Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Are we not alone?

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 1:59pm

blk2860

blk2860

3,686 posts

Aliens. Do they exist? I have seen many times the light fly across the sky. It may not be a shooting star. I will personally confess I've never seen an alien. Have you? The universe is far too large for us to be the only smart creatures. I remember that a Russian space thingy had gone to the side of mars and then went black. Was there something that it wasn't supposed to see? I ask you now, what do you believe?

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 2:10pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,566 posts

There's always some alien thread going...

Here's the latest one.

Do Aliens Exist?

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 4:44pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,090 posts

I'm willing to let this thread continue the legacy. The original was basically a question then a solicitation to join a clan, while this one actually ponders the existence and, you know, asks what your opinion is. This OP is much better.

We have all the reason to believe that other species aside from us exist, since we have proven the necessary steps to show how life *can* start from once was simple chemical reactions. We might not have concrete proof that they are actually out there, but we do have the reasons to believe that they can exist, once the proper steps in the process have taken place.

So that's just proto-primitive life. If you want intelligent life, we have to accept that that other planet has been around long enough for said life to evolve to specialize in intelligence. This would take billions of years to naturally get to that point, then another tens of thousands to build the ladder of technology that they discovered/invented. This is if they have both survived nature and themselves.

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 4:58pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,942 posts

Knight

I'd like to answer this with my favourite quote on the subject:

"Life is not a miracle unique to our earth but a chemical inevitability that is also occuring elsewhere in the universe. "
- Hiroshi Yanagawa

However, I do not think there are any intelligent beings out there, and certainly no aliens in our immediate vicinity. I think all those reports on flying saucers and alien autopsy etc. are superstitious bull****. It doesn't make sense for allegedly so intelligent beings that can build all that fabulous stuff to be so stupid as to make corn circles we don't understand and randomly fly around the sky. The moment we will meet real aliens, if that ever happens, we will be certain of it. Except if they are bacterias on a possibly contaminated probe of our roboter, which is much more likely to happen :P

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 5:05pm

blk2860

blk2860

3,686 posts

However, I do not think there are any intelligent beings out there, and certainly no aliens in our immediate vicinity.

That is most likely true. But there could be some intelligent beings.

It doesn't make sense for allegedly so intelligent beings that can build all that fabulous stuff to be so stupid as to make corn circles we don't understand and randomly fly around the sky.

Think about it this way. Are some other cultures "strange"? Do we not understand their practices? Their practices may be as weird as their origins.

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 5:47pm

thepunisher93

thepunisher93

1,858 posts

Life is possible in any form.

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 6:32pm

hojoko

hojoko

556 posts

However, I do not think there are any intelligent beings out there, and certainly no aliens in our immediate vicinity.

You're probably right.

But even if there were, even if life emerged in the closest star system, I doubt we'd come into contact with them any time soon, if at all.

You have to take into account the mind-numbing vastness of space. The Alpha Centauri system--the closest star system to our own--is about 4.37 light-years away from our own (or 4.21 light-years, if you count Proxima Centauri). Travelling at 670,616,629 mph (about 1,079,252,848 kph for non-Americans), or the freakin' speed of light, it would still take over 4 years to reach Alpha Centauri from Earth. Considering that the fastest outward bound spacecraft we've launched (Voyager 1) has only just reached speeds of over 38,000 mph (or just over 61,000 kph, and about 0.00005% the speed of light) and would take more than 70,000 years to reach Alpha Centauri (assuming it was headed in the direction of Alpha Centauri, which it's not), we've a long way to go before even thinking about visiting another star-system.

So why would some extra-terrestrial intelligence spend all that time getting to Earth just to make a crop circle, or anally probe some unfortunate human? In fact, why would they come to Earth at all, which is already so far out of the way?

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 7:23pm

idigit

idigit

259 posts

Well Earth life is based upon carbon base forms. Maybe other planets' living species are based upon silicon or something like that to where it could breath something else rather than oxygen. There is a SLIGHT possibility that there are sea creatures that life on neptune's moon of europa which has an ocean under a lot of ice. That is not that far away, if we could get through all of that ice...

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 8:14pm

navysealmike

navysealmike

7 posts

There may be billions of other planets, and billions of other galaxies out there. For us to think that Earth is the only planet that can support life, has life thriving on it, and provides what it does is simply NOT scientific.

I'm not saying they're aliens, but I believe there is a planet somewhere out there just like ours, and it's people are just like our people.

Posted Nov 21, '12 at 8:26pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,566 posts

There may be billions of other planets, and billions of other galaxies out there.

Not may, are. The only question is whether there's life on any of them.

and it's people are just like our people.

That would be extremely unlikely I think. Different paths for evolution, different environments, different everything would make it far more probable that any life out there isn't going to be similar to that on Earth.

There is a SLIGHT possibility that there are sea creatures that life on neptune's moon of europa

Europa is one of Jupiter's moons, not Neptune's.

Reply to Are we not alone?

You must be logged in to post a reply!