ForumsArt, Music, and WritingContest Discussion

23 10841
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I have written up a rather long post that will be broken into two or three parts. The first part is below. The other part(s) will be posted at a later date. This is open discussion pertaining to the Haiku Contest and Poetry Contest. The Art Skills Competition may also weigh in where relevant.

Let's get the innocuous out off the way. The following are hopefully uncontroversial proposed changes that should be easy to implement.

[HAIKU][POETRY] Retire the kilopost threads. Start a new thread each year with up-to-date rules and keep the content fresher. This means the threads will be done at the end of this year and a new thread will take its place. This deals with the problem of outdated rules and permanent rule changes in the middle of the thread.
[HAIKU] Create a new account to store winning entries to the Haiku Competition.
[POETRY] Reopen _Poetry_ or create new account to store winning entries of the Poetry Competition. I'm leaning toward opening a new account, because _Poetry_ is affected by the underscore glitch.

• 23 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

So is this actually up for discussion or is it more of, hey I am going to do this and tell you guys about it?

I like the idea of having a new thread every year with the up to date rules and stuff. I don't really understand the logic behind the accounts for storing the winners.

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,390 posts
Blacksmith

Am I not understanding or something? What is this thread for?
Please, Gantic? Can you explain again? >< Please?

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I'll let David Bowie explain it during his Ziggy Stardust phase.

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,390 posts
Blacksmith

OMG!!! ROFL!!
----
---
Ahem.
I get your point. I will wait patiently and quietly while you work on the next half of your afore mentioned post.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I like the idea of having a new thread every year with the up to date rules and stuff.

Agreed. The rules are VERYYY old and could use a changing once and a while ;P

Create a new account to store winning entries to the Haiku Competition.

There already is... here

I think it is owned by EmperorPalpatine...
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

@murasaki9 Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes! Turn and face the strange ch-ch-changes! and this is open discussion on said changes.
@xXxDAPRO89xXx How about one with open comments where the writers of the winner entry can post their own winning entry, if that can be arranged.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Isn't the problem with open comments that some one will constantly have to be monitoring them to ensure that they aren't bogged down by spam? I do agree that using the comments section would be far more efficient, I just don't know how well it could be accomplished.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

But the question is, who will bell the cat? Or rather, who will make the new thread(s)?

Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

I advocate the opening of a dedicated poetry contest account, but not the retirement of the traditional thread. The rules since the current thread's establishment (which was itself a new thread after two contest cycles) have not changed since they were passed down from Ubertuna:

It must fit the week's theme.
It must be submitted by the deadline.
It cannot have inappropriate language in it.
It cannot be stolen (if you plagiarize, we will find you).

Also:

The poem must be created for this contest
A user cannot win two weeks in a row (though everyone is welcome to submit every week!)
Only one submission per user will be accepted

As we all know, the winner will recieve a merit, and their poem will be featured on the _Poetry_ page.

Of these rules, nothing has changed, except the death of the __Poetry__ account and the current refusal to award merits (which I hope will be remedied soon). There is no evidence of "outdated rules and permanent rule changes in the middle of the thread" here.

At least, if a new thread is created, it must not only contain the rules but also links to all previous poetry contest threads.
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

Seems like a relatively decent idea, new threads may revive the contests themselves, anyway.

some one will constantly have to be monitoring them to ensure that they aren't bogged down by spam

Is it possible several users would be allowed access the account to delete irrelevant comments?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

How about one with open comments where the writers of the winner entry can post their own winning entry, if that can be arranged.

I could open the comments for that, but then there's some problems.

1. No edit feature. If they post it wrong (typo, format, etc) either it stays or they repost it.

2. Lack of participation. People might be busy, without power, or dead and not be able to post, even if they really want to. I'd rather have a full list than one where just a few enter.

3. Spam. If this thing takes off, I don't want it cluttered with false-entries and 'hi'.

Keeping it in the About covers all of these.

Is it possible several users would be allowed access the account to delete irrelevant comments?

acmed, dudeguy45, and I had equal access to the HCW account as a contingency plan, so that's possible.
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

No edit feature

You could delete the comment.

Lack of participation.

In the contests themselves or people posting on the profiles?
If the latter; I think if someone won a contest/round they would be able to post their winning entry on the page the first few days after the contest.

Spam.

It's almost a given that it would happen at some point or another, hence why many users having the ability to delete comments off it might solve that.

Keeping it in the About covers all of these.

If I was to click on the HCW account and there was 20 haiku's in the about, I probably wouldn't read them whereas if they were posted as comments individually I would read them.
Maybe that's just me.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Or the X most recent haikus could be posted. Then the about isn't freakishly long, and a link can be given to a page detailing the winners in full.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

That could work too, but if merits ever were to be awarded again using the comments to merit them would be pretty handy.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

But a user has always had to notify a mod about needing to recieve a merit, and so ussualy that comment gets the merit. Thats how it worked in the past, at least.

Showing 1-15 of 23