ForumsGamesCrush the Castle vs Angry Birds

25 7143
JackMinnow
JackMinnow
29 posts
Blacksmith

So... has Rovio Mobile paid royalties to joeybetz or something or was the game public domain? While the physical game concept can't be copyrighted (defense games, Fighting games, FPS, RTS, etc), Angry Birds shamelessly copied every single game design and mechanic from Crush the Castle. Swap projectiles for birds, a catapult for a slingshot, and pigs for nobility. It makes me slightly indignant as a loyal and long time fan of CtC.

• 25 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Honestly...I'm not a fan of either of them...but I hate how everyone acts like Angry Birds is this awesome and original idea

Same with Words With Friends...it is literally the exact same game as Scrabble. Only difference is the colour scheme

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I wouldn't call Angry Birds an exact copy, in CTC you can use whatever items you have unlocked, in Angry Birds you have what the level chooses for you.

In Angry Birds, you have a pull and release slingshot, the trebuchet in CTC functions much differently. (IT IS A TREBUCHET, NOT A CATAPULT)

~~~Darth Caedus

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

Angry Birds is so overrated! It pisses me off.

I agree. I haven't seen anything special about it.
JuicyFruits
JuicyFruits
171 posts
Nomad

but I hate how everyone acts like Angry Birds is this awesome and original idea

Same with Words With Friends...it is literally the exact same game as Scrabble. Only difference is the colour scheme
I hate it too. Its just dumb and they just made Words with Friends on the iPod and all that stuff. Its more fun when you play it on a real board game. But I would have to say Angry Birds.
JackMinnow
JackMinnow
29 posts
Blacksmith

Good point, Jacen. *Slaps myself for the trebuchet mistake* Still, the similarities are too close for me to ignore.

DaemonVeril
DaemonVeril
217 posts
Peasant

I'd say just let it alone, I mean both games have been out for quite a while.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Its more fun when you play it on a real board game.

Then they made Words With Friends the board game
/facepalm
"Tired of playing Scrabble? Well try Words With Friends! Same game..but an awesome new colour scheme!"
JackMinnow
JackMinnow
29 posts
Blacksmith

LOL Pang

AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

I honestly can't understand the hype for this kinds of games. I honestly can't spend hours after hours swinging my fingers around until I get three stars. Crush the Castle is better in my opinion, because every new sequel has something good, rather than Angry Birds with their new scenery and one or two bird changes. Crush the Castle takes skill, while Angry Birds players tend to guess and check here and there.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

crush the castle is much easier. but therefor more enjoyable as a fast game in between.

KaneShadow
KaneShadow
42 posts
Nomad

Undoubtedly Angry Birds is a ripoff of Crush the Castle, and because of their successfulness, they made a freakin' theme park out of it. *tsk* *tsk* *tsk*

Just look at this article, if you want: http://www.cracked.com/article_20057_5-insanely-successful-video-games-that-were-total-ripoffs.html

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

btw why are you guys so sure that crush the castle was the 1st on the scene?
maybe the ripped it of from some other to us all unknown game.
kinda hard for me to accept that crush the castle was the 1st.

Hikakin_Fan
Hikakin_Fan
396 posts
Lord

Crush the castle 2 is better because there is no full version junk you need to buy and theres more types of things and they are better.also you can make your own castles on crush the castle 2.

KaneShadow
KaneShadow
42 posts
Nomad

btw why are you guys so sure that crush the castle was the 1st on the scene?

There was no other game like Crush the Castle, it's as simple as that.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

*Facepalm* Ugh...

That isn't an acceptbale answer. Simply stating you know there weren't any other games like it before hand doesn't make it fact

In fact, if we want to argue, there were plenty of games like it made a long time ago..just with a more simple presentation. 1 paddle, 1 ball, a roof full of blocks, it is your job to break 'em
Showing 1-15 of 25