Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Swearing/Cursing Unnecessary or expressive?

Posted Nov 26, '12 at 3:52pm

Rhodes1013

Rhodes1013

82 posts

Even if kids are swearing more excessively now, it's not a good reason to allow it to be unblocked. Some form of control and limitation still needs to be enforced. And it's better to block off the language capacities of a few such that it is PG for all

being a kid my self no we dont not as much as you might think we do butt as for me i dont at all even though i think it for say fuge i dont accually say the reall word

I don't mind swearing as long as its not every other word. A lot kids may swear but isn't for a good reason. I think it's best to keep putting "***" in the swear words

that is true some of my friends say it but others may say it when they get hurt really bad and just saying oww sometimes just might not cover  it but they still might not yell it out loud but then there there is still the kids who do say it all the time for no reason which i acctivly ignore

Posted Nov 26, '12 at 4:30pm

GhostOfHorror

GhostOfHorror

801 posts

Yeah, I was busy over the weekend so not much activity on my part.

Anyhow, online I rarely swear since I don't find it necessary to type swears, but in real life I do swear sometimes out of habit more so than it to express/emphasize what I'm saying.

Posted Nov 26, '12 at 4:36pm

danielo

danielo

1,378 posts

I can confess that i never cursed anyone {well, maybe only on the Internet. But that because the ywere hackers who headshot me!!!}. Ever. This is how i was rised.Even so, my brothers do curse, so its not because im coming from a "mormonic family" or anything.

I think that peoples take curses too easy. Peoples who know me know that if i will curse it will be real. It will mean something.

Posted Nov 26, '12 at 4:46pm

blk2860

blk2860

3,686 posts

I cussed when I was 7 years old, I cuss all the time and I don't say curse or swear. Anyway I believe that everyone (Even little kids) can list every swear word they know and it'll be so long you can say "Where the ******* do they hear this s**t?" Anyway On forums I put stars myself just for the he** of it.

Cussing is just expressive, in my opinion this is another kids'll do this kids'll do that. Just because a kid sees a beer doesn't mean he'll drink it.

Posted Nov 26, '12 at 4:50pm

blk2860

blk2860

3,686 posts

As for real life, get used to swearing. I swear constantly, it's a part of how I talk. Often times it adds nothing to the sentence, like A hippie saying "man" or "like" all the time (of which I'm also guilty) My point being what is the reason for them being so bad? I don't see a reason why *** can't be said instead of butt, or I can't say how ****ing sick that song was.

That's what I do too, I am also guilty of saying like all the time. I don't see what's wrong with cussing though, it's just words. There are some non swears that are worse, I cuss so much that  if I ran out of pepsi I'd sigh and say. "Aww s***"

Posted Nov 26, '12 at 8:03pm

DACMiester

DACMiester

57 posts

If there is anyone who would actually WANT to represent themselves (that is, be "expressive") with language that (depending on how often it is used) can make you sound like you're a disgruntled minor with turrets syndrome (no, I'm not trying to be funny/offensive), then I do, in all seriousness, pity you.

Not to say that someone who desires to use that language can't be a perfectly decent person. It's just that there isn't any logic in it. If you're mature, intelligent person, cursing shouldn't exactly be alien (that is to say, being human, there are times when sudden events will have such effect on us that we burst out in vanity), but it also shouldn't be common.

Posted Nov 26, '12 at 9:36pm

Balloon__Girl

Balloon__Girl

192 posts

I think swearing is completely uneccesary. I do not find really adds anymore humour than a conversation can have without swearing. I have grown up in a house in which swearing is quite strictly prohibited and most of my friends don't really swear either. I don't think swearing is going to help the situation if you are hurt, so even that is not really an excuse for me. I can tolerate it, but I don't like it.

Posted Nov 26, '12 at 10:15pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,268 posts

I do not find really adds anymore humour than a conversation can have without swearing.

I tend to be quite the humorous person...and part of my humor goes with my demeanor (which I do so purposefully). For example...stubbing your toe and holding the "sshhhh" as if you are trying to find a safer word to say but going with the "iiiitttttt" as if it is the more polite option

If you were to hang around me in real life...I would show how cursing can add humor to a situation and not be "unintelligent". I know exactly why I use a curseword and I am careful about my timing with them...my usage of them is completely thought out and prepared.

Posted Nov 26, '12 at 10:17pm

xXxDAPRO89xXx

xXxDAPRO89xXx

3,549 posts

Yes... The "help" sent out by users has decreased with the absense of Sal, GOH, and Ernie...

Also, pang has been here lol...

Posted Nov 26, '12 at 10:58pm

Balloon__Girl

Balloon__Girl

192 posts

For example...stubbing your toe

Haha I am not sure why this is the example everybody uses when trying to explain this to me. I don't find I need to hold that particular word in simply because it is not a word I use so it is not one that comes to mind for me.

I sincerely doubt I will ever have the opportunity to hang around you in real life. Sorry pang, you may do as you like with your cursing, but I shall remain not a fan. :P

Reply to Swearing/Cursing Unnecessary or expressive?

You must be logged in to post a reply!