41 posts
Farmer

It will be awesome. Very awesome.

• 80 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Why didn't he die at the Battle of Azanulbizar?

The movie claimed he didn't die? Well, Bolg does appear in the battle, does he not, in the movie? Not that we know yet.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I haven't even watched it yet, and... I'm strangely unexcited about it suddenly. They're making a three-part epos out of a small child story, and I'm starting to doubt it can come out well.

I do look forward to the Battle of the Five Armies however, but that's not for some time

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

Anyway.
Watched the movie. I don't have any comprehensible words to describe the experience, but, well... I did doubt the reasoning behind stretching the story over three movies. I do not have such a doubt any more, and I am welcoming anything Jackson and crew can come up with.
The pacing and storytelling is good, the atmosphere is fitting and... I am impressed and will look forward to seeing Smaug next year(?).

Desolation of Smaug is supposed to come out next year, and There and Back Again in 2014.

I saw the movie, and it was great, especially after reading all the books. The movie and the book went pretty much hand-in-hand. Only critiques I have about the movie: The goblin scene stretched out a little long, but wasn't bad. And Gandalf and Bilbo didn't have their ring-smoking contest like they had in the book. Neither a big deal, over all the movie was great.
Besch
Besch
37 posts
Scribe

I really liked who they kept you from seeing Smaug. All you could recognize were a few shadows.

A friend of mine who read the book said they invented some parts to it (i really must read this book!!). Anyway, I am looking forward to watch the next part (like some people in the cinema said: "Till next year, have a nice Christmas!" :P

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

You really do need to read the book, hey did add lots of parts but it worked beautifully. I'm reading the book again since I've watched it and will be doing so again soon enough.

Sabrith
Sabrith
5 posts
Peasant

I must say, the first movie was great. I was a little suspicious when I heard they were dragging it out into three movies, like butter scraped over too much bread. Alas, it was more than what I could have hoped for, being in line with the book quite well so far.

Sabrith
Sabrith
5 posts
Peasant

I regret ever doubting it, I mean.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

i think the hobbs will be a good movie.
(i know its out already)

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

One thing I loved about it all is Thorin, and his marvelous acting. Byronic hero.
Radagast's scenes were also cutely comical and light hearted.

AvengedSevenfold11
AvengedSevenfold11
529 posts
Nomad

Best film of 2012 for sure.

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Saw the Hobbit, it was good, but not perfect. The first hour especially has its issues, it was a bit slow and stretched out at times. Anyway, overall it is a well made and fun movie. Definitely looking forward to the sequels.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Saw the Hobbit, it was good, but not perfect. The first hour especially has its issues, it was a bit slow and stretched out at times.

I think the second half made up for it quite well though.
idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

Did they add parts? I mean its a 300 page book dragged out into 3 two hour movies? come on. Seriously. Thats insane.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

Most of the stuff added to the movie is from the appendices at the back of RotK, notes from Tolkien, and stuff only alluded to in the Hobbit. Oh and stuff just made up by PJ.

And if you honestly don't know who the Necromancer is, I won't spoil it.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

The Necromancer was mentioned in the main LOTR books (Correct?) so shame on you who do not know.

Showing 46-60 of 80