Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Are we not alone?

Posted Nov 27, '12 at 10:11pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,119 posts

Bird =/= mammal

i know. but i dunno what it actually matters in this case.

Posted Nov 28, '12 at 2:13am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,776 posts

Knight

Essentially we get the general idea of what other unknown ecosystems might be.

Yes that's exactly what I was saying.

But then again it could be so odd it could spontaneously combust our minds.

Don't think I would go that far. Though when it comes to space exploration true often ends up being stranger than fiction.

Anyway back on topic Aliens could be similar to animals here. We have no idea how other creatures on other planets could have developed.

Yes and no. We do have a grasp on the chemicals that make up life here and we can observe how these chemicals behave under certain conditions. We can also observe how other chemicals behave. As result we can make predictions based on this of what the basic starting point for life might be like on another planet and what those basic starting condition might be like as well. From there we can start predicting the different scenarios of how that life and the planet could evolve over time.

For instance we find a planet around a G-type star (like our own) an it's about the same distance from it's star as ours. From this we can determine that it's possible to have liquid water on this planet and that carbon based life would be the likely form of life on this planet. We can also figure how life might be depending on the size of the planet. This would have an impact on the weather and the gravity, both of which would affect the evolution of life there. There are of course many unknown factors. For instance this planet has n abundance of oxygen due to the development of planets. Perhaps life on this Earth like planet uses different gases. Or maybe they developed added features to better withstand living in an environment with much higher oxygen than our own.

But look at us. We don't have predatory instincts. (Of course there are cannibals...) Then Again we may just have a more advanced form of predatory behavior. We kill cows and pigs to eat them, Of course we eat fruits and vegetables as well but still.

Ever go hunting? We evolved from a species of hunter gathers. Just because we are omnivorous doesn't mean we weren't a form of predator. Early on the development of our brains was likely largely impart to to us developing the ability to eat meat.

Just for a few examples many species of bear are also omnivorous, piranha are omnivorous, coyotes and dingoes are omnivorous as well though they do prefer meat. Would you say those species are not predators?

Posted Nov 30, '12 at 5:52pm

Jumpper

Jumpper

227 posts

I believe aliens are real but the universe is so large that we will never meet any.

Posted Nov 30, '12 at 6:53pm

yourawesomeness

yourawesomeness

118 posts

i agree with Jumper. or we will find something very simple, such as bacteria

Posted Nov 30, '12 at 10:33pm

BurnKush420

BurnKush420

103 posts

im pretty sure there is intelligent life beyond our planet, i honestly think it would be silly to think otherwise simply because our universe is hugely enormous and to think that a little spec in the universe is the only place with intelligent life, well to me that is just illogical

Posted Dec 1, '12 at 6:17am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,257 posts

Knight

I think the problem is that intelligent societies like we have it isn't necessarily the best thing to evolve. Our ancestors lived in circumstances with predispositions that forced us to evolve a bigger brain etc. But it took life very long to come up with something like that; even though most bigger mammals are quite intelligent. And don't forget how successful animals like ants or jellyfishes are, without any individual intelligence. Even today, many people see us as "crown of creation/evolution", but that's simply not true. I'm sure there is life on other habitable planets, but convinced that we will find organisms quite different, and unintelligent, compared to us.

Posted Dec 1, '12 at 3:43pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,776 posts

Knight

This probably could have it's own thread but I just wanted to get it out there and it's almost related to this thread.

Evidence for Water Ice and Organic Compounds on Mercury!

Given we are likely detecting complex organic compounds I have to wonder of the possibility of basic forms of life.

Posted Dec 1, '12 at 6:10pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,257 posts

Knight

Given we are likely detecting complex organic compounds I have to wonder of the possibility of basic forms of life.

They say the ice may have come there by meteorites, same probably applies to the organic compounds. I doubt life can develop in ice though.

Reply to Are we not alone?

You must be logged in to post a reply!