AJtheConquerer
AJtheConquerer
41 posts

It will be awesome. Very awesome.

• 80 Replies
Bronze
Bronze
2,429 posts

Most of the stuff added to the movie is from the appendices at the back of RotK, notes from Tolkien, and stuff only alluded to in the Hobbit. Oh and stuff just made up by PJ.

And if you honestly don't know who the Necromancer is, I won't spoil it.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,468 posts

The Necromancer was mentioned in the main LOTR books (Correct?) so shame on you who do not know.

jeol
jeol
3,843 posts

The Necromancer was mentioned in the main LOTR books (Correct?) so shame on you who do not know.

Supposedly it was mentioned, but Gandalf dealt with him in the Quest of Erebor, and the entire tale from Return of the King was written in Unfinished Tales.

Reference.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,468 posts

Meaning that Dol Guldur was mentioned quite a bit in the more famous LOTR books, which we already have had a decade since the release of RotK.

AJtheConquerer
AJtheConquerer
41 posts

I was recently annoyed because I hadn't read the book before I watched the movie and it makes me mad how much stuff they made up... even though some off them did make the movie a bit more climactic... e.g. when Gandalf breaks the rock and freezes the trolls... it did not happen in the book

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts

I was recently annoyed because I hadn't read the book before I watched the movie and it makes me mad how much stuff they made up... even though some off them did make the movie a bit more climactic... e.g. when Gandalf breaks the rock and freezes the trolls... it did not happen in the book

You've really got to regard the books and the movies as separate entities. It's not fair to judge one based on the other, because it's its own thing, a self-contained piece of art.

I'm fine with however many movies PJ decides to make, just as long as they don't drag or feel like they have filler material just to justify their existence.
The first one seemed to stand very well on its own, let's wait and see what the others are like.
AJtheConquerer
AJtheConquerer
41 posts

I've learned that they have to make up at least 30% of the book...

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,468 posts

How can you get mad if you haven't read the book yet? Paradox much?

Anyway, it's not ''made up'' per se. The extra material comes from 125 or so of Tolkien's additional notes on the Hobbit.
JuicyFruits
JuicyFruits
172 posts

Guess what, I'm finally reading the book and seeing the movie soon!

It's a bad idea to watch the movie first, but anyways the book and the movie always has something different in it. I haven't seen the movie yet and I'm close to being done with the book but how would you know if you haven't read the book?
jeol
jeol
3,843 posts

It's a bad idea to watch the movie first, but anyways the book and the movie always has something different in it.

True that.

Also, I don't see how that's comparably worse to the LotR trilogy... Apparently there was a lot more added/dropped/changed that wasn't in LotR lore compared to the Hobbit.

Gosh, I suppose nobody read the reference I linked in my post above :P
AJtheConquerer
AJtheConquerer
41 posts

Ok in some cases the movie is better than the book

For example: the blind side, shawshank redemption, princess bride

JuicyFruits
JuicyFruits
172 posts

Ok in some cases the movie is better than the book
Yea like barely any. I don't even remember like any of the books to some of the movies.
piwit
piwit
53 posts

As they always say...
The Book is better than the Movies!!

xian37
xian37
15 posts

the movie is pretty good and let's wait for the part to of The Hobbit and start watching the Lord of the Rings hahaha

piwit
piwit
53 posts

Yeah that's right...cant wait to see the part 2 of this movie..

Showing 61-75 of 80