ForumsThe TavernHow do you define a Zombie?

46 6508
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

Ok this is something that gets to me sometimes and its how people define zombies and vampires because IMO I define a zombie as someone who has the uncontrollable urge to eat flesh this doesn't apply to cannibals because they choose to eat flesh.

I was wondering how everyone else defines a zombie because there is often arguments about this and if films like 28 days later classes as a zombie film or not let me know what you think.

• 46 Replies
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

xAyjAy, this is more of what the individual user thinks, their opinion. Not really what the wiki says... :P

letsgome_gome
letsgome_gome
752 posts
Nomad

a half dead brain eating blob of flesh

handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

I think that a zombie was originally a corpse reanimated by voodoo, and now is a reanimated corpse with the hunger for human flesh whose bite turns the bitten into a zombie.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Zombies for me are corpses animated by voodoo or other mumbo jumbo sinister dark magic. I don't consider many of the ''zombie'' flicks today about zombies. More are just about people driven to the intelligence level of a carrot, paired with the violence and rage of a hormonal Predator.

Or simply, human rabies. They're alive, but mad, bad and dangerous. Is your dog with rabies a zombie? No.

I would say corpses reanimated by diseases can to a certain extent be classified as zombies tjough.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Now, why is Africa there?

I'm surprised no one has brought this up yet...the original zombies...people that have had curses placed on them by witch doctors to make them appear as if they are dead while still being alive
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I'm surprised no one has brought this up yet...the original zombies...people that have had curses placed on them by witch doctors to make them appear as if they are dead while still being alive

Now people visualize the origin of a zombie in the dingy lab of a half crazed scientist...
Jblaze101
Jblaze101
513 posts
Peasant

I Know they are living dead which die effectively by headshot

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

What if....there actually is a zombie Apocalypse, and head shots don't work....

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Then wait for them to rot?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Then wait for them to rot?

Based on what we know from movies, that could take months. And if we're basing them on movies, it would be difficult to wait that long.

Anyone ever see Night of the Living Dead or 28 Days/Weeks Later? That's how I'd define them. The zombies in NotLD don't look that difficult to deal with, but in 28 Days/Weeks Later that'd be a nightmare.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I don't consider those ''Rage infected'' people as zombies. If it was a classic zombie, decomposition of the human body would occur really fast.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

If a zombie virus is spread physically, then a large outbreak would probably not happen. A trained army would have no problem with a horde, even the 28 Days kind.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

If it was a classic zombie, decomposition of the human body would occur really fast.

Classic zombies were in NotLD, but they didn't mention rotting. But classic zombies are also in The Walking Dead, and it takes months for them to rot.
If a zombie virus is spread physically, then a large outbreak would probably not happen. A trained army would have no problem with a horde, even the 28 Days kind.

If they are that fast with that amount of rage, it'd probably spread quickly. Imagine a few infected people in a mall of about a hundred people, it wouldn't take long for it to spread. The army in real life probably wouldn't be as incompetent as those in movies, but there's still room for error.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Classic zombies were in NotLD, but they didn't mention rotting. But classic zombies are also in The Walking Dead, and it takes months for them to rot.

It's a movie. Unless the voodoo magic does something to hold them together like the ghostly Black Pearl then they should decompose.

I don't believe a horde of zombies can take on the greatest military powers in the world, equipped with thousands of anti infantry vehicles and aircraft. It would be a significant problem in a densely populated city though.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

It's a movie.

Which makes it more fun. Taking a realistic approach for zombies is boring, they're not going to last long that way, making it pointless to talk about...
Unless the voodoo magic does something to hold them together like the ghostly Black Pearl then they should decompose.

In TWD they mentioned it's a virus, not magic.
I don't believe a horde of zombies can take on the greatest military powers in the world, equipped with thousands of anti infantry vehicles and aircraft.

How long do you think it would take them to deal with the spread? And if one of them is infected then goes back to their unit? You can't expect everyone to be honest about it, when it's shown to not have a cure and the only way is death.
Showing 16-30 of 46