ForumsGamesThe Elder Scrolls Online

19 2108
blk2860
blk2860
10,793 posts

Who here is excited about Elder Scrolls Online? I cannot wait for it to come out. I heard it's gonna be amazing.

• 19 Replies
The_Gentlemen
The_Gentlemen
179 posts

Okay. God.

You want to know what I think?

The guys at Bethesda seen that Skyrim selled a lot. So one of them said "Hey, what if we make a MMORPG, just to get more money?"

They all thought it was a great idea, and thus they made it.

I couldn't care less about this. I just hope they don't make TES V more noobish. Skyrim drived the franchise down a bad road. I hope they get back to the good ol' times.

The times when the Red Mountain erupted and the the Tribunal ruled.
When the Emperor died and demons swarmed the world.

ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
438 posts

The guys at Bethesda seen that Skyrim selled a lot. So one of them said "Hey, what if we make a MMORPG, just to get more money?"

Isn't the point of making games is to earn money? You don't spend years learning game development for nothing you know. Sides, many TES fans have been clamouring for an MMORPG since the times of Morrowind and plans have been there for quite some time.

I couldn't care less about this. I just hope they don't make TES V more noobish. Skyrim drived the franchise down a bad road. I hope they get back to the good ol' times.

I played both Oblivion and Skyrim and personally, both have different feelings. Oblivion felt like an adventure whereas Skyrim felt more hackish and slashish but both being real fun. But remember, you can't expect to games to be same; time changes. Skyrim actually revolutionised the TES series with great graphics and new mechanics.

I see that you are trying to hate on Bethesda, but its good to get some of your facts right first.

As for TES: Online, I can't get my hands on it.
partydevil
partydevil
5,299 posts

Skyrim actually revolutionised the TES series with great graphics and new mechanics.

and they left out so many things that they had in the past. that it isn't even funny anymore. where is the deep story? where are the items? where is the traveling?

in morrowind i had the feeling of being in that world. now it is a fantasy slashing game. just quest after quest and thats it.
xNightwish
xNightwish
1,638 posts

First of all. BETHESDA ISNT MAKING THIS GAME. Zenimax, Bethesda's mother company, is making the game. So don't hate on Bethesda for this game.

But I actually am pretty excited for this game. It seems really cool and what I saw of it, it seems cooler than I thought.
Although the combat-system isn't as appealing I still want to play it with my friends.
Btw anyone decided which race/faction they will choose?
HahiHa
HahiHa
6,442 posts

I don't know if there will come a time when I will be perverted into trying it out, but for now I can only shake my head. Nightwish is right to some extend, it doesn't look half as bad as most other MMOs you find. But as a die-hard Morrowind addict, I just cannot play the game supposing it is indeed an Elder Scrolls game. It isn't. It's an Elder Scrolls themed MMO, and yes, there is a difference. A vital one for the ES game experience.

The_Gentlemen
The_Gentlemen
179 posts

Isn't the point of making games is to earn money? You don't spend years learning game development for nothing you know. 'Sides, many TES fans have been clamouring for an MMORPG since the times of Morrowind and plans have been there for quite some time.

I know that they need money. That's why I don't care. If you make a game only for the money, then you're sure that it won't be too good.
This game will probably be like the usual P2W game. I wouldn't have any problems with a well made MMORPG, but this looks like the hundred copypasted ones you can find on the internets.
I would like to be wrong, but this is the impression I have.

I played both Oblivion and Skyrim and personally, both have different feelings. Oblivion felt like an adventure whereas Skyrim felt more hackish and slashish but both being real fun. But remember, you can't expect to games to be same; time changes.

I played Morrorwind and managed to get my hands on an old Daggerfall version. Yeah, completely different feelings. I know that times change, but what if, along the usual good story, they added a completely new
combat system? THAT would have been good.
It IS noobish. Not too much, but it still is. I beated it on Master dying only a few times, while on Oblivion is died a lot on Normal difficulty. There is a bland story, and sometimes I feel like I'm playing with a dummy. I haven't got too much power over it, while in Oblivion I could decide to either save the thief or denounce her to the Countess.

Skyrim actually revolutionised the TES series with great graphics and new mechanics.

Look man, I like some good graphics and mechanics, but I would like to have a good story too. Which is exactly what Skyrim fails at. It has some great moments, sure, but hey, the quests are most, if not all, boring and bland. And the Guilds? The Companions was just a series of dungeons (the best thing was definitely the werewolf transformation), the Thiefs was boring, and the Wizards was definitely good, but only in the last part.
And shall we talk about items? No possibility to mix spells, no complex thinking into equipping the equipment (pun unintended) , just get the most powerful weapon/ spell and the armor with the highest defence rating and stock on health/ mana potions.

First of all. BETHESDA ISNT MAKING THIS GAME. Zenimax, Bethesda's mother company, is making the game. So don't hate on Bethesda for this game.

Bethesda has the franchise. They are the ones that decided to make the game. Zenimax is just the team that's going to do it.

I see that you are trying to hate on Bethesda, but its good to get some of your facts right first.

I see why you tought that. I had a bad day, and I apologize for the hating. I should really think more before talking/ writing.
xNightwish
xNightwish
1,638 posts

Bethesda has the franchise. They are the ones that decided to make the game. Zenimax is just the team that's going to do it.

No. Just no.
These days Bethesda is just a "part" of Zenimax. Bethesda couldn't have decided to do it, Zenimax did it. If Zenimax buys the CoD franchise and tells Bethesda to release one every year Bethesda does it. Although probably a lot of people will leave but that's another story.

This game will probably be like the usual P2W game. I wouldn't have any problems with a well made MMORPG, but this looks like the hundred copypasted ones you can find on the internets.

Have you even seen videos about the game. Look at the "Introduction to The Elder Scrolls Online" video. You see that the game is more than a WoW or GW copy. Just watch the video and listen, and them come back to discuss the game.

But as a die-hard Morrowind addict, I just cannot play the game supposing it is indeed an Elder Scrolls game. It isn't. It's an Elder Scrolls themed MMO, and yes, there is a difference. A vital one for the ES game experience.

I played all 5 games a lot to and that's why I'm so excited about the game. This is the first time since Arena since you can travel trough the whole of Tamriel, and this time the game isn't as easy as Skyrim and will probably be less buggy then Morrowind.
And of course it is a ESthemed MMO, but I think this game will add a lot of pages to the Elder Scrolls Lore and will still have a certain ES feeling.
blk2860
blk2860
10,793 posts

Btw anyone decided which race/faction they will choose?

I decided I'll be a Breton. Bretons are pretty cool cause they're basically Half - Elves.
HahiHa
HahiHa
6,442 posts

I played all 5 games a lot to and that's why I'm so excited about the game. This is the first time since Arena since you can travel trough the whole of Tamriel, and this time the game isn't as easy as Skyrim and will probably be less buggy then Morrowind.

But Morrowinds bugs added so much charm to the game :P

The problem is with that MMO, you'll stop being the either anonymous or destined hero defining the issue of the game. And from what I saw from the video, they tried of course to add as much lore as possible but there are still loads of things that look like a generic WoW rip-off, and that makes it look ugly. To me at least. Thus merely ES-themed, and not an actual TES game.
xXnereusXx
xXnereusXx
1 posts

If none of you have seen it yet, look up "Introduction to Elder Scrolls Online", it answers alot of questions and shows alot of gameplay. I share this in hopes of informing people more on ESO, i admit i was skeptical at first with ESO, but this video makes it somewhat more bearable, while it shows high hopes to ESO. I say i can only be really bad, or really good, it all comes down to ZeniMax and Bethesda...

ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
438 posts

I know that they need money. That's why I don't care. If you make a game only for the money, then you're sure that it won't be too good.

If you were to play an MMORPG without expecting P2W elements, you are going to have a bad time. How do you think they would make money? Look, this is marketing. Not every game company complies with every fan's whim you know and this is something we fans have to stomach. If you think that it is going to be a "clone" of MMO's out there, you should regard xNightwish's statement about that.

I played Morrorwind and managed to get my hands on an old Daggerfall version. Yeah, completely different feelings. I know that times change, but what if, along the usual good story, they added a completely new
combat system? THAT would have been good.
It IS noobish. Not too much, but it still is. I beated it on Master dying only a few times, while on Oblivion is died a lot on Normal difficulty. There is a bland story, and sometimes I feel like I'm playing with a dummy. I haven't got too much power over it, while in Oblivion I could decide to either save the thief or denounce her to the Countess

I know that both games are completely different. As I said, Skyrim was more of a hack and slash with a relatively easy combat whereas combat in oblivion is much tougher as you have to carefully plan your attacks while blocking your opponent's one. But saying that Skyrim is "Noobish" to Oblivion is like comparing an old NES copy of Super Mario Bros to a newer version such as Mario Galaxy. Difficulty in games are questionable, since you have been in the Elder Scrolls series for a long time, compared to others out here.

I know the adventuring part of Skyrim is not as fantastic as Oblivion and in fact, its a little more bland and less cryptic than in Oblivion. But however, expecting every TES game to have everything you want is not a good way to go. Look, I was expecting the combat to be much like OB, and the UI to be in an old fashion medieval theme like in OB but instead, the combat is like a hack and slash and the UI looks rather futuristic but still, the game never failed to captivate me.

*Sigh...* Bethesda Game studios is behind the development of the game. Zenimax is the one that owns Bethesda and its game studios...
HahiHa
HahiHa
6,442 posts

Funny how certain game experiences are completely different between gamers.. for example I would contest about two thirds of everything that has been said on Skyrim in this thread :P Same would probably apply to ESO. I think it depends where you started the series. Those who started with Oblivion think it's the best yet, I think Morrowind is the best yet..

I wonder how many people that will play ESO are gamers who actually know the ES lore from previous games, and how many new players there'll be. Maybe one of the big appeal of the game is the ES theme, but I can't judge how the game appears for one who doesn't know anything of the ES lore.

blk2860
blk2860
10,793 posts

To tell you the truth I think Oblivion was MUCH better than Skyrim. Storywise anyway. I like Dualwielding though, It's really annoying that your spells take up a slot. Anyway The graphics are better but the more realistic it gets it gets sort of boring. Another reason I prefer Oblivion is because I prefer Demon overlords to Dragons. Skyrim was also WAY too easy. I don't remember the last time I died that I hadn't just suicided off of the throat of the World cause I got bored. The guilds in Oblivion are better too. The Shouts are pretty cool though. Oblivion like I said was more of a challenge, Especially since armor broke, I remember the good old days when I carried 50 something hammers with me all the time. I liked spell making which Skyrim doesn't have and the quests were better. Overencumberance doesn't keep you from getting to town in Skyrim though which was sort of beneficial.

Back to the main topic, The Elder Scrolls Online should be really fun since it will be the first ES thing where you can adventure with actual people. Also it sounds like it will be more difficult then Skyrim, as well as you can go through all of Tamriel. It also seems to be that the factions will be fun, simply because there's many people to help you. It seems to be that it has good story, and the phasing sounds cool.

partydevil
partydevil
5,299 posts

To me at least. Thus merely ES-themed, and not an actual TES game.

i'm completely whit you on this.

i wont play the game anyway. i just dont have the time to play a mmo.
Besch
Besch
45 posts

MMOGs consume your time. If you dont play a minimum time you wont get anywhere ingame. And considering Beth will not charge monthy costs (dont know for sure) they will go with "PayToWin"-concept.

Another no-go: You can only access portions of lands owned by your fraction. So much for their promise "Quest through all parts of Tamriel..."

Showing 1-15 of 19