ForumsThe TavernWhat the heck is wrong with oranges?

26 4161
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I'm back with a new fruit topic, now to start the questions.

Why are oranges orange? Why is their name the color? Why do they have little holes in them? Why are they called oranges why not yellows? Why is orange juice seen in every cereal commercial?

If I can think of more questions I'll put them on.

• 26 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Has anyone else noticed that mods REALLY like to be buttholes nowadays?

No, users are just too plain lazy. Take Google and lap it up man.

You're fruity and loopy.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Heard a comedian talking about the naming of oranges..can't remember exactly how it goes but I'll try my best!

1st guy: "Sir! We found this strange food..what do we name it?"
2nd guy: "Well...it's orange. So it'll be an orange!"
1st guy: *hold up carrot* "What about this?"
2nd guy: "...****. Um...pointy thing?"

Also...public announcement:
Drink apple juice, OJ kills

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

The 'holes' you mean, are oil glands that spread that nice aromatic orange scent. Thanks to Gantic I now know that the fruit was named first and the colour after it, and the other questions are rather obvious and already answered.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

The holes in them makes it easier for them to disperse heat and to absorb moisture.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

The holes in them makes it easier for them to disperse heat and to absorb moisture.

Where did ya hear that... thing?
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

New question

How do oranges grow?

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

How do oranges grow?

Like other fruits, from a part of the fertilized flower. On a tree.

Seriously, just read the wiki article, might spare us some questions.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Like I said to Gantic, I'm too lazy and I like to hear the opinions of other AG users. Plus Wikipedia can be edited to dumb and stupid information, I know because I once did it myself.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Plus Wikipedia can be edited to dumb and stupid information, I know because I once did it myself.

Exactly...right now I am editing the oranges page to say that oranges are bananas in disguise hiding from apples.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I know what you said. Too lazy to inform yourself correctly and all that misinformation stuff. Well if you're gonna ask questions, you should expect answers and not only the stupid funny ones, but also serious ones. If you don't like wikipedia, how about Britannica?

Katnip28
Katnip28
24 posts
Nomad

i think oranges have holes in them because they are too lazy to grow arms and fix it themselves. oranges are called oranges because their boring cousin the apple uncreatively nicknamed them oranges and that name stuck. oj is seen in every cereal commercial because the grape juice rebellion lost to the orange juice people, and now the orange juice people want to rub it in the grape juice's face by being on tv next to the grapes' idol, cereal.

Showing 16-26 of 26