Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Ghosts/Can atheists believe in them?

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 2:42am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,238 posts

So..I'm sure this was once a thread...but I haven't seen it at all recently so I don't want o go looking for the possible previous one

Do you believe in ghosts? Why or why not? etc

"But pang..why is this in WEPR? This should go in The Tavern!"
Don't worry..I gots this covered..

Do you believe ghosts, if they were real, would be valid proof that there is an afterlife as believed by many religions? (which, I'm sure if you go deep enough, would eventually become a "does god exist argument"...but that isn't the question...so...yeah)

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 2:47am

Devoidless

Devoidless

3,553 posts

You...you!

I was going to make this same sorta of thread -right now-, but more along the lines of if someone can be atheist but still believe in ghosts. So, um, mind if we kinda merge the two together?

With your permission, I'd just add to the title '/Can atheists believe in them?"
I just do not want two ghost threads going at the same time, detracting from the conversation on one another.

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 3:49am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,667 posts

Knight

Do you believe in ghosts? Why or why not?

No, because I don't believe we have a dualistic existence. All the evidence we have currently points to our consciousness, our being  as being the result of elector chemical interactions in the brain.

but more along the lines of if someone can be atheist but still believe in ghosts.

Yes atheists can believe in ghosts. The only defining factor to be an atheist is to lack belief in a deity, a god. This doesn't discount ghosts, bigfoot, the loch ness monster, UFOs, astra projection, ESP or the theory of Atlantis. So if you are a god, than no...

And of course I wasn't watching Ghostbusters for the umteenth million time. What ever would give you that idea?

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 12:01pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,957 posts

Knight

No, because I don't believe we have a dualistic existence. All the evidence we have currently points to our consciousness, our being  as being the result of elector chemical interactions in the brain.

^this.

Do you believe ghosts, if they were real, would be valid proof that there is an afterlife as believed by many religions? (which, I'm sure if you go deep enough, would eventually become a "does god exist argument"...but that isn't the question...so...yeah)

If ghosts existed, that would merely evidence that we possess some kind of soul that parts from the body after death, so an afterlife in a more vague definition and not e.g. a specific place. Ghosts would actually be quite a sting in the side of the church, as pontifical organs, as far as I know, have always banned belief in ghosts, witches etc. as pagan heresy (inquisitions, among others, being mostly separate organs).

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 12:10pm

GhostOfHorror

GhostOfHorror

801 posts

Do you believe in ghosts?

Yeah.
Maybe not them in physical presence more to a hologram but I do believe that they're real.
Sometimes, you can also feel an energy around you, someone else's presence and whatnot.

if they were real, would be valid proof that there is an afterlife

An afterlife?
I'm not too sure.
I'd like to believe there is an afterlife, that when we die we're not just buried in the ground, cremated and left in an urn and other means of dying.
However, as far as I realistically think, I'd question the fact of an afterlife.

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 4:21pm

xXxDAPRO89xXx

xXxDAPRO89xXx

3,549 posts

Do you believe in ghosts? Why or why not?

No. How would ghosts be real? Spirits that can do things with real materials in real-time... Definetly not real.

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 4:59pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,957 posts

Knight

@GhostOfHorror, how do you reconcile your two statements? To me they sound conflictive, unless you say that ghosts are entities of non-human origin (are not dead people as they are usually described).

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 5:08pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,238 posts

So, um, mind if we kinda merge the two together?

Go right ahead! Had I not made this in the middle of the night I probably would have added something in the OP along those lines haha

So...for what others see as "evidence"..what do you say of those?
For example - a personal experience of watching what would be considered ghostly activites

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 5:23pm

ProfessorOak

ProfessorOak

778 posts

How would ghosts be real?

How are you real? In reply to the thread, it really depends on my definition of a ghost. I don't believe in generic ghosts simply because I haven't been given a reason to believe.

For example - a personal experience of watching what would be considered ghostly activities

I would think the only reason they believe it is ghost activity is because they have been exposed to the thought of ghosts. If nobody ever introduced the fun thought of spirits walking among us, no one would ever report about them. It's all in their head, either for attention, or because they're very gullible.

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 5:26pm

blk2860

blk2860

3,686 posts

Not only do I believe in ghosts, I've Seen Ghosts. I've even been haunted before. Ghosts DO exist. I believe that ghosts are souls that haven't ascended to heaven because they haven't tied up all there loose ends or, in other words have something they haven't done in life.

Reply to Ghosts/Can atheists believe in them?

You must be logged in to post a reply!