Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Swearing/Cursing Unnecessary or expressive?

Posted Dec 5, '12 at 12:33am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,704 posts

Bloody- in England this is cosidered a cuss word. Now you know why they say bloody Hell in Harry Potter

Do you know this for a fact? Or are you basing it off of that phrase? Because the word bloody itself has the same meaning there as it does here...the use of bloody hell most likely has to do with the idea of making hell also bloody..adding more expression to the phrase (oh ****..see what I did there? expression)

Maybe you should care what other people think. You know you doesn't care about what other people think? Honey Boo Boo and Crew, Octomom, and the likes of Lindsay Lohan. Do I need to continue the list?

Jesus, Galileo, Martin Luther (religious figure), Martin Luther King Jr. (black figure), Lincoln, Dawkins, Mark Buerhle, Michael Jordan...to name a very few. So yes, you do need to continue that list. Because not caring can also be very beneficial

Actually, its not 90% of the way the world speaks. Maybe in the ghetto's and podunks, they swear each and every other word but generally the world is pretty decent about it. At least those that value literacy and intelligent conversations/interaction with others in the human race.

Hi, I very much enjoy and value literacy and intelligent conversation. I have been labeled extremely intelligent, aced the ACT on my first time without a calculator, can skim a college level book and then lead my class in discussions over the book and the figurative language and devices used in it, and I have I am in the top 1% of my school & top 5-3% of country according to some standardized test (tested multiple subjects, hence my range in country statistic). I also enjoy my free usage of swearing

Posted Dec 5, '12 at 1:18am

xXxDAPRO89xXx

xXxDAPRO89xXx

5,402 posts

Swearing is completely unnecessary. Its not free-speech. Its not expressionism. Its completely rude and uncalled for.

Oh please... Free speech is something everyone should have the right to. Some people may stretch this ideal though... You might think it's rude but it's feelings... We have to deal with them. No big deal.

Posted Dec 5, '12 at 2:18am

PauseBreak

PauseBreak

317 posts

When used under the pretense of expressionism its an excuse to behave poorly. Obviously, its expressing anger. But when coupled with such an elitist term of expressionism its grabbing at straws for a validity.

Free speech has its limits and bounds. Yes, the American constitution grants people the use of opinions without the fear of imprisonment or punishment. But private organizations, such as AG for a prime example, have rules and regulations for which they wish to operate their site. If they firmly express certain rules they are at liberty to exercise those rights without the government intruding.

But this isn't about 1st Amendment rights or the limiting thereof. This is about every day, talking to friends, family, and colleagues. The OP (original poster) is asking whether its expressionism or unnecessary; and I'm siding quite strong that its unnecessary. Whereas the counter argument could be considered as free rein for any situation. e.g. Graffiti is argued to be expressionism but rightfully so its straight vandalism. Regardless if its scribbles of someone's name or something very beautiful; without prior consent its destruction of property; private or public.

Conclusion to expressionism. Its art. Not some slaw-jaw hick swearing every other words towards his ma', pa', children, cat, and dog because its "how he is." Its piss poor at most.

@pangtongshu

Because not caring can also be very beneficial

I agree, but you took my comments out of context. You described figures that changed the world. Not people who "donna care 'bout wat peeps think; i do whatever, i do what i want."
There is a clear distinction between your list and my list and you know that. Let's take MLK Jr. for example because you mentioned him. He gave speeches in suit and tie, clean and pressed clothes. He didn't go around giving speeches or support groups swear left and right in his night ware, under ware, or a graphic T which sported "***** rapz" in gold embroidery. He acted professionally and utilized respect.
*I won't get into his dark side because it's not the point.

Obviously people swear. Obviously people swear more when around their friends. Its happens I understand that. But the topic has moved so far from the OP's discussion. I'm going to quote it again and start from there.

As you probably have found out AG does not allow you to swear and it blocks out the words in replace with asterisks. Although this might be what AG is trying to do you can bypass this very easily.

Anyway, what is your opinion? Do you think AG and grow up? Most 12 year olds see more swearing at school than they would if swearing was unblocked on a forum, is there really a point? On the other hand though swearing is just unnecessary and it might be best to get away from it as much as possible.

I personally think swearing is unnecessary but I believe it shouldn't be blocked.

He's suggesting that because AG doesn't allow profanity that it should "grow up"? (maybe that's not what he meant, he kind of dropped the ball on that idea.)
So he agrees that it is unnecessary but that it shouldn't be blocked. Well, that's a contradiction.

I support AG and their blacklist of words and phrases. Its their choice and quite frankly, just because you hear and say profanity "everywhere" does not make it now, O.K. Not to mention, America is a fast declining country in terms of education. And its not because teachers are paid like they should be. Its because the American people don't value literacy or education to be top priority. There's something to be said about the human race. Yes we are animals, mammals, homosapiens, we are sentient beings. Out of all creation on earth we managed to construct abstractions such as mathematics and written and spoken languages. And the fact that some people would rather lower themselves to the grunts and squeals of a chimpanzee is in the least to say, disappointing.
As a human we should be bettering ourselves and not falling to the lowest common denominator of petty filth-strung sentences.

TLDR: Learn to read.

Posted Dec 5, '12 at 2:40am

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

440 posts

So he agrees that it is unnecessary but that it shouldn't be blocked. Well, that's a contradiction.

No. All he did was suggest that he personally is not one for swearing but that he believes that people should be allowed to expressed themselves without censorship. And don't get "expressed" confused with "expressionism" as if I were suggesting it's some form of art.

Not to mention, America is a fast declining country in terms of education. And its not because teachers are paid like they should be. Its because the American people don't value literacy or education to be top priority. There's something to be said about the human race. Yes we are animals, mammals, homosapiens, we are sentient beings. Out of all creation on earth we managed to construct abstractions such as mathematics and written and spoken languages. And the fact that some people would rather lower themselves to the grunts and squeals of a chimpanzee is in the least to say, disappointing.
As a human we should be bettering ourselves and not falling to the lowest common denominator of petty filth-strung sentences.

This is spurious reasoning. You're under the impression that swearing is associated with illiteracy and lack of education, but this is simply not true. Plenty of people swear, both smart and stupid. It's more an indication of personality (but barely) than it is of intelligence. If you want to talk about education, there are much more important things to consider than the ubiquity of swear words.

Posted Dec 5, '12 at 8:59am

pickpocket

pickpocket

5,882 posts

Most of the time, comebacks are a bad choice. People can't catch them, it's not fast enough, seems too nerdy, too detached, no emotion. Scratch that, cursing is still better at getting your point across.

I prefer a decent mix of the two.
Yeah, thats from page 3. Im like that, what of it?

Maybe you should care what other people think. You know you doesn't care about what other people think? Honey Boo Boo and Crew, Octomom, and the likes of Lindsay Lohan. Do I need to continue the list?

Do you know who cares what other people think? Social outcasts, snotty "popular" kids. Do I need to continue the list? Its best not to care what they think, they usually are wrong anyways.

Or, if you really feel compelled to swear so much, I can only assume your parents failed you in how to act like a functioning member of society.

If you are so against it, I can only assume your parents are over-protective and treat you like a child.

Posted Dec 5, '12 at 9:04am

pickpocket

pickpocket

5,882 posts

A bit to add.

"***** rapz" in gold embroidery. He acted professionally and utilized respect.

You think we do that? Its rather obvious that you should act profesional when you are in business and/or school. This gives you a better chance at the job. What me and pang are talking about is simply cursing with our friends. I do that. I dont call people names. I do things more like humor or, "hurry the **** up". Its part of growing up in `Merica now a-days.

Posted Dec 5, '12 at 1:39pm

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,856 posts

You think we do that? Its rather obvious that you should act profesional when you are in business and/or school. This gives you a better chance at the job. What me and pang are talking about is simply cursing with our friends. I do that. I dont call people names. I do things more like humor or, "hurry the **** up". Its part of growing up in `Merica now a-days.

I guess swearing isn't that bad in moderation, because it is to put emphasis on something, like "Get the **** over here!" or the like, but having half a sentence made of swears is ridiculous.

Swearing in the professional side of things does not work, though, and I like replacing swears with big words, like imbecilic, moronic, or use the word "bloody".

Posted Dec 5, '12 at 10:53pm

BRAAINZz

BRAAINZz

797 posts

I guess swearing isn't that bad in moderation, because it is to put emphasis on something, like "Get the **** over here!" or the like, but having half a sentence made of swears is ridiculous.

I completely agree, my old french teacher once said "All those people who swear a lot prove is that they don't have a vocabulary."

If used once in a while, it's completely fine and understandable. Swearing in frustration or pain are good examples of this. Using swear words as an adjective as common as "Good" or "Big" and the effect is wasted. In my opinion, swearing constantly makes you look stupid in my eyes.

If you are so against it, I can only assume your parents are over-protective and treat you like a child.

Child before swearing, or after? I have to say, children nowadays swear way too often, and anything over once is really two often. When a seven-year-old tells me to "**** off" I think much less of society.

Posted Dec 6, '12 at 3:09am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,704 posts

When used under the pretense of expressionism its an excuse to behave poorly. Obviously, its expressing anger. But when coupled with such an elitist term of expressionism its grabbing at straws for a validity.

Anger isn't the only way you can use it as expression...there is stress, annoyance, joy, melancholy, excitement, etc

The OP (original poster) is asking whether its expressionism or unnecessary; and I'm siding quite strong that its unnecessary

Swearing can be very helpful with expressions...if someone is annoyed and says "leave me alone I'm annoyed"..I get he is annoyed but there isn't much to it. I'll probably still pester him...but add in a swear: "Leave me alone I'm ****ing annoyed"..now I get a feeling of a bit more animosity in the sentence and that I should probably let him be for some time

You described figures that changed the world. Not people who "donna care 'bout wat peeps think; i do whatever, i do what i want."

No..I described figures that didn't care what others thought. Had they cared so much..they very much most likely would not at all had made the impacts that they did.

*I won't get into his dark side because it's not the point.

All I see when I read this is "I won't get into his dark side because it takes away from my point" (your POV, not mine)

I support AG and their blacklist of words and phrases.

So you are perfectly fine with how Hell doesn't get censored, even when used as a swear/curse word...but r@pe does?

Posted Dec 8, '12 at 2:10am

sensanaty

sensanaty

1,145 posts

...I can only assume your parents failed you in how to act like a functioning member of society.

Please, let's not resort to Ad Hominem. We're both grown-ups (I suppose), so there's no need for it. Also, don't label just about anyone that swears as "useless" and "failures". I've grown up in a society where communism has all of a sudden changed to the complete opposite, the country ripped itself into 5 pieces and now it's a living hell hole where murder is pretty much an everyday occurrence. So, swearing really isn't that big of a deal

You described figures that changed the world. Not people who "donna care 'bout wat peeps think; i do whatever, i do what i want."

What, just because they brought change to the world makes it okay to ignore the fact that they also don't care what others thought of them?
And if you re-read what I said, I did not say I don't care in the slightest about everything I do. I told the person I replied to that I do not care whether he thinks me immature/stupid/etc just because I swear. In an earlier post I addressed the issue that in certain situations, of course swearing should be limited (e.g job interviews, formal situations).

Reply to Swearing/Cursing Unnecessary or expressive?

You must be logged in to post a reply!