ForumsThe TavernGrammar Nazi

24 2147
blk2860
blk2860
10,795 posts

Who here is a grammar Nazi? I can't stand it when people butcher the English language online. Who else is a grammar nazi?

http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Grammar_3f87c0_1584628.gif

• 24 Replies
ironblade41
ironblade41
530 posts

Me are some grammar nazis! Just kidding. I am a grammar Nazi, too. Come to think of it, I'm less of a grammar nazi and more of a grammar democratic republican.

light_chaser
light_chaser
1,092 posts

beeng grummur nuzi r kewl.

haha, just kidding, I could be classified as a grammar nazi, it ticks me off when I see the crap that people post nowadays.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
900 posts

To be honest, I rarely point out anyone's grammatical or spelling errors on here, since I'm sure I make quite a few myself.

However, if I'm in a Kong chatroom and someone comes in with terrible grammar trying to troll I usually just do something like.

you're*
their*

And so forth, just to try annoy them, otherwise I never really do it.

zonic98
zonic98
554 posts

you're * is the one I would like to nazi everyone about.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,887 posts

Grammatik Macht Frei!

Your/You're and There/Their/They're and Whos/Who's and It/It's are the only ones I really care about personally. Though I only really watch myself for mistakes than go around and correct everyone elses.

Is it just me, or has this thread made me really self-concious about my grammar? I think I've gone through and triple checked everything and I'm still not sure... :/

daleks
daleks
3,840 posts

My mom is more of a grammar Nazi then I am. Or is it than? I always get those confused. I do however piss people off. People will ask me if I can do something and I will reply that I CAN. The smart ones then know that I want them to use the word will. The dumb ones just stare blankly at me.

Also my English teacher said that you have to read the book to do good on the test. I wanted to walk out right then. It is do well! Come on! You are an English teacher.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
440 posts

I think I've gone through and triple checked everything and I'm still not sure... :/

Comma between independent clauses linked by a conjunction.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,871 posts

You even cares about dis... Its online... U guys r crazy to care.

Jk... I try to not completely mess it up but... For example aspostrophes don't matter to me when I'm on the Internet. Or capitalizing i.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,176 posts

Würden Sie nicht haben, werden Deutsch sprechen eine korrekte Grammatik Nazi sein?

I know this is an English ONLY forum, so here's what I typed into Google Translate.

Wouldn't you have to be speaking German to be a proper grammar nazi?

~~~Darth Caedus
Cenere
Cenere
14,008 posts

My mom is more of a grammar Nazi then I am. Or is it than?

Than. Then is time/progression, than is comparative.

People will ask me if I can do something and I will reply that I CAN.

I hate when people do that. Hate. I don't care that it is more grammatically correct or anything, you know what I am asking of you, if I have to change what I am saying just to please you, I will go do stuff myself.
Same with the can/may thing, it's just... Frustrating and humiliating to be put through those trials just because of words.

That said, obviously I am not classified as a grammar Nazi. I don't care for the way some people write either, either with the chat speak or confusing homonyms, it may be annoying to look at, but I do find it petty to go correct them. More so, if it occurs in a discussion or during something serious.
In discussions it just seems like you are throwing ad hominem at the opponent instead of debating them, and if it's a serious situation, well... Imagine this:
"Oh God, my parents were in an accident! I have to go see them, I hope there alright!"
"*they are"
I am pretty sure that is the first example in the book of 'How to be a ****** on the internet'.

Another fine reason is that people might not catch the mistakes themselves, and are thus humiliated once again, because some people are idiots that wants to point out small mistakes.
Besides, consider the one day where you are having a brain fart and mess this up.

I tend to refer to theOatmeal's comics on the matter, if I need to refer to anything. I often have to, as I mess up pretty badly sometimes because English is a hard language and my sentences are long and complex.
I also abuse commas because the English comma rule sucks butt.
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
531 posts

I think the whole concept of "Grammar Nazi" is completely stupid. If their willing to put the time and effort to correct a random word, then it is there fault that they don't like how it is spelled. Who seriously cares? Another thing that really annoys me is that the people sending these messages might just be 12 years old and I think the last thing they care about is if there words are wrong. Seriously, if you go over they're to another forum you will see what I mean when the whole forum is filled with "*They're" and you see 10 people that post within about a minute about the small errors in someones post.

If they decide to not worry about it, than it is not your job to make sure there "They're", "There" and "Their"s are used correctly.

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
531 posts

I think the whole concept of "Grammar Nazi" is completely stupid. If their willing to put the time and effort to correct a random word, then it is there fault that they don't like how it is spelled. Who seriously cares? Another thing that really annoys me is that the people sending these messages might just be 12 years old and I think the last thing they care about is if there words are wrong. Seriously, if you go over they're to another forum you will see what I mean when the whole forum is filled with "*They're" and you see 10 people that post within about a minute about the small errors in someones post.

If they decide to not worry about it, than it is not your job to make sure there "They're", "There" and "Their"s are used correctly.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,335 posts

The OP's image failed.

Now for something on-topic:

I always try to post in proper grammar, but I find it wrong to correct other people's grammar.

Wouldn't you have to be speaking German to be a proper grammar nazi?

Grammar Nazi refers to someone who corrects other people's grammar. Some people mistakenly believe that simply having good grammar makes one a grammar Nazi. Here's my opinion on that belief in image form:

http://t.qkme.me/3rv0b2.jpg
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,335 posts

Seriously, if you go over they're to another forum you will see what I mean when the whole forum is filled with "*They're" and you see 10 people that post within about a minute about the small errors in someones post.

Did you intentionally use the wrong form to make a point? Correcting your error would be hypocritical, but I'm just wondering.
HahiHa
HahiHa
6,409 posts

Würden Sie nicht haben, werden Deutsch sprechen eine korrekte Grammatik Nazi sein?

Fail. Google translations are one of the sources of horror for grammar nazis :P

(*Müssten Sie nicht Deutsch reden, um ein richtiger Grammatik-Nazi zu sein?)

I'm not really a grammar nazi but I hate it when people make the same blatant mistake over and over. Though sometimes I'm not sure if Apple autocorrect is to blame or not, since I don't know from where they wrote..
Showing 1-15 of 24