ForumsNews and FeedbackWe need a help wanted/looking for helpers/looking for project forum

6 2979
alphabetsoup314
alphabetsoup314
11 posts
Peasant

No, I'm not talking about 'Help me with this issue' kind of help wanted.

I mean, a forum to go to if someone is working on a project and they need an extra programmer/artist/writer/voice actor/whatever. Or if someone has skills that they would like to lend to a project, but don't know of any projects and so they advertise their skills.

I see this sort of thing on places like indiedb or Newgrounds, but I haven't seen it here after a bit of searching. I think it would help foster a stronger community on AG by bringing people with different skill sets together to help each other.

If there is some reason why this isn't implemented, perhaps someone could enlighten me. I only came to the forum see if there was a project that could use voice actors, and I'm kinda new to the forum, so I shall use that as my excuse for lack of knowledge.

• 6 Replies
toprichieboy
toprichieboy
82 posts
Nomad

Um, wouldn't that be under programmer section?

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

Not really, considering it is a suggestion and it also involves writers.

As far as the idea goes, it seems quite good, we don't have an actual process/thread where people post what they're qualified in/capable of doing and offering their services.
It could be quite a good idea.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

If someone needs a programmer/writer, they can post in the Programming/AMW. It's been done in the past, and it works (sort of). The problem lies in that the vast majority of users have little to no knowledge about game production, and theres other websites that an individual can use to get dedicated support for game production outside of the casual dabbler.

In short, theres far better places this can be done outside of AG.

alphabetsoup314
alphabetsoup314
11 posts
Peasant

In short, theres far better places this can be done outside of AG.

But is there a reason why AG can't become one of those places? I mean, it has games that start off hosted here; why wouldn't there be some talented individuals willing to work together? Even on Newgrounds, the majority of users are just there to play games, but that doesn't stop them from having a help wanted thread.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

But you forget, this isn't Newsgrounds. Theres already a section for programming; you'll note that theres an entire months worth of posts on the first page. There isn't enough demand, IE active users, to justify making an entirely new forum for something as niche as a help wanted. An individual can post in the Programming section, or in the AMW. I works. I just don't see how theres a problem with the current system when there is so very little demand for this, and far better places to do this than here.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Maybe... some changes can be made to The Forge (Programming Forum and Art, Music & Writing Forum) for the (near) future in terms of having a place to gather the artistic and technical persons, but I think it works for now, that is... there still isn't much happening there at the moment, but it is the place to go to for what you suggest. =)

So if someone has a great idea/story for a game, wants to lend his artistic skills for a game, made some killer music for a game or wants to start developing a game, they can all make a thread about it in one of the two exsisting forums right now.
All that needs to be done is get more people aware of this and willing to participate in it. And that's something Salvidian (for one) is trying to accomplish as his (sort of) pet project right now. Kudoos to him!

Showing 1-6 of 6