBros' website: http://superflashbros.net/2009/05/18/the-arrow-of-time-soundtrack/

Art

The game is drawn in a in an extremely beautiful steampunk-themed way, with the enemies being drawn based around what type of aircraft were or might have been flying around each era. I've heard of many game creators who will first draw a sketch of what they want, and then go off of that while making the background, scenery, and characters; How this game looks, it seems like they took scans of drawings, colored them in using a program of some sort, and put them into the game. It does look slightly sketchy, but I believe that is how is supposed to look.

Final Comments

This is a well created game, the controls are simple, the graphics and music help hook players, as well as the challenging aspects of the game, with the enemies getting better and better each era. It's these aspects of the game that help make it a good game, and this isn't just a good game. It is an extremely incredible game, and I hope that TheSuperFlashBros make more just like.

Runescape124
Runescape124
3,028 posts

Are people really only participating because they want the free merit involved and not because they want to learn more and participate (and perhaps be able to teach others the way of the above average comment)?
All things considered, they might even learn how to write such good comments they don't need the guarantee...
Weird.

I'm not writing reviews in this thread JUST to get merits (that's just a bonus). I'm writing reviews in this thread so I can learn how to write better reviews, and take this knowledge and use it elsewhere on big games such as World of Warcraft, World of Tanks, RuneScape, and so on. The point of writing a review is to show the creator of the game how he/she pushed all of the right buttons for players, or at least pushed most of them. Another important factor about reviews is that you can write about the things in the game that weren't to your liking, or things the game creator can improve. Like better graphics, better music, better computer AI, and so on. Game creators don't HAVE to follow what you wrote in your review on things he/she can improve, but he/she can at least figure out what kind of gamers are playing his/her game, and how he/she could possibly improve it if they wished to. Why don't you try writing a comment/review of a game you like, instead of writing critique over Gantic's (extremely great) attempt at helping other users.
Gantic
Gantic
11,751 posts

REPLIES:
@VonHeisenbourg Pick a new game.
@danielhuy Play the game. Write a review of the game. Post that review to this thread.
@ImTheMostManlyMan You tell me. Why did you break your paragraphs like that?
@xeano321 It doesn't matter. I'm not keeping track of what games you guys are picking.

REVIEWS:
@Runescape124 A common mistake is writing a summary of the game and/or game walkthrough. You don't need a lot of what you wrote. You especially do not need to go into so much detail about the game. If you want to write about what the game was about, you should keep it to no more than a paragraph or several sentences. The focus of the review should be what you thought about the game, not what the game was about.

ROSTER:
70_70_70
danielhuy
EmperorPalpatine
GhostOfHorror
ImTheMostManlyMan
Jacen96
kegaumongo
Patrick2011
R2D21999
royalguy
Runescape124
soccerdude2
trying
VonHeisenbourg
vinster132
xeano321
xerox
xXxDAPRO89xXx
*Ineligible for SIPPYCUpS merit guarantee.

Runescape124
Runescape124
3,028 posts

@Runescape124 A common mistake is writing a summary of the game and/or game walkthrough. You don't need a lot of what you wrote. You especially do not need to go into so much detail about the game. If you want to write about what the game was about, you should keep it to no more than a paragraph or several sentences. The focus of the review should be what you thought about the game, not what the game was about.

Oh, ok.
MachineofLight
MachineofLight
317 posts

I'll join, I could use better review skills anyway.

toprichieboy
toprichieboy
82 posts

Will be doing it. My game is Colony. Plz register

TheMostManlyManEver
TheMostManlyManEver
31 posts

As I start the game I'm immediately intrigued by the setting of the menu, followed other graphical curiosities. The first of which is the character. A blank canvas of a person, his blank profile gives him an air of mystery, but you can easily tell that he is the good guy by the fact that he is white as opposed to the usual black and the pose you find him in at the start of the chapters and when he sits idle.

The gameplay was quite enjoyable for those who like this type of game. You run and jump to get to the end of the "chapter", but the shaking of the screen and the tricky obstacles keep you entertained and paying attention. Each chapter of the game kept the same feel as the last one but without being monotonous credited to the new, tricky and fun obstacles that each progressing mission provides. You find as you continue in the mission that you are about to kill a monster, but first you must climb to the top to hit him at his critical spot located at the top. Getting to the top is no easy feet though, you must go up, down, left and right to get there. Kudos to you for making the body parts that you climb up and the monsters' full outward appearance go together and not be contradictory to each other. I also think that the job you did on making the levels hard and innovative are so good that I had the tendency to forget that I was climbing a monster, but that feeling of being on a monster was preserved by to things.
The shaking screen followed/accompanied by roaring and finding the weak spot and stabbing and killing it at the end of each chapter.

The music, odd at times, does help intensify the whole thing and put it together nicely. I find that the removal of the music as you go underwater sells the effect of being underwater.

The story was good. It was short, sweet and to the point, but not so much that you don't get to appreciate it. The story part was long enough that you got a good idea as to what was going on but short enough to hold back complaint of it being too gameplay-interrupting. At the end of the story was what I thought was a nice and, in a way, pleasant story twist. I won't go into details about the story but I will say that it's good and kept you paying attention to it.

By the time I first finished it I was ready for the game to be over, but after playing it through for a second time my only complaint is that it wasn't longer.

Is that any better?

colony101
colony101
44 posts

I like kingdom rush because it is a simple tower defense game
it has many different levels and upgrades, which are good because you can have many different strategies. The money makes the some strategies impossible but others better. There are 6 upgrades for every unit and you get 3, 2, or 1 stars based on how good you did. I didn't like that J.T (the yeti boss)
was hard. I think the game was the hardest in the winter lands because of the winter wolves, fast and high hp (288).

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,479 posts

Oops, sorry. I didn't realize that I was signed in as my brother. That is my (hopefully) fixed review that is in that post.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,479 posts

That one little paragraph looks stupid by itself. let me fix that and make a few changes throughout the whole thing.

As I start the game I'm immediately intrigued by the setting of the menu, followed other graphical curiosities. The first of which is the character. A blank canvas of a person, his blank profile gives him an air of mystery, but you can easily tell that he is the good guy by the fact that he is white as opposed to the usual black and the pose you find him in at the start of the chapters and when he sits idle.

The gameplay was quite enjoyable for those who like this type of game. You run and jump to get to the end of the "chapter", but the shaking of the screen and the tricky obstacles keep you entertained and paying attention. Each chapter of the game kept the same feel as the last one but without being monotonous credited to the new, tricky and fun obstacles that each progressing mission provides. You find as you continue in the mission that you are about to kill a monster, but first you must climb to the top to hit him at his critical spot located at the top. Getting to the top is no easy feet though, you must go up, down, left and right to get there. Kudos to you for making the body parts that you climb up and the monsters' full outward appearance go together and not be contradictory to each other. I also think that the job you did on making the levels hard and innovative are so good that I had the tendency to forget that I was climbing a monster, but that feeling of being on a monster was preserved by to things.
The shaking screen followed/accompanied by roaring and finding the weak spot and stabbing and killing it at the end of each chapter.

The music, though odd at times, does help intensify the whole thing and put it together nicely and further the feel that you're fighting a tough enemy. I find that the removal of the music as you go underwater sells the effect of being underwater. The music also helps to tell what period of time you're in and where you're at with the medieval middle-east sounding music.

The story was good. It was short, sweet and to the point, but not so much that you don't get to appreciate it. The story part was long enough that you got a good idea as to what was going on but short enough to hold back complaint of it being too gameplay-interrupting. At the end of the story was what I thought was a nice and, in a way, pleasant story twist. I won't go into details about the story but I will say that it's good and kept you paying attention to it.

By the time I first finished it I was ready for the game to be over, but after playing it through for a second time my only complaint is that it wasn't longer. I would say that it is one of my favorite flash game out of the over 800 that I've played for being a fun, challenging and well balanced game.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,113 posts

An interesting game that deserves some praise. The controls are simple and is easy to learn. There are several songs available for you to play, and each one has a differing amount of difficulty. Of course the way difficulty is addressed is also interesting, as you get the notes released closer and closer together. The fact that it doesn't appear to save if disappointing however and that should be introduced. On the jam session, you start out with basics and move on to harder and harder songs. This game has some great things going for it, conversely though, it has some things that aren't so great.

Of the cons for this game, perhaps the worse is if you have a trackpad, it can be really hard to impossible because of how much easier a mouse is to use. It is also really easy to master, so perhaps making the disks run on separate controls would be a good thing to add. The jam session should have more songs in it, possibly every song, because it is too short. And when I looked at the requirements for the songs, I found one to be ambiguous as it says achieve rock master in jam session, which could mean on every song or on one song or anywhere in between.

Overall, the game has some good and bad, earning it anywhere an eight. I really like the ease of control, but dislike the way the songs are easy and then difficulty jumps way up on the fourth song in jam session. Some of the songs sound really cool, but others are medicore. Definitely a great game, but it has room to improve.

This is a review I wrote a while ago for coolioDJ, so I figured this would be a great place to start, before moving on to colony.

~~~Darth Caedus
toprichieboy
toprichieboy
82 posts

What the heck. I could swear I put my comment on here to sign up.... Now its not here.. Anyway ill join and be able to write a review of COLONY. Thanks

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,995 posts

I'll join

I will begin my search for where my merits came from (I know they weren't game comments) and have them as soon as I can

As for my game..yeah..I don't know yet. Will also get back to you on that later

Basically...just wanted to sign up real quicklys

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
521 posts

How did I miss this. I was all ready for this too. Can't believe I was late.

Never fear. Time to write.

Eleventh Hour (Review)

Sometimes I feel like the games that make it on to armorgames aren't as great as what I would expect. This game obviously has had several hours put into the game but I feel as if it is rushed and needs several improvements. However, I believe that this game should have a higher rating than it does because the game is actually quite interesting once you get it down to the core. Just needs a bit of spit and polish.

The first thing that really makes me like this game is actually the storyline. Those of you that have played the game are probably really confused and thinking, "The story? Are you joking? This is possibly one of the vaguest stories I've ever seen and you're saying it is good?" OK, fair enough. It isn't exactly the most gripping storyline and it looked like it was made in a "Spur of the moment" sort of way but the basis of the story really felt like a great story to me. However it did leave many questions unanswered such as, "What was the point of the bomb?", "Why is the daughter needed?" and "Why are there zombies?" These don't have a huge impact on the story but it could have been easily explained. The storyline really dips because of a huge flaw in the game, interacting basically is not possible with people while you are actually playing the game. It could have made it a little more fun to talk to people who gave us more about the story. Otherwise the people serve no purpose other than art. At the end of the day the storyline (despite being vague) did give me a reason to replay the game if I failed. I think the story wasn't horrible but if you expanded on the original idea, you could be on to something.

Storyline: 6.8/10

The gameplay really does let the game down though. I will admit that I enjoyed it, but looking back it was probably the easiest to finish game that I have ever played. There is a total of 11 zombies that you need to kill (Yes I counted). This takes away any sense of achievement from finishing the game. It's not one of those games that is short, but once you finish you have that, "YES!" moment. It's just a bit "Meh". The zombie dies instantly upon shooting it as well, I don't think I died in the game once from just zombies. However, this is understandable due to the game only being one or two minutes. Overall it isn't a disaster but it really needs to be MUCH harder because that would make the short game feel much longer than one minute.

Gameplay: 3/10

The animation/art was my favourite part of the game. I like how the zombies in the game look scary despite the cute looking art. The NPC's and yourself also look very nice and bring a lot to the table. As I have no idea on game design I can't say this as a definite but I think if the time spent in art was moved over to gameplay, this would be a good game.

Graphics/Art: 8/10

The biggest let down for me was definitely the time spent in game. The game can be finished in no time at all. I don't think I would have spent more than 1 minute on this game if I wasn't reviewing it. There's only one way to improve the replay value of a game and that is to add more levels, NPCs, zombies, etc. If you spent just one month more on this game I could have had a really great time.

Ammount of time spent in game: 1/10

I can't say really anything about the controls. This is because there's barely any buttons that you even need to use. There was one problem though, I would have possibly made skip "1" instead of "S". It's not that big of a deal but is still important. Customisable controls wouldn't be half bad either.

Controls: 9/10

In the end I must say I did enjoy this game. Maybe because I haven't played a flash game in a while or possible because the game was actually well made. The game doesn't give an impression of a huge ammount of time being spent on it though and I actually don't think the game should have made it to armorgames because it lacks all the important elements of a good game.

Overall: 6/10

Showing 61-75 of 300