Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Are we not alone?

Posted Nov 26, '12 at 8:03pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,677 posts

Knight

ik a reson they would come here dimonds dimonds are the rarest things ever simply becuase they only form in supernoave explosions

Higher element above iron form in supernova. Diamonds form through intense temperature and pressure. the diamonds we would normally encounter would not have been formed this way. Though white dwarfs are thought to have cores of crystallized carbon. But this is not due to them exploding but them collapsing into a White Dwarf.

Lol this is my question. Why does everyone think that if we ever encounter intelligent life the first thing they'll do is try to kill us?

Predatory animals are the ones to develop more powerful brains. So it would stand that a species that develops a brain capable of interstellar travel would have evolved from a predator. It's also possible that predatory behavior didn't go away.

Posted Nov 26, '12 at 8:23pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

Predatory animals are the ones to develop more powerful brains. So it would stand that a species that develops a brain capable of interstellar travel would have evolved from a predator. It's also possible that predatory behavior didn't go away.

I suppose. Although, I would think any species that was able to not wipe itself out with those predatory behaviors and instincts by the time they were able to achieve interstellar travel would at the very least attempt communications of some sort upon encountering life.

Posted Nov 27, '12 at 6:52am

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

Predatory animals are the ones to develop more powerful brains.

does that mean that hyenas are getting smarter?
they used to be scavengers but are more and more often being a predator now.

Posted Nov 27, '12 at 2:16pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,032 posts

Knight

does that mean that hyenas are getting smarter?
they used to be scavengers but are more and more often being a predator now.

They live in packs, right? Animals with increased social interactions usually are "smarter". Besides, there is no true scavenger-only animal as far as I know, at least not among mammals.

It's true that someone said once herbivores usually lead into evolutionary impasses. But can we apply the earthern eating behaviour qualifications on ecosystems we don't know?

Posted Nov 27, '12 at 4:13pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,677 posts

Knight

I suppose. Although, I would think any species that was able to not wipe itself out with those predatory behaviors and instincts by the time they were able to achieve interstellar travel would at the very least attempt communications of some sort upon encountering life.

If they were only interested in gathering resources why bother?

But can we apply the earthern eating behaviour qualifications on ecosystems we don't know?

There is a degree of uncertainty, though we do see trends in each isolated system on the planet. This could give us at least a basic idea of what could happen else ware.

Posted Nov 27, '12 at 4:44pm

blk2860

blk2860

3,686 posts

There is a degree of uncertainty, though we do see trends in each isolated system on the planet. This could give us at least a basic idea of what could happen else ware.

Essentially we get the general idea of what other unknown ecosystems might be. It may be like Earth. But then again it could be so odd it could spontaneously combust our minds. Anyway back on topic Aliens could be similar to animals here. We have no idea how other creatures on other planets could have developed.

ik a reson they would come here dimonds dimonds are the rarest things ever simply becuase they only form in supernoave explosions

Are you serious? That is completely false, Diamonds are formed by a pyramid of carbon atoms. (I believe it was carbon anyway)

But look at us. We don't have predatory instincts. (Of course there are cannibals...) Then Again we may just have a more advanced form of predatory behavior. We kill cows and pigs to eat them, Of course we eat fruits and vegetables as well but still.

Posted Nov 27, '12 at 5:12pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

there is no true scavenger-only animal as far as I know, at least not among mammals.

mice? i couldn't find anything about their hunting behavior.

Posted Nov 27, '12 at 5:51pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,032 posts

Knight

Even isolated systems stem from the same ancestor populations, though. But I guess we can make guesses at least :P

Anyway back on topic Aliens could be similar to animals here. We have no idea how other creatures on other planets could have developed.

I hear many people saying alien life doesn't have to be based on the same principle, maybe some energetic beings and stuff like that. But when we're talking about life as we define it here on earth, then yes, there will be similarities indeed, The question is how many.

But look at us. We don't have predatory instincts. (Of course there are cannibals...) Then Again we may just have a more advanced form of predatory behavior. We kill cows and pigs to eat them, Of course we eat fruits and vegetables as well but still.

Our ancestors hunted for meat. Nuff said.

mice? i couldn't find anything about their hunting behavior.

Sorry, by scavenger I meant carrion-eaters. No mammal eats exclusively carrion, they all hunt to some degree.

Posted Nov 27, '12 at 8:34pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

Our ancestors hunted for meat. Nuff said.

some still do.

Sorry, by scavenger I meant carrion-eaters. No mammal eats exclusively carrion, they all hunt to some degree.

i c, well if the vultures doesn't count. i guess your right.

Posted Nov 27, '12 at 9:17pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,977 posts

well if the vultures doesn't count

Bird =/= mammal

But then again it could be so odd it could spontaneously combust our minds.

Look at the diversity of the ocean. I doubt we'll find stranger things on other planets. Example.

Reply to Are we not alone?

You must be logged in to post a reply!