ForumsGamesDistance Games

26 4111
JackMinnow
JackMinnow
29 posts
Blacksmith

A phrase I've coined, a "distance" game is where the object is to throw or get a person or thing as far as possible. Examples: Flight, Burrito Bison, Polar Bear Sports, Kitten Cannon, etc. Though the concept has been around for ages, it died eons ago for me. Anyone know of a good twist or perhaps an idea that could bring much needed freshness to the genre?

• 26 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

We are obviously not playing the same game then.

Well I'm talking about Launch/Distance games...where the most work I do is when I pick what upgrade I want
EagleOfFire2
EagleOfFire2
125 posts
Shepherd

You don't seem to get what I'm trying to tell you.

You consider those games to be extremely simplistic.

I consider them to be strategic.

There is always something to do to optimize your flight path or whatever you are doing. If you don't and simply let the thing fly by itself then you are pretty much not playing the game at all.

That's all.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

There is always something to do to optimize your flight path or whatever you are doing. If you don't and simply let the thing fly by itself then you are pretty much not playing the game at all.

That is the point...I do basically let it fly by itself...yet I beat the game...very easily...
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

The only challenge is minimising the number of tries to finish, yet attain enough gold. There still is a semblance of difficulty in that, unless your only aim is simply to get to the end.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

Distance Games?
Always been a bit 'meh' to me, they're usually very grind orientated.
Even if some of them do require strategy, all of them are basically the same game with different upgrades and characters.

EagleOfFire2
EagleOfFire2
125 posts
Shepherd

That is the point...I do basically let it fly by itself...yet I beat the game...very easily...

It is your own choice to do so. By the same time you play a game, I beat you probably by half the time (in term of game unit) it took you to achieve the same thing.

Since the whole point of "distance games" is to do it as fast as possible, allow me to tell you that your technique fails to deliver.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

It is your own choice to do so. By the same time you play a game, I beat you probably by half the time (in term of game unit) it took you to achieve the same thing.

Since the whole point of "distance games" is to do it as fast as possible, allow me to tell you that your technique fails to deliver.

20 min at best...while doing other things on the computer. That short amount of time, while also not even paying attention to what is happening..not really a great gaming experience
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Definitions of success varies from person to person. To each his own; distance games also count amongst my favourites!

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I have found my distance game exceptions. I have two.
Chuck the Sheep and Into Space 2. If you incorporate something else you actually have to DO in it then it's more fun ^^

EagleOfFire2
EagleOfFire2
125 posts
Shepherd

pangtongshu, you are simply ignoring simple facts.

You had a question, I have given you the correct answer. Now I am not saying that you absolutely need to agree with it if you don't like it. But stop bashing distance games simply because you force them to be bad to you...

I think I wasted enough time on this thread now.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

You had a question, I have given you the correct answer. Now I am not saying that you absolutely need to agree with it if you don't like it. But stop bashing distance games simply because you force them to be bad to you...

1) I did not ask a question

2) I am not bashing them..I am stating why I find them...unsatisfactory. I am not forcing them to be bad to me...to me, they are bad. i understand others have different opinions, so if you'd like, i offer the following statement: All of what I have said are my opinions on launch/distance games.
Showing 16-26 of 26