Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

Contest Discussion

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 3:29am

GhostOfHorror

GhostOfHorror

801 posts

Seems like a relatively decent idea, new threads may revive the contests themselves, anyway.

some one will constantly have to be monitoring them to ensure that they aren't bogged down by spam

Is it possible several users would be allowed access the account to delete irrelevant comments?

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 1:12pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,977 posts

How about one with open comments where the writers of the winner entry can post their own winning entry, if that can be arranged.

I could open the comments for that, but then there's some problems.

1. No edit feature. If they post it wrong (typo, format, etc) either it stays or they repost it.

2. Lack of participation. People might be busy, without power, or dead and not be able to post, even if they really want to. I'd rather have a full list than one where just a few enter.

3. Spam. If this thing takes off, I don't want it cluttered with false-entries and 'hi'.

Keeping it in the About covers all of these.

Is it possible several users would be allowed access the account to delete irrelevant comments?

acmed, dudeguy45, and I had equal access to the HCW account as a contingency plan, so that's possible.

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 6:00pm

GhostOfHorror

GhostOfHorror

801 posts

No edit feature

You could delete the comment.

Lack of participation.

In the contests themselves or people posting on the profiles?
If the latter; I think if someone won a contest/round they would be able to post their winning entry on the page the first few days after the contest.

Spam.

It's almost a given that it would happen at some point or another, hence why many users having the ability to delete comments off it might solve that.

Keeping it in the About covers all of these.

If I was to click on the HCW account and there was 20 haiku's in the about, I probably wouldn't read them whereas if they were posted as comments individually I would read them.
Maybe that's just me.

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 6:08pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

Or the X most recent haikus could be posted. Then the about isn't freakishly long, and a link can be given to a page detailing the winners in full.

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 6:11pm

GhostOfHorror

GhostOfHorror

801 posts

That could work too, but if merits ever were to be awarded again using the comments to merit them would be pretty handy.

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 6:20pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

But a user has always had to notify a mod about needing to recieve a merit, and so ussualy that comment gets the merit. Thats how it worked in the past, at least.

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 7:10pm

xXxDAPRO89xXx

xXxDAPRO89xXx

3,549 posts

@Gantic
It's not my account... ;P It beloings to EmperorPalpitine...

Posted Nov 22, '12 at 3:17am

GhostOfHorror

GhostOfHorror

801 posts

Yeah, but, if the mods knew that every winner was going to post on that account, they could merit them on that account.

Posted Nov 22, '12 at 1:07pm

Gantic

Gantic

6,838 posts

Re: Winner Account
1.) You guys are way overestimating the usage of accounts that do not post, comment, or otherwise interact with the community. It's easy to deal with. No account is as bad as the game comments unless that account is also responding. It's not an admin's account and it's not a popular game dev's account. Mod accounts don't even get that many comments.

2.) You can't get a merit if it's not a comment.

3.) _Poetry_ worked.

Re: New Thread
1.) It's not important right now who creates the thread if we can't get consensus for a new one or conditional consensus. It's going to be whoever created the original thread, or in the absence of creator, the current judge.

2.) For Poetry Contest, it's more outdated information than rules. It's not a theme of the week anymore. No one's used _Poetry_ since DragonMistress was judge. And there isn't a way to edit posts. So are people for opening a new account or reopening _Poetry_, which can be affected by the underscore glitch, which may be an acceptable risk?

Re: Merits
1.) To be discussed after the next part.

Posted Nov 22, '12 at 2:11pm

GhostOfHorror

GhostOfHorror

801 posts

I'd say it would be better to create a new _Poetry_ account.
New thread, new account, yknow.

Reply to Contest Discussion

You must be logged in to post a reply!