ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Thread

26 5745
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Ive seen many random threads about science stuff. So condense all your science thoughts here. And we shall discuss.

• 26 Replies
Rhodes1013
Rhodes1013
98 posts
Nomad

yay i love science but i dont see a conversation coming out of this but if you interested this dude does a lot of cool sciencey stuff

Rhodes1013
Rhodes1013
98 posts
Nomad

ok never mind that link didnt work but the website is

Rhodes1013
Rhodes1013
98 posts
Nomad

ok you no what someone else can make a link for him because on my computer there both not working

Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

I believe you mean this.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

Science, bleh.
I've not really done too much in Science, but, what I'm doing right now is Force, Work and Power.

ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith
ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

RRRG. Minute physics -_- Vi hart Vsauce
PS:So sorry for the double post... but I messed that up pretty badly.

idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

vsauce is awesome. I love science and am working toward a (hopeful) career in astro/quantum physics.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

All you aspiring scientists need to do Intel/Siemens/ISEF.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Okay! I have a "theory"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CONVECTION EXCEPTION

So you all know how convection is how hot air moves up and cold up air moves down. But this isn't always the case... Please read =>

So my guess is that convection only applies to OPEN rooms. If you have a room that is closed off somehow from the opened air, it won't matter whether it's high or low.
For example. A garage. It is downstairs in your house and supposedly has a door. But is it always cool? No. Because the room is closed off from the other air in the house it just changes the temperature to whatever air has gone in last (from outside or a car etc)
Example two. An attic. I was at my cousin's house this past weekend and DANG it gets really hot in their upstairs... :P But i went in their attic and boom! Cold air comes rushing out. (not due to the AC) But it's also up and it was packed with stuff, but it was still much cooler than the upstairs. Then again it was closed off furthermore proving my point of the convection exception.

Thank you-
Dapro, Amateur Scientist~~

ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

I would to be some sort of engineer or a vet when I grow up. I like science because there's more hands-on... stuff to it than math or history or English. I'm a very tactile person.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

CONVECTION EXCEPTION

You formulated a hypothesis, but you forgot to explain the probable mechanics behind that apparent exception. Any guess?

Apart from that, even in closed rooms, the hotter air is above the colder (note how I didn't use absolute terms) except if something outside is influencing it, like the outside temperature or the temperature of the house (in this example) below/above the room, stuff like that.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

You formulated a hypothesis, but you forgot to explain the probable mechanics behind that apparent exception. Any guess?

Apart from that, even in closed rooms, the hotter air is above the colder (note how I didn't use absolute terms) except if something outside is influencing it, like the outside temperature or the temperature of the house (in this example) below/above the room, stuff like that.

Hmmm. It was just a hypothesis... I'm not good at explaining myself either :P
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I'm not good at explaining myself either :P

Well you best be fixing that boy...in the science community they won't except work/findings/hypothesi(?) without explanations about it

Imagine the gravitational theory being first explained and not having much explaination..*que fade/waver into thought*

"So guys..I noticed that we don't just like fall of the Earth you know? Well..I think this is 'cause the Earth has this thing called gravity keeping us on. Like..when we jump, we land back down instead of floating...etc"
Icewall42
Icewall42
34 posts
Nomad

Not just explanation, either, but science involves observing, hypothesizing, experimenting, getting repeatable results, and yet more experimentation until you've gotten the same results multiple times, and other scientists can repeat your methods and get the same results multiple times. Science is open to change, but it is highly skeptical of any new theory or observation (as it should be), and the amount of supporting data is the only thing that holds water.

Convection in particular is something I feel I understand, given that I am self-taught in marine biology, marine ecology, evolution, oceanography, and (shortly) climate science and weather patterns. I've always been very interested in science, though my schooling was in English and Library / Information Science... but then, tell me how many scientists out there can actually write for an audience :P English and Math, while on their own are pretty useless, are excellent (and very valuable) additions to science and so many other &quotractical" jobs.

Showing 1-15 of 26