Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Consciousness

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 4:53pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,948 posts

Knight

Like you "being" you. Essentially just controlling everything you do and controlling your body.

That definition would essentially be the brain, both conscious and unconscious nervous systems. I doubt that's what you meant.

How come you are "you" and not some other person.

I am who I am because of what I physically am, namely the unique genotype and phenotype resulting from genes and environment ("nature and nurture"). That's why I am not somebody else.

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 5:33pm

blk2860

blk2860

3,686 posts

I am who I am because of what I physically am, namely the unique genotype and phenotype resulting from genes and environment ("nature and nurture"). That's why I am not somebody else.

I mean why are you in your body and not someone else's. And I don't mean physically either.

That definition would essentially be the brain, both conscious and unconscious nervous systems. I doubt that's what you meant.

No, I mean being aware. Not to turn this religious but the Soul, or maybe something else (btw I don't believe souls are religious) It's really difficult to explain, I honestly doubt we're just a brain. Basically how do "you" control the brain.

Which brings me to another question. How come you can't control the thoughts you're thinking?

Also when you're thinking about something there's a picture on your mind but when you try to concentrate on the picture it's gone. Why is this?

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 6:26pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,667 posts

Knight

I mean why are you in your body and not someone else's. And I don't mean physically either.

Considering our physical makeup along with our gathered experience is what makes up who we are i don't see how that question makes any sense.

That's like asking why your eyes aren't in someone else's head and not mean it physically.

Basically how do "you" control the brain.

Try thinking of consciousness like an image on a computer screen. The image you see is an emergent property of the of each pixel in a certain order. Our the various functions of our brain are like those individual pixels. Alone thy don't make up the consciousness (the picture) but together they do.

Also when you're thinking about something there's a picture on your mind but when you try to concentrate on the picture it's gone. Why is this?

I don't have this issue.

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 5:41am

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,948 posts

Knight

As Mage, I don't see much point behind that question. It is flawed as you automatically assume there's more behind the physical selves. My point was exactly that there isn't, and doesn't need to be to explain consciousness.

Reply to Consciousness

You must be logged in to post a reply!