ForumsPopular MediaGood Horror Films To Watch

27 10622
spinmove
spinmove
25 posts
Nomad

I have recently found that I have a taste for watching horror and I would be interested to see what movies you can recommend. I generally watch 1-2 movies per week, usually on the weekends.

Here is a list of films I have seen in the past few months.
Bold = Favorites
Italic = Didn't Like It
Normal = Liked It

Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Saw (2004)
Halloween (1978)

Halloween 2 (1981)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984)
Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
Hostel (2005)

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Hostel 2 (2007)
Saw 2 (2005)

Wolf Creek (2005)
Black Christmas (1974)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
The Funhouse (1981)
Sleepaway Camp (1983)

Scream (1996)
The Last House on the Left (1972)
American Psycho (2000)
Friday The 13th (1980)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Based on this list what would you recommend for me?

• 27 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

A Clockwork Orange

Not horror.

You want real horror? Watch Asian horror.

All of the Ju-On films (Original version of Grudge)
The original version of The Eye
Colic
Original version of Shutter
Original version of The Ring
Original Version of One Missed Call
Imprint (Masters of Horror)

Generally any American remake of a Japanese/Thai/Korean horror film is good to go. Lots of blood, pale, twisted and absolutely horrific faces (Girl with a missing lower jaw tearing you apart?), false starts, aborted fetuses, haunting cries.

****, I'll be in the corner crying and recalling those nights.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

insidious is a good movie

I really liked it until that crap with the dreams

You want real horror? Watch Asian horror.

Or even some Asian music videos XD *looks to Dir en Grey*
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I really liked it until that crap with the dreams

They should have done more with that old woman. She was genuinely more frightening and hideous than the demon.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

They should have done more with that old woman. She was genuinely more frightening and hideous than the demon.

I liked the demon much more when he was more of an idea...like, we knew he was there with the boy, but nothing of his appearance, demeanor, etc. Heck..even when he was just that shadow-esque thing in the house with the medium he was much better

As for the old woman...I liked how there was that connection of events with the dad and son and how the dad had it happen with him as well with the old woman...maybe could've had her being what was going after the son? Throw out the dream stuff and have it the old lady was haunting/tryin to posses them for whatever reason (demonic ritual gone wrong with ancestor..old woman had very bad encounter with ancestor..etc)
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

but nothing of his appearance, demeanor, etc. Heck..even when he was just that shadow-esque thing in the house with the medium he was much better

The actual thing just look like Darth Maul on steroids. It was cherry red for god's sake.

As for the old woman...I liked how there was that connection of events with the dad and son and how the dad had it happen with him as well with the old woman...maybe could've had her being what was going after the son? Throw out the dream stuff and have it the old lady was haunting/tryin to posses them for whatever reason (demonic ritual gone wrong with ancestor..old woman had very bad encounter with ancestor..etc)

All in all, she wasn't really expanded on. A pity.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

It was cherry red for god's sake.

I'm..uhm..er..colourblind =/ so I didn't notice

All in all, she wasn't really expanded on. A pity.

On the plus side..she won

Also..found some images from the movie! Time to compare...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgmA1Uk9xf720r44lI4hAeNzjhizoxrMQOETPZNkbmghHbylFQ

vs

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3VXjQ0IvMQpHLG1MDXIcaRe5XtLVKpLkf80AZpbMmCCfPKjdZxw
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Sorry for dp...

Looking at a still image of this scene...I can tell the red more easily

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Not so hideous after all huh. The woman is a notch better.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

Ah, I forgot insidious. I thought it was an awesome movie before it showed the demon sewing while playing Tiny Tim. If the movie had kept the demon in the dhadows, it would be one of my all time favorites.

And I liked the dream sequence, besides the demon showing up. That family with the creepy smiles was effed up.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

before it showed the demon sewing while playing Tiny Tim. If the movie had kept the demon in the dhadows, it would be one of my all time favorites.

Yeah, it was pretty good up till the scene where they first made contact with the spirit world.
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

Yeah, it was pretty good up till the scene where they first made contact with the spirit world.

I actually like the spirit/dream world, but I'll agree that it didn't really fit the movie. Up until that point, the movie was a good old fashion horror film, but the spirit world changed it into a dark fantasy.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I actually like the spirit/dream world, but I'll agree that it didn't really fit the movie

I wouldn't have minded it as much as I do had it not been so rushed. We find out about the spirit/dream world and next thing we know the dad has the ability to go into it and does so instantaneously

I thought it was an awesome movie before it showed the demon sewing while playing Tiny Tim

The full demon seemed quite...goofy looking to me. I liked the first time they had Tiny Tim playing when it was the shadow (or kid shadow thing?) that was listening to it in the house
Showing 16-27 of 27