Forums

ForumsPopular Media

The Hobbit

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 10:11pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,585 posts

Knight

My bad. Rumors are untrue; it's based on Tolkien's Hobbit notes.

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 5:14am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,522 posts

Knight

@HaHiHa, could you give me a page number, I have access to the book. (page and chapter, in case the pages differ)

If you have access to the book, just read the few first pages. But I gotta admit, it nowhere says that Gandalf was taking Hobbits on adventures, it just says that he is responsible for the fact certain Hobbits went on adventures. For me, both always were one and the same.

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 7:58am

dalang

dalang

12 posts

its actually in theater right now and i still not watching it

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 11:25am

Jacen96

Jacen96

3,174 posts

Like he said the FOTR, "All I did was give Bilbo (or whatever other hobbit) a little nudge out the door"

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 8:00pm

Cenere

Cenere

14,017 posts

Knight

it just says that he is responsible for the fact certain Hobbits went on adventures.

Not to derp around in this any more than necessary, but, all things considered, it might have been smaller adventures. Like going out in the forest, looking for elves, or going to Bree. This, however, could very well be his reasoning for taking along Hobbits on the more - dangerous adventures.
If nothing, I do believe Gandalf had a special place in his heart for the Hobbits, because they were quite different in nature from the elves or the humans, which is another fine reason to go looking for help from them than from either of the other two.

Anyway.
Watched the movie. I don't have any comprehensible words to describe the experience, but, well... I did doubt the reasoning behind stretching the story over three movies. I do not have such a doubt any more, and I am welcoming anything Jackson and crew can come up with.
The pacing and storytelling is good, the atmosphere is fitting and... I am impressed and will look forward to seeing Smaug next year(?).

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 9:27pm

Bronze

Bronze

2,454 posts

Like I said in my last post, the only thing I'm not sure about is Azog. Why didn't he die at the Battle of Azanulbizar? It doesn't make much sense to me. They could've used that scene to introduce Dain, who kills Azog in the books. Azog had a son, Bolg, who is in The Hobbit. Why not have him pursue the dwarves instead?

Posted Dec 17, '12 at 7:44am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,585 posts

Knight

Why didn't he die at the Battle of Azanulbizar?

The movie claimed he didn't die? Well, Bolg does appear in the battle, does he not, in the movie? Not that we know yet.

Posted Dec 17, '12 at 2:12pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,522 posts

Knight

I haven't even watched it yet, and... I'm strangely unexcited about it suddenly. They're making a three-part epos out of a small child story, and I'm starting to doubt it can come out well.

I do look forward to the Battle of the Five Armies however, but that's not for some time

Posted Dec 17, '12 at 9:41pm

jdoggparty

jdoggparty

5,955 posts

Anyway.
Watched the movie. I don't have any comprehensible words to describe the experience, but, well... I did doubt the reasoning behind stretching the story over three movies. I do not have such a doubt any more, and I am welcoming anything Jackson and crew can come up with.
The pacing and storytelling is good, the atmosphere is fitting and... I am impressed and will look forward to seeing Smaug next year(?).

Desolation of Smaug is supposed to come out next year, and There and Back Again in 2014.

I saw the movie, and it was great, especially after reading all the books. The movie and the book went pretty much hand-in-hand. Only critiques I have about the movie: The goblin scene stretched out a little long, but wasn't bad. And Gandalf and Bilbo didn't have their ring-smoking contest like they had in the book. Neither a big deal, over all the movie was great.

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 5:58pm

Besch

Besch

45 posts

I really liked who they kept you from seeing Smaug. All you could recognize were a few shadows.

A friend of mine who read the book said they invented some parts to it (i really must read this book!!). Anyway, I am looking forward to watch the next part (like some people in the cinema said: "Till next year, have a nice Christmas!" :P

Reply to The Hobbit

You must be logged in to post a reply!