Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Swearing/Cursing Unnecessary or expressive?

Posted Dec 2, '12 at 1:06pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

440 posts

Also, I will concede this point though: Although I don't think the use of swear words is inherently wrong, since society has assigned such strongly negative connotations to them, we've come to view them in such a way. In other words, heavy use of swearing may be indicative of certain "negative" characteristics.

Posted Dec 2, '12 at 2:19pm

PauseBreak

PauseBreak

316 posts

Swearing is completely unnecessary. Its not free-speech. Its not expressionism. Its completely rude and uncalled for.

Posted Dec 2, '12 at 6:39pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,700 posts

One of them being " thou shall not curse( something like that

I would imagine back then that curse was more "witches and demons" than dropping the f-bomb

Let me jump in instead? Maybe words that have a double meaning?

I already went over most of those a few pages back..I'll do some of yours as well with more explanation

Cracker - Term coined by black people to counter the n-word. Crackers are mostly white (saltine crackers, for example). Pretty weak phrase..not a swear or curse word, however

Nazi - Not a swear/curse word. Used incorrectly when tried to be used as such as well..used to say one person is overly strict

Q word for homosexuals - Like you pointed out...means strange/weird. How many people view homosexuality (they shouldn't..but oh well)

G word to call homosexuals - Happy/joyful. Man..what a bad word..

So once again, reiteration...normal words that have been given negative connotation

Swearing is completely unnecessary. Its not free-speech. Its not expressionism. Its completely rude and uncalled for.

Read the thread

Posted Dec 2, '12 at 6:48pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

440 posts

There are better examples, but here's a simple one: "You're a fool who'll never about to anything."

Sorry. "About" should be "amount."

Posted Dec 2, '12 at 11:09pm

xeano321

xeano321

2,969 posts

Knight

@Rayoflight

I see what you mean now... Thanks you for the clarification!

Posted Dec 3, '12 at 12:32am

Devoidless

Devoidless

3,838 posts

It really depends on the circumstances.

For instance, it has been shown that when a person swears right when they get injured the perceived pain is less than if they did not swear/say nothing.

Outside of that example, I do not see anything wrong with it. Some people abuse it and swear every other word. Which I find hilarious. XD

Posted Dec 3, '12 at 3:57am

JoshTheBoss

JoshTheBoss

420 posts

Kids need to learn their language well enough so that the word "****ing" won't be their favorite gerund.

Posted Dec 3, '12 at 11:58am

sensanaty

sensanaty

1,145 posts

Well, if you banned someone's right to swear, that would be infringement of free speech. I don't give a **** if you think swearing's childish, it's the way I speak and the way 90% of this world speaks. You'll just have to get used to it.

Its not expressionism.

Well, in the English language maybe. In Serbian, we have an entire book, written by the man that made the Serbian language as it is today, comprising of only offensive phrases/songs/words. The book's as thick as the Bible. So, yea, not every language is the same

Posted Dec 3, '12 at 10:19pm

fireangle

fireangle

182 posts

Did you know there are words in the US that seem inoccient but take on a whole other meaning in other coutries....

ex-

Bloody- in England this is cosidered a cuss word. Now you know why they say bloody Hell in Harry Potter

Stuff- in New Zealand this is equal to a F bomb. I wonder what they call a stuffed turkey or stuffing during Thanksgiving.

So really a word is only bad dependinding on the culture.

Posted Dec 4, '12 at 2:17am

PauseBreak

PauseBreak

316 posts

I don't give a **** if you think swearing's childish, it's the way I speak and the way 90% of this world speaks.

Maybe you should care what other people think. You know you doesn't care about what other people think? Honey Boo Boo and Crew, Octomom, and the likes of Lindsay Lohan. Do I need to continue the list? Do I need to explain the hot mess that they are? Or do the names credit themselves?
So if you don't want to appear as a selfish slob to everyone you meet you'll consider some proper manners. Or, if you really feel compelled to swear so much, I can only assume your parents failed you in how to act like a functioning member of society.

Actually, its not 90% of the way the world speaks. Maybe in the ghetto's and podunks, they swear each and every other word but generally the world is pretty decent about it. At least those that value literacy and intelligent conversations/interaction with others in the human race.

Reply to Swearing/Cursing Unnecessary or expressive?

You must be logged in to post a reply!