ForumsPopular MediaAny punk/ska fans here? Help me...

9 4508
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Recently after going back and finding out (Finally) the name of a couple of songs I was opened up to a whole new genre of music that I never really looked at before.

So if there are any ska fans here, can you help me out? I'm trying to find some music to add to my collection and finding good ska is kind of a hard thing to do. (Or maybe I'm just stupid)

I'm probably just stupid. >.

• 9 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

a brief history of ska
the video doesn't include what asians, spanish and russians have done whit the music. and focuses only on the english part.
there are many different sorts of ska. i'm going to list a great bounce of bands from all the different types. so you can check it out.

-aquabats
-fishbone
-five iron frenzy
-ska-p
-The Blues Busters
-OreSkaBand
-Voodoo Glow Skulls
-Skarface
-blue meanies
-leningrad
-the busters
-Put3ska
-skatalites
-New York Ska Jazz Ensemble
-the specials
-The Trojans
-skalariak
-Mongol800
-babylon circus
-the vandals
-catch 22 / streetlight manifesto (changed name but same band)
-Kemuri
-The Planet Smashers
-Propagandhi
-goldfinger
-tokyo ska paradise orchestra
-jackie mittoo
-judge dread (18+)
-no doubt
-skankin' pickle
-the mighty mighty bosstones
-manu chao
-bad manners

i could go on for hours. but i think you get a good grasp on the genre whit this. enjoy ^^
(if your looking more in the way of punk, let me know i got some more )

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Listened to all of them (only the one song you listed though) and after that these are the ones I like. The ones I comment more on are the ones I like more.

Ska-p (Liked it more than I thought I would)
Streetlight manifesto (Definitely the best song out of the ones you showed me)
ore ska band (Not understanding the lyrics is frustrating though)
Blue meanies (Like it a lot more than the original)
Leningrad (third favourite)
The busters (Was great sound, hated the singer)
The trojans (Didn't like the singer but the music was nice)
Mongol800 (Nothing to say)
The vandals (The lyrics made me laugh and the sound was awesome. Tied second favourite)
Kemuri (Was nice and I REALLY liked the music but the language barrier was annoying)
The planet smashers (Liked the singer and the feel to the music)
Propagandhi (Inside joke that I'm missing? Probably. Still found the music really good though. Fourth favourite.)
Goldfinger (The song I went back to check that introduced me in the first place. Tied at second)
Jackie Mittooo (Parts of it)
No doubt (Heard it before. It's nice but some of the other music I heard was much better than this)
Shankin pickle (The feel of the music was nice)
Mighty Mighty bosstones (Liked the feel to it and it was good just something was missing)

Judging from that list what would you say that I should go towards? More punk or more ska? Any more artists you recommend? Or should I give a second try to some of the artists that you gave me. (Look at other songs)

idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

NO NO NO NO

how did you miss some of the main ska ones??!!

Madness?!
The Untouchables?
I was relieved to see The Specials on their
come on those are great!!

you have to listen to madness! I have them on vinyl LP records. they're GREAT

idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

sorry for DP

GO SKA

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I'm about 5 seconds from smashing my face into my computer...

How could you guys forget about Reel Big Fish?!

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Can someone link the untouchables, all I see on youtube is the movie trailer.

Madness I've heard several times, so don't worry. It's not exactly what I'm looking for but I like them though.

As for reel big fish, I've only heard "Sell out" and the "Beer"

Is it just me or is all ska band videos them jumping all over the place and turning around while playing the music? That's all I've seen so far.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Ska-p (Liked it more than I thought I would)

yea they are 1 of the best spanish ska bands.

Streetlight manifesto (Definitely the best song out of the ones you showed me)

my personal favorite band. all their songs are awsome.

ore ska band (Not understanding the lyrics is frustrating though)

after some time you just dont listen to what she sings but more how it sounds whit the rest of the song. like it's just another instrument

Blue meanies (Like it a lot more than the original)

ah yea that was a cover. they also make songs themself =)

Leningrad (third favourite)

beside the language barrier it's great music right? ^^

The vandals (The lyrics made me laugh and the sound was awesome. Tied second favourite)

i got some other bands whit great but nuts lyrics. like aquabats and five iron frenzy. let me know if you want more of those.

Propagandhi (Inside joke that I'm missing? Probably. Still found the music really good though. Fourth favourite.)

they used to be a ska band but over time they made more and more punk instead of ska. so then they made this song for all the fan they stil got from their ska period.

udging from that list what would you say that I should go towards? More punk or more ska?

i think ska / ska-punk.
the more punk bands you seem to like less.

i'm at a friends house atm so i can't post more links atm. will do so when i got home and time.

how did you miss some of the main ska ones??!!

How could you guys forget about Reel Big Fish?!

random list.
reel big fish was mentioned in the 1st video tho.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

i'm still at my friend and we went over youtube selecting some more songs for you to checkout.
we also added some bands twice because of the difference in songs they make.

The suicide machines
Mad Caddies
Mad Caddies again
Spunge
Sublime
the slackers
the slackers again
dance hall crashers
five iron frenzy again
five iron frenzy (their more usual work)
Less than jake
Jaya The Cat
the piranhas
no idea where its from

laynext=1&list=PLA68CC0DF2AB8D1AA">reel big fish
Save ferris
Mephiskapheles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14-I60EUVXU
Aquabats again

just look up more stuff from the aquabats, very diverse.

these are mostly punk bands, but good fun
Rancid
Guttermouth
Mustard Plug
the vandels again
Nofx
nofx again

i'll be back for more later

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Almost every song this time I liked.

Suicide machines- No face (was expecting more punk but I was pleasantly surprised. Liked this one)
Mad caddies- Monkeys (Very upbeat feel to it. Didn't sound like ska but I still thought it was nice)
Mad caddies- Weird beard (Really liked this one and I found it sounded great. Loved the impersonations.)
Spunge-Make me happy (Reminds me of goldfinger. Maybe it's the voice or that addictive beat. Liked this one as well.)
The slackers- Rider (This one was pretty awesome but had a bit of a sad feel to it. Still found it awesome though)
The slackers- Keep it simple (Was so surprised with the difference this time. Although it was more happy I think I enjoyed rider a bit more. Still great though. Bit of an echo in the song though.)
Dance hall crashers- Cat fight (Something about this song that I like but I can't put my finger on. Nice song.)
Five iron frenzy- Giants (Like this one a lot. The creepy voice in the middle surprised me because I had my volume up. I found this one sounded nice but that voice is really creepy)
Five iron frenzy- Anthem (Liked this one a lot but the music seemed a bit shoved together at parts. Still was awesome though. Loved this one.)
Less than jake- All my best friends are metal heads (Liked this one a lot. Found everything in this song done really well.)
Jaya the cat - Drug squad (Although I liked it, a bit too metal)
The piranhas - Tom hark (Liked it but it wasn't the best out of the ones you showed me)
Nintendo ska medley (This one was pretty nice. Being a nintendo fanboy it was kind of nostalgic even)
Reel big fish- Everything sucks (This one was probably my favourite out of the new batch of music. Was really confused with the actual video clip though)
Save ferris - spam (Liked the music a lot. Although the song lyrics seemed kind of pointless it was still petty funny)
Mephiskapheles- The bumblbees (Bumblebee tuna? I was really confused bit I still loved the music of this song. I don't even know why but it sounded awesome. Couldn't help but laugh when I heard the "Just the girls" voice)
The aquabats -theme song (I liked this one more than I probably should. The first time I listened to it I really didn't find it that good but the second time through I found it was actually pretty good)
The aquabats- March (I still have the "Please don't kill us, we're still the aquabats" stuck in my head. Great song)
Rancid- The harder they come (Didn't mind them but it just isn't my style of music)
Guttermouth- Under sea (I really liked this but the lyrics made little to no sense at all)
Mustard plug- smiley (I liked this one but there was just something missing. It was still alright though.)
Vandals- I got an ape drape (haha, loved this one. The upbeat feel to it was absolutely awesome and the lyrics were hilarious)
NOFX- Best god in show (Didn't really like this one too much. It was nice but just a bit too sad for my taste)
NOFX- Seeing double at the triple rock (Didn't like this one that much either. It was alright I guess but isn't my style of music)

Now that took a while. So many good songs this time.

Showing 1-9 of 9