Forums

ForumsPopular Media

The Hobbit

Posted Dec 11, '12 at 12:30pm

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

3,454 posts

Yesterday I watched all of the Lord of the Rings extended editions in one day with very small breaks so now I can watch the Hobbit in peace knowing that I've been prepared.

After watching all of those movies I really hope that they don't make the characters as much of idiots as the Lord of the Rings characters were in the movies.

I do not yet know if there'll be a midnight premier at my local theater but if there is then I'll hopefully be there. can't wait!

Posted Dec 11, '12 at 12:34pm

darthbanana

darthbanana

2 posts

its almost come out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Dec 11, '12 at 3:58pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,070 posts

Knight

Pray tell, what other hobbits are you talking about, unless you are saying that The Hobbit happens after the main trilogy, which is just ridiculous.

In the beginning of the book, it is mentioned how Gandalf is infamous amongst hobbits for taking some of them in adventures from time to time, no details are specified though. But some relatives of Bilbo, from the less respectable side of the family (from Belladonna Touc, at least that's how she's called in French) had adventures. And I got the feeling that Gandalf had his hand in there too, as he was aware of that.

Posted Dec 11, '12 at 7:55pm

AJtheConquerer

AJtheConquerer

38 posts

yes, it will be a trilogy, but only the first two will be based off of the book... the other will have other add on storys i think

Posted Dec 11, '12 at 9:34pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,263 posts

@HaHiHa, could you give me a page number, I have access to the book. (page and chapter, in case the pages differ)

@Manly, You own the extended collectors edition, cool. They left out some really good scenes in the originals.

@AJ, I heard somewhere that the third will be focused on Gandalf's hiatus during the middle of the journey, when he went to drive out Sauron (The Necromancer)

p.s. I am annoyed as it will probably be at least 4 if not 6 years before I can by the Extended Collector's Editions of the Hobbit movies.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Dec 11, '12 at 9:46pm

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

3,454 posts

@Jacen: only for the second and third, we watched a friends copy. But that's not the point, the point's that it took (with some breaks) 14.5 hours from the time we started fellowship to the end of the return of the kings!

Posted Dec 12, '12 at 1:01am

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,263 posts

That sounds about right, although when I watch them, it is usually one movie each day.

return of the kings!

Return of the KING

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 9:26pm

Bronze

Bronze

2,337 posts

I can safely say the movie is awesome. PJ captured the light-heartedness of the book brilliantly, but it still feels like the Middle-Earthe created in his LoTR movies.

I was worried abour several things: the CGI, the added stuff, and the fact that the movie was split into 3 parts.

So first, the CGI. I heard how cartoonish it was and that it was overused, but after watching the film, I have to disagree. The CGI was consistently good. There is a distinct style, much different from Lotr. That's a fair reason to dislike it, but I feel like it fit the lighter tone of the movie. I can also safely say that there are still plenty of stuntmen in goblin suits.

I didn't like the idea of added stuff at first, but as a Middle-Earth nut, I can't deny that it made me smile to see Dol Guldur (I want to spoil that scene so badly) and the White Council (Saruman!). On the other hand, the whole plotline about Azog seemed a little unneeded, but I'll need to see the other movies before I can really say how I feel about it.

I still think The Hobbit should be two parts, but I'm accepting of the fact nonetheless. Atleast with 3 parts, there will be plenty of time to allow the smaller details of Middle-Earth to be shown. And more time in Middle-Earth is never bad.

And for the true lore fan, there are many name drops that only someone who has delved into the depths of Middle-Earth will get. MINOR Spoilers, my favorite is when Gandalf discusses the five wizards. Instead of making up names for the two Blue wizards, Gandalf simply states that he forgot their names.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 9:36pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,164 posts

Knight

The third part is not The Hobbit, or so I heard? From the Silmarillion?

my favorite is when Gandalf discusses the five wizards. Instead of making up names for the two Blue wizards

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 10:08pm

Bronze

Bronze

2,337 posts

It would be odd to jump to the Silmarillion. I figured the second film would end with the death of Smaug and the third would culminate with the Battle of Five Armies. But I don't know, I'll have to research that.

Reply to The Hobbit

You must be logged in to post a reply!