ForumsThe TavernGeneral "School" Thread

34 5940
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

So, there may I have been a thread like this before, if there was, I don't recall it or haven't seen it for a while.

Basically; discuss anything about school here.
How long is your school day?
Your results?
Least Favourite/Favourite subjetcs/teachers.

All along the lines of that, really.

• 34 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

School has ended. University beckons.

HELL YEAH.

I liked all my subjects, that's why I chose them. Lit, Econs, History, Math.

Generally it starts at 7 30am and ends at 3 30pm.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

I'm a freshman in college, so my "school day" is variable. We operate on a quarter system, three courses a quarter (with the opportunity to take four if desired). Last semester, I averaged about two hours of lecture time a day, excluding Wednesday labs, which added an additional two to three hours of "in-class time" to my week.

College is harder than high school, though it may depend on what university you end up at. Here, unless you came from a prominent feeder school, being valedictorian or salutatorian of your class is almost an implicit prerequisite. The competition is tough but not cut-throat. But ultimately, you can't come in here expecting to attain a 4.0 GPA and become valedictorian again. I realized that far too late into the term. That epiphany came in the middle of my second chemistry midterm, the material of which I missed several lectures on (dem morning classes). The first midterm was a joke (I also missed a few lectures for it), so I figured the second one wouldn't be that bad. Turns out I didn't even cover half the material I needed to know while I was studying. I failed.

Nonetheless, I enjoy chemistry, biology (as long as I'm not tested on trivial material), physics, math, and economics the most. Yeah, not much love for dem humanities. But they force upon us a liberal arts education through distributive requirements and expository classes, so I'm taking physiology, economics, and a course about the history of Caribbean women next term. Fun.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

How long is your school day?

Tries to do math....nah to much work. About 8 hours I believe.
Your results?

Results? I come home and do some homework and then do something else not school related.

Least favorite subject: would be English, but it is alright.
Favorite subject: Math or maybe Physics
Favorite teacher: My Stats teacher last year
Least Favorite teacher: My Honors Algebra II teacher
AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Least Favorite Subject: History
Least Favorite Teacher: My science teacher for middle school.
Favorite Subject: Math/English/Science (So...Math)
Favorite Teacher (This Year): English teacher.
fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

Least Favorite Subject: Math
Least Favorite Teacher: My second grade teacher
Favorite Subject: Music(That's Band or Choir they are both my favorite)
Favorite Teacher: My History/English teacher (This teacher teaches both History and English... This is reffered to as AB.)

Roxxar123
Roxxar123
61 posts
Farmer

Least Favorite Subject: Math.
Least Favorite Teacher: 8th grade Science or P.E teacher
Favorite Subject: Elective (In this case, it's Wood-shop)
Favorite Teacher: Wood-shop. He's really chill :P

collimore
collimore
45 posts
Peasant

Least Favorite Subject: Geometry (It shouldn't even be called math!)
Least Favorite Teacher: P.E. Teacher
Favorite Subject: World History
Favorite Teacher: World History!

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

8AM to 3:06 PM.Track and field practice followed by general music. Then English and super easy math (Killersup had straight Cs because he was told that 7th grade didn't count towards high school, but 8th grade did. So he purposely got Cs so he got a mildly easy class. So now he gets A-B+ while the rest of the class is lucky to get a D...) in the morning. Then a break for lunch, then after that is a history and general science class. After that, chorus practice and the end of the day.

English class is boring, but goes somewhat fast. Math, thats soooooo BORING.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

I don't know why every time I create a thread I forgot to comment on what I'm asking myself, but yeah..

So..
My school day is 9:00 > 3:36.
9 classes a day, each at 38 minutes.
Two breaks, one 15 minutes the other 45 minutes.

They only changed all of that in September, new vice-principal, new almost everything, for the worse, in my opinion, but I suppose that isn't too relevant.

I do 13 subjects a week, if I'm correct.
Those being, English, Irish, Maths, P.E, Science, Business, French, German, CSPE, SPHE, Religion, History and Geography.

Out of those; the only one's I go like "Ugh. We have that next." for are French and SPHE.
I've got the same teacher for both those subjects, so that might explain something.
Other than that; I don't really mind anything else but the subjects I particularly enjoy going to are P.E, History and Maths.
My history teacher is great, funny and whatnot.
I hate my P.E teacher, but it's a break from school work for 90 minutes so it's always an enjoyable class to look forward to.
Maths, I don't really know why I like it, I'm somewhat okay at it, I guess. I just find the class always goes incredibly fast.

My results are usually good, I suppose.
Last Maths tests > 100%, 100% and 96%.
Last History tests > 100%, 97% and 93%
Last Irish Test > 88%
Last German Test > 91%
Last Geography Test > 100%
Last Business Test > 100%
Last Science Test > 98%

I've not got a test in English, CSPE, SPHE, Religion, French and P.E
We usually don't get Religion, PE, SPHE and CSPE tests throughout the year, at all, so I'd be surprised if I got one anytime soon.

I do have Christmas tests starting the 17th of December, though.
How lovely..

tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

What science are you taking? Or is it just a general science class?

ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

School:

Seven
Crappy
Hours
Of
Our
Lives

I love chorus, English and history. I usually like science, but my teacher's a neat freak. Dx

BurnKush420
BurnKush420
100 posts
Nomad

i gotta say i honestly love school this year. its my last year of high school, most of my teachers are really chill. plus my classes are pretty easy and i have friends in most of my classes. honestly i think its my favorite year of school so far

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Day length - 7:25 to 2:25
7 classes...50 min each. 4 min passing time in halls, 3 lunch periods (you are assigned to either lunch A, B, or C depending on 5th hour class)

My results? I'm lazy..so bad. I'm the student that doesn't do his homework..but understands the subject easily...or doesn't read the assigned chapters of the book (I skim it at best) but leads the discussions on what is happening and what all the figurative language is and why they are there

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

What science are you taking

It's just general science until the year after next.
In Ireland; the first three years of secondary school it's "Science" but for your final two years in school, you can pick between Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Ag Science.

I love chorus

What's chorus?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Maybe he means choir practice.

Showing 1-15 of 34