ForumsNews and FeedbackGIF Armatars

39 10210
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Is it possible that sometime in the future armatars could be GIFs? Anyone else like this idea?

• 39 Replies
ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

I like that idea! I kinda doubt it'll happen, though.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I believe this has already been discussed in the former stickied thread about Armatar Updates... I think the option for .gif armatars has been mentioned in there along the way. =)

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I like that idea! I kinda doubt it'll happen, though.

Yeah... They've already a lot of stuff to do :P

I believe this has already been discussed in the former stickied thread about Armatar Updates... I think the option for .gif armatars has been mentioned in there along the way. =)

Oh... I didn't see that thread as it's a month old and on page 3 of the threads... x)
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Wouldn't this take up a good size of coding space? Or...something like that..

I don't know computers much...but something about lag and all that fun stuff. Get what I'm sayin?

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I don't know computers much...but something about lag and all that fun stuff.

You mean like before the little status dots worked?
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I think pang means in general... there would be a lot more lagging (especially in the forums) when you would have to load a page with .gif armatars instead of the .png ones, especially the more extensive ones with photo quality. At least that's my belief on the matter... =)

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I think pang means in general... there would be a lot more lagging (especially in the forums) when you would have to load a page with .gif armatars instead of the .png ones, especially the more extensive ones with photo quality. At least that's my belief on the matter... =)

Bingo...and I don't see the point in 'em either. They don't serve any purpose other than to be flashy and "hey look at me!" like
AnimalSpade
AnimalSpade
3 posts
Nomad

If it's 1000+ AP, i support.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I don't see why an avatar/armatar should be animated. Personally I don't like the idea and am sure it would be rather irritating to have half the page moving in all directions. As mentioned it would also make things more laggy, and finally it would take the wind out of the sails of those who want signatures.. I don't think signatures have a good chance either but you can't have both, or we might just as well change this site to DiscoGames

Levitikys
Levitikys
6 posts
Nomad

Animated avatars on any site tend to be an eyesore and to be honest, they rarely look decent.
If the servers on the site aren't too great to start with, adding movement to the page is hardly going to improve the lag.
The current selection of avatars seem to be working well for the site anyway, it's a good trait for the site to have that all of the avatars people used are designed by members of the site especially with the Thanksgiving Avatars.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

More about this idea...
I've gone on other site forums and seen animated avatars... And the site doesn't lag.
Also, if this idea is implemented I think there should an option for each user to turn them off.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

I think I said this on the signatures thread toom
Why bother implement something if the majority of users turn it off?

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

True... I still think this is a good idea though... ;P

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I've gone on other site forums and seen animated avatars... And the site doesn't lag.

AG has experience much more lagging than other forums, however. On top of that, other forums that have animated avatars are made specifically to be forums, so all that computer mumbo jumbo is focused on the forum...AG is flash game focused

Also, I've been on other forums with them as well...next thing I know I'm halfway down the page and have no idea what anyone has said because I've been staring at all the moving pictures
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

True that... So this idea Definetly has its ups and downs. With all the cons I'm thinking of now i think the idea isn't as good ;P

Showing 1-15 of 39