ForumsGamesGame of the year.

121 25248
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

This could be any game released this year, from spelunky to halo 4.

• 121 Replies
Raptor4133
Raptor4133
8 posts
Nomad

Assassin's Creed 3

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

What game is actually original anyways?

assassins creed when it came out 1st.
spore
portal
brutal ledgend
katamari
postal
Dishonored
fortnite
spyparty
fez
Roxxar123
Roxxar123
61 posts
Farmer

@partydevil:

Okay, you got me. But I mean genres. Every single game is some sort of puzzle/action/adventure/beat-em-up/strategy/RPG/sport/arcade genre.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Okay, you got me. But I mean genres. Every single game is some sort of puzzle/action/adventure/beat-em-up/strategy/RPG/sport/arcade genre.

Well of course...every game goes to a genre. But just because it is a part of a genre doesn't mean it isn't original
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

what pangtong said.

and i did say that i dont mind if something is redone. but zombie games are over done. just like mario games are over done.

it isn't about the genre, it's about the concept and gameplay.
and zombies are a over rated concept that was fun 7 year ago. but is just plain annoying these days. thousands of zombies game flood the market all jumping on the zombie concept because it guaranteed is a success.
(much like how people keep buying the "new" CoD every year.)
but not a single one of them is original anymore because they had to use zombies. -.-'
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

thousands of zombies game flood the market all jumping on the zombie concept because it guaranteed is a success

Prepare for this to not only continue but to get stronger...the zombie industry is expected to rake in well over a billion dollars in the next 5 years
AustinBB410
AustinBB410
35 posts
Nomad

Yeah I'd say Borderlands 2 personally, but AC3 is probably what I think is actually going to win.

Runescape124
Runescape124
3,028 posts
Nomad

assassins creed when it came out 1st.
spore
portal
brutal ledgend
katamari
postal
Dishonored
fortnite
spyparty
fez

I wouldn't say that Dishonered is COMPLETELY original, it's basically Assasin's Creed with a steampunk-y feel, teleporting powers, voodoo magic... and that's about it.
Bluydee
Bluydee
3,426 posts
Nomad

what pangtong said.

and i did say that i dont mind if something is redone. but zombie games are over done. just like mario games are over done.

it isn't about the genre, it's about the concept and gameplay.
and zombies are a over rated concept that was fun 7 year ago. but is just plain annoying these days. thousands of zombies game flood the market all jumping on the zombie concept because it guaranteed is a success.
(much like how people keep buying the "new" CoD every year.)
but not a single one of them is original anymore because they had to use zombies. -.-'

And guns, swords, medieval, future, space, are, by the same logic, overdone.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

I wouldn't say that Dishonered is COMPLETELY original, it's basically Assasin's Creed with a steampunk-y feel, teleporting powers, voodoo magic... and that's about it.

yes it's a stealth game. but AC wasn't the 1st stealth game either.
thief or hitman for example are much older.

but the concept of the game is original. thats partly why i added it to that list. (just like brutal ledgend)
also did i add it because i can't call any other game in wich you can choose to kill, not kill or get past undetected to you objective.

And guns, swords, medieval, future, space, are, by the same logic, overdone.

those are very broad concepts.
zombies is a very narrow concept.
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

but the concept of the game is original. thats partly why i added it to that list. (just like brutal ledgend)
also did i add it because i can't call any other game in wich you can choose to kill, not kill or get past undetected to you objective.

Deus Ex and Splinter Cell (to a certain extent) come to mind. And no, steampunk isn't a 100% original setting either.
d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

zombies is a very narrow concept.

However a game being in the "zombie" genre does not define gameplay, and therefore does not define whether or not a game is original. You even listed Fortnite in your holy list of original games. What do you think you fight in that game? Zombies is the answer. From PvZ to the Black Ops minigame, there are an incredible amount of gameplay styles.
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Although zombies is a narrow concept in your eyes...it really isn't.

You can have a RPG, arcade, action, adventure, CYOA, Turn based RPG, Strategy zombies game if you wanted to.

Although zombies is a genre it shouldn't really be one. You can call the walking dead original because it combined two existing ideas and executed them almost perfectly. Nothing is really original anymore. It is all just about looking at existing ideas and combining them to make something perfect. Nearly all the games on your list could be split up into multiple different ideas that were formed together with a concept that had a bit of a twist to an already existing one.

thief or hitman for example are much older.

I think the developers even said that there was inspirations from these games. It shows, because thief is an amazing game.
jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

zombies is a very narrow concept

Compared CoD Zombies, to Left 4 Dead, and then to Dead Island. Three completely different games, all great though.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

And no, steampunk isn't a 100% original setting either.

so it was only partly the reason.

anyway. it's not the only example i gave. forget about it then and forget about fez 2.
the point i made is still there.

genre does not define gameplay, and therefore does not define whether or not a game is original.

not the gameplay but it does make the entire setting.
zombie games have/are A. always about the apocalypse. B a few or one last surviver. C. loads of slow and easy to kill enemy's. D. most have wierd weapons to kill whit.

You even listed Fortnite in your holy list of original games

holy? where you got that from?
it's just a list that jumped to mind. i never said anything about anything being holy.

What do you think you fight in that game?

can't say they are zombies really.
coming from under the ground. gone during the day. not looking like dead humans..

nha those aint zombies.

Nearly all the games on your list could be split up into multiple different ideas that were formed together with a concept that had a bit of a twist to an already existing one.

(look d_dude this a good argument )
yes most could. and that they brought it together and gave it their own twist to it. makes it original for me.
what is there to twist about zombies? if the zombies change, the public wont like it. (running, swimming and ladder climbing zombies have been tried and failed.)

I think the developers even said that there was inspirations from these games.

dunno that. i only follow a few developers. i dunno anything about the rest.
but there are a few compare-ables whit the games. so it wouldn't surprise me.
Showing 61-75 of 121