Forums

ForumsPopular Media

I know it has been out for a while but.....

Posted Nov 15, '12 at 8:30pm

Jumpper

Jumpper

227 posts

Yesterday I was watching Inception and the question entered my mind:
at the end of the movie is he in a dream or in real life?

can somebody please help me answer this question by stating what they believe and why you think that.

Posted Nov 16, '12 at 7:53am

Cenere

Cenere

14,002 posts

Knight

It's kinda the point of the whole thing. You need to find your own meaning to it, and live with the bit of doubt as well.

As far as I have seen, the most common opinion is that the wobble the top makes just before the screen cuts to black means it's reality, though another logical solution would be that he has been in a dream world since testing the better anaesthetic.

Personally, I don't particularly care. I do think it's reality, but even if it isn't, it won't matter to Cobb, because he has finally found peace. He's with his kids again, everything is alright and he doesn't doubt it himself. He leaves the spinning top, because it truly does not matter to him any more. If it's a dream, it's a dream he would rather be in than reality, and if it's reality, there will never be a dream as pleasant.
And, to me, that is what matters more in this case.

But, you probably ought to make your own mind to this. After all, it does change the movie quite a bit, depending on which ending you believe in.

Posted Nov 16, '12 at 11:22am

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

That movie was complicated enough as it was for a cliff-hanger ending. Anyhow, Cen pretty much what needed to be said: Interpret it the way you want to.

Anyway, to give this post some meaning, INCEPTION IN MATH.

f(x) = 23x+95 g(x) = 8382

Find f(g). :D

Posted Nov 16, '12 at 1:00pm

Bronze

Bronze

2,454 posts

Yeah, Cen explains it well.

I prefer to believe that the spinning top topples over. I've even read that some people hear it fall over in the credits, but I think they are just hearing what they want to.

Posted Nov 16, '12 at 1:14pm

Cenere

Cenere

14,002 posts

Knight

Well, one other thing to take into account is that totems might not work in your own dreams, where you are the one in control. After all, that is the point of making a totem completely personal to you. You are the one who knows how it works, what it does to show reality and what it doesn't. If you are in your dream, alone, no one having manipulated or created the surroundings, no one in there with you, technically it should show everything as reality, since you are the one creating the dream.
Still calls for some kind of acceptance from Cobb, which might be bittersweet to the viewer, but might be the better of the results outside of it being reality.

I think.

Posted Nov 16, '12 at 1:17pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

Wait, when did they say that? I can't remember anyone being inside their own dream without someone else being cognitive on their own free will with them.

Posted Nov 16, '12 at 1:24pm

Cenere

Cenere

14,002 posts

Knight

I believe they explain it when introducing Ariadne to the whole concept.
I will look it up in the movie in a moment when I go for another cup of tea, but until then, well, doesn't it make sense? If it's your dream, made in your own head, how is the characteristics of your totem going to be wrong from what you know? It's not like you forget such things just because you are dreaming.
Like Saito, when he falls on the carpet, and it doesn't feel right.

Posted Nov 16, '12 at 1:33pm

Cenere

Cenere

14,002 posts

Knight

The purpose of the totem is to determine you are not in someone else's dream. As quoted from Arthur: "That way, when you look at your totem, you know beyond a doubt that you're not in someone else's dream."
So, for all we know, Cobb could be caught in his own dream, and just doesn't care anyway.

Which reminds me, I believe Limbo might work differently, since it's on such a deep level of dreaming that it has become some kind of collective sublevel of subconsciousness, that you are not in your own dreamscape any more, but in the entire human population's dreamscape, but that is just theory.

Posted Nov 16, '12 at 5:59pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,119 posts

f(x) = 23x+95 g(x) = 8382

Find f(g).

360.30?

Posted Nov 16, '12 at 6:02pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

360.30?

If I did it right, I think it's supposed to be 192881. I'm not sure because I haven't done it in ages.

Pretty sure you do 23(8382) +95.

Reply to I know it has been out for a while but.....

You must be logged in to post a reply!