ForumsGamesThe Best Defense is a Great Annoyance

13 3892
JackMinnow
JackMinnow
29 posts
Blacksmith

Perhaps I am jaded, but I have grown utterly sick of defense games. Army of Ages, Kingdom Rush, Gemcraft Labyrith, Bloons, Crimson Warfare, Shadez, Defend your Whatever, Demonic Defense, Plants vs Zombies, etc, are all great games but oh so similar. I realize there is only so much that can be done with the concept in and of itself, but it would be nice to see a new spin or something highly innovative.

• 13 Replies
DaemonVeril
DaemonVeril
217 posts
Peasant

Well you could take a look at a game like Orcs Must Die!, which lets you build defenses and third person action. I do understand your annoyance though, it does seem nowadays that most TD games are somewhat cookie cutter.

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Sorry, post got cut out.

Anyway, I know. I've been hating defence games forever and for some reason people think they're so original and well made. I think these games can be fun at all but the market is so flooded that other games are so much more fun to play. I didn't even like gemcraft but everyone is convinced it's one of the best games in the world.

I think that all the innovation in that market has been done for now and we need to move over to a different genre of games.

The only thing I can think of is opposite TD games where you're fighting against the towers. Those games are always fun.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

it would be nice to see a new spin or something highly innovative.

Two defense games that I really like are Elona Shooter and Enigmata Stellar War. They have some other elements that make them harder and more fun to play, along with re-playability.

The only thing I can think of is opposite TD games where you're fighting against the towers. Those games are always fun.

I have yet to see a single type of those games that I would ever spend more than 5 minutes playing.
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

I have yet to see a single type of those games that I would ever spend more than 5 minutes playing.

I'll admit, most of them are really bad because they're really not made by experienced coders. I honestly think that if multiplayer TD was put into a game (Plus a normal single player thing) it would go down really well.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Honestly...I only play them if I have nothing else to do..and even then it gets so old after a few short minutes

*buld tower(s)
*click play
*fastfoward
*Maybe build more towers to be safe
*repeat...with..same..towers

JackMinnow
JackMinnow
29 posts
Blacksmith

I honestly think that if multiplayer TD was put into a game (Plus a normal single player thing) it would go down really well.

Yes, YES, and more YES.
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

There is one good td... Kingdom rush. The rest are just dull.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Makes me cry >.<

Off the top of my head, here are all the TDs that are better than Kindgom Rush and why.

1) All Bloons tower defense games: Original concept (which while repetitive at the 5th instance...) that introduce unique enemies and a large variety of towers and levels. Open placement is a bonus.

2) Bubble Tanks Tower Defences: Somewhat generic enemies, but you make your own path. With also a larger variety of towers, plus the unique concept of combining up to a 8x8 grid of towers to make super towers which you can boost, is entertaining and variable. Different scenarios keep the game interesting.

3) Gemcraft: With the exception of Labyrinth, no premium content. A good skill component is implemented in the level up system and the ability to place towers where you want is good. Multiple modes change the game up a little and the combination of gems and use through different means gives a lot of strategy options.

Getting tired of this, but I think you all see my point by now...
Rakim
Rakim
143 posts
Treasurer

Two defense games that I really like are Elona Shooter and Enigmata Stellar War. They have some other elements that make them harder and more fun to play, along with re-playability.

I totally agree about Elona Shooter, that's my all time favorite defense game. I haven't tried Enigmata Stellar War, but I guess I'll have to, now.

And yes, defense games are getting really boring. Nobody seems to even try to be original these days.

Defense games isn't the only genre I'm growing extremely tired of. There are way too many unoriginal launch games, zombie games, RTS games and RPGs. The thing I hate most is that original and unique games often have a bad rating.
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

Sanctum and Orcs must die are like tower defence but you play as your character to help stop the enemies as well as building towers.

JackMinnow
JackMinnow
29 posts
Blacksmith

I checked em out, but they failed to meet my expectations, Cale

EagleOfFire2
EagleOfFire2
125 posts
Shepherd

First, KR is not even a tower game. You can move your troops and do some strategy this way instead of being stuck with having a tower and simply upgrading it.

Second, KR really suck. I've never been able to try more than two or three levels before throwing the towel. It's graphics are bad, there is no balance, the first few levels are way too hard and there is no obvious or less obvious chokepoints to start a level. It's like you really need to build different kind of troops in a line and hope that the next wave will be stopped before you run out of troops. Real TD games are like that, troop defense games like KR should not!

There is a game which is similar to KR which got out recently which is 10 times better. It is called Incursion. Better check it out.
Grael6774
Grael6774
139 posts
Nomad

would creeper world count as a TD? I think its format is similar though the goal is different..

Showing 1-13 of 13